440?

Yep. It is.

Great, thanks. I had accidentally changed the setting and didn't know what to do. Panic!!

Well thats not good, i think mine says 444 :(

-UM :shaka:

Huh. I never noticed that before. It sure is. 440. :)

yes sir-eee... Standard = A 440

Not to worry. There's probably a setting on it to put it at A=440. Some tuners are adjustable in either direction to accomodate for playing in different situations, such as with flat pianos, or certain professional orchestras.

I read this on www. violinist.com

"Lots of orchestras tune to 442. According to a well known orchestral violinist I know, Boston Symphony Orchestra tunes to 444, NY Phil tunes to 443, and Berlin Phil tunes to 445. I personally really don't like 440 - I tune usually to 443 or 444 when I practice. "

Well thats not good, i think mine says 444 :(

-UM :shaka:

In case you're wondering Pam, the number 440 refers to the frequency of wave cycles per second, or Hertz (Hz). The frequency lessens as the note lowers, and vice versa.

A 440 is the A above middle C.

A=440 Hz (Hertz) is the one to use if you want to play along with friends or other instruments. If you're playing solo then pick what you want as long as you watch the tension and don't pull the bridge off the uke.

440 is often referred to as concert pitch. It is the musical pitch most often used and what we typically hear as "normal". There are some orchestras is the US and Europe that setup at a different pitch.

You can pitch instruments at different Hz, but if played together they will sound out of tune when the same notes are played. C at 440 will sound different than C at 450.

I have one chromatic tuner which can be set from 410 Hz - 480 Hz. It has a "tone" button for the note "C". When you play the C tone, and run up from 410 to 480 it sounds like a bend or slide on a fretboard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom