PDA

View Full Version : MGM appreciation thread.

tad
04-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Seriously. The man's the bomb.

seeso
04-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Let me add one more small voice to the choir. MGM you rule!

deach
04-23-2008, 06:20 PM
As a recent victim of UAS, I have to say, MGM is the devil. :D

but I mean that in a good way.

Ukulele_Junkie
04-23-2008, 06:30 PM
MGM is great he responds to his emails quickly, always works with accessories to your ukulele purchases, has the biggest variety of instruments and ships asap.

Only wish UPS would ship faster, then we can make an appreciation thread for them but i highly doubt that'll happen haha.

tad
04-23-2008, 06:38 PM
MGM is great he responds to his emails quickly, always works with accessories to your ukulele purchases, has the biggest variety of instruments and ships asap.

Only wish UPS would ship faster, then we can make an appreciation thread for them but i highly doubt that'll happen haha.

Dude, the concept of a UPS appreciation thread just made me LOL. Seriously.

Dominator
04-23-2008, 06:42 PM
It's great to see that this new forum allows even more people to experience the Aloha that MGM is all about. He is simply one of a kind. And don't let him kid you, he is a great musician to boot.

tad
04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
It's great to see that this new forum allows even more people to experience the Aloha that MGM is all about. He is simply one of a kind. And don't let him kid you, he is a great musician to boot.

It's gotten to the point that he's one of the "things" I want to go see when I eventually make it down to Hawaii.

Plainsong
04-23-2008, 06:54 PM
Two ukes (and probably counting) from MGM. He's a blessing... and a curse. :D

Oh, and I blame him for my ultimately deciding to low G the Pono with some Worths. ;)

Ukulele_Junkie
04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
And don't let him kid you, he is a great musician to boot.

we want vids!!

tad
04-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Two ukes (and probably counting) from MGM. He's a blessing... and a curse. :D

Oh, and I blame him for my ultimately deciding to low G the Pono with some Worths. ;)

The Worth junkie in me says... never blame anyone for forcing Worths on you. You'll see the light yet. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Plainsong
04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Just for that I'm gonna go put aquilas on my Risa uke-solid concert stick. I have a spare set.

Seriously I wonder what that would do. It would liven it up, but string noise and that pickup... hmmm....

drubin
04-23-2008, 07:47 PM
So true, Tad, so true. :D Mike Pereira swears by Worths. I went with his recommendation and man, was I blown away! Absolutely the best strings I've tried, hands down!

And about MGM, I completely agree: he's da man!

Poi Dog
04-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Yup - I'll add a +rep for that! MGM is awesome! I got my Koaloha from him lickity split, no sh**! :D

tad
04-23-2008, 07:54 PM
So true, Tad, so true. :D Mike Pereira swears by Worths. I went with his recommendation and man, was I blown away! Absolutely the best strings I've tried, hands down!

And about MGM, I completely agree: he's da man!

I impulse-bought a Mitchell MU-70 at Guitar Center-- big mistake. I was almost immediately disappointed. I hated the sound of it.

I was all ready to sell it on ebay for a loss, when I decided to put some Worth CM's on it. I had 'em on my KA-S, I liked 'em, the tone, the finger-feel, everything.

The Mitchell still don't sing like the Kala, but I'm holding onto it for the time being. It's all about the strings.

Ian Boys
04-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Hy... I"ll join the chorus, too!

Thanks a ton, MGM. No clue where I'd spend too much time looking at ukes that I can't afford and buying strings, cases, and ukes that I can afford (and 'need') if it weren't for you.

Thanks a ton for all you do. And it's great to hear from you here.

backdoc972
04-24-2008, 05:22 PM
UPS just today drove up to my house with a box from MGM. My new pono tenor. It's a beauty, but the string spacing is taking a bit to get used to. I can't seem to make a clean barre chord to save my life. No problems on my concert or on my guitars that I have played for years, but this little thing seems to have a string right where I have a joint and no matter what I do, at least one string is muted instead of fretted.

Not the Uke's fault. It is beautiful and has a nice mellow tone and arrived in perfecto condition.

Thanks Michael

tripl3thr33
04-24-2008, 06:05 PM
lol i can see it now, MGM's uke sales increase haha. it's what happens when you get an awesome merchant to deal with that goes out of his way for his customers :) thanks MGM!

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
04-24-2008, 06:10 PM
i bought my latest ukulele (Bugsgear Eleuke) from Mike just recently. i'm sure i'll be shopping at his place again.

MIKE BRINGS TEH RAWK!!1!!1 \m/ \m/

russ_buss
04-24-2008, 06:25 PM
MGM is awesome! buy all my strings there. the shipping is fast and cheap.

JumpingPulgas
04-24-2008, 06:32 PM
MGM for President :D

ukusaurus
04-24-2008, 06:43 PM
MGM for Prime Minister? :eek:

NotoriousMOK
04-24-2008, 06:48 PM
now there's a guy with an obvious love for this instrument and community -- cheers MGM !

MGM
04-24-2008, 07:58 PM
okay guys and gals....thanks but stop already. i am just an ordinary guy trying to do the best i can. i still get dressed one leg at a time.. fmake mistakes every day ...yell at my workers....bitch at my computor and get frustrated when a string buzzes and wish i had more time to play with my dog Sumo...

Plainsong
04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
But you get frustrated when the string buzzes so that we don't have to. That's awesome. :)

Kekani
04-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Okay, enough already.

MGM is a PITA!

He constantly bugs you on the phone, "When is it going to get done!?!!??" Then when he's done with you, he calls the next guy, or just shows up to see what you have in the shop.

He calls you today and says, "I need a pickup installed, by tomorrow because I told the guy it already shipped (no, he doesn't really, tell the guy that)." But, he does call for emergency pickup installations - seems all of them are emergencies.

And after you're done doing artwork on an `ukulele, he says, "Okay, since you did that, why don't we (like how he says "we") put this or that on as well (once you're already done)."

The one that confuses me is when you set up the instrument for him with a certain set of strings, he then realizes, "Oh, by the way, you KNOW I want Savarez installed right?" But nobody knows (by the posts on this thread) that Savarez is one of his favorite strings, SO, then a special order has to be put in because the strings are not available here. And, since he needed the instrument yesterday, even though the strings aren't coming in until tomorrow, which he knows, he keeps calling you, "Came in yet? Came in yet?"
Then, of course, you have to recut a nut, and redo the saddle (maybe).

Oh, and lets not forget the calls that deal with technology - "Hey! How come I can't print on Click-N-Ship?" Although you respond with, "I told you to use Endicia," he says, "Yeah, I know. No more time. Too much shipping to do."

There is the dark side of MGM, the side he puts us through, just to satisfy his customers. Which, invariably, become all of our customers as well. This is why he has "standing orders" with dealers, and some builders.

But through it all, he does find a way to pick up the instrument from your shop, and say, "I'm hungry. C'mon, grab your kids. Let's go eat."

You can take a guess where.

-Aaron

UKISOCIETY
05-28-2008, 07:49 AM
I had my first bad experience with MGM. I bought the Koa Piki Koko concert uke from him. It had a bad fret - or something - that made an obvious buzz/thump sound. Sent it back. When i got it back it had the same -exact same - problem. :(

MGM's the best. I wont' buy a uke from any other dealer. But he dropped the ball on this one.

I know he'll make good on it though. That's the kind of guy he is!

Plainsong
05-28-2008, 08:03 AM
My Kala aqua tenor showed up today, beautifully setup (do I have Kekani to thank for that?) and infinately playable, but with that pesky wound C string when I asked for all unwounds.

Not exactly the end of the world, I just need to put an unwound C on it, but if nothing else, it just reinforces my preference for unwound strings. ;)

thejumpingflea
05-28-2008, 08:10 AM
MGM for President :D

I can dig that!

megamatt
05-28-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new koa pili koko tenor from MGM. He was a pleasure to do business with and I'm very happy with how fast he got it out the door. Now I'm just waiting on the boys in brown to bring it.

nikolo727
05-28-2008, 11:04 AM
wow I bought my first good uke from MGM and man I got to tell ya. He is da shitt!!

in a good way!

ill never buy from anyone else!

you rule!

:worship:MGM:worship:

Craig
05-28-2008, 04:11 PM
MGM is truly a great guy! I'm hoping, the next time my wife and I are on Oahu, he'll show us to the legendary, "Zippy's!"

BTW, he's one of the few that's seen all of my tattoos!

MGM
05-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Well almost all waiting to see the ukulele one..I only saw the drawing of the latest..Hows it healing up?

bsting
05-28-2008, 05:19 PM
yayy i finally bought a uke (my first soprano, made by keli'i because i figured that's as close to natural ukulele that i can get!) from mgm tonight and i can't wait to get my hands on it!! and it makes me even more excited to see that you actually post on this forum! thanks for having such a fantastic selection and being so accessible!!

Craig
05-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Well almost all waiting to see the ukulele one..I only saw the drawing of the latest..Hows it healing up?

It's healing, but needs another week or so to become fully healed. I'll post a pic as soon as possible.

Aloha!

Plainsong
05-29-2008, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing it either after the "it looks like crap" stage has passed. :)

Craig
05-29-2008, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing it either after the "it looks like crap" stage has passed. :)

Each of my tats has had its own birthing-like process. This one didn't start itching until 1 1/2 weeks after its birth. They typically don't take this long to begin itching. Looks like it'll be completely healed around June 6th.

Plainsong
05-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah I guess it depends on how the skin is in that area and how much it was worked, and perhaps how much hair has to grow back. My leg tattoo itched nonstop from day 4 or so until it was done. It peeled in 7 days, but healed in 14. My arm tattoo? A slight tingle, but then it still needed touch up, and needs one more. Who'd a thunk I was allergic to the graywash pigment he used the first time. Nothing bad happened from it, my skin just said "here, let me push that out for you."

Of course, I could barely lift my arm during that time, but I'll take that over itching. :D

For me, it's kinda like treating a sunburn, but you want this sunburn to look fantabulous when done. :rock:

davoomac
05-29-2008, 08:24 PM
I bought my uke from MGM. One of the best transactions ever on ebay. He ships incredibly fast and the product is top notch! MGM is the man! :D

SailQwest
05-30-2008, 03:31 AM
We got Rich's Kala Spruce Top 8-String from MGM. The whole transaction was silky smooth, and the ukulele is wonderful!

megamatt
06-02-2008, 11:56 AM
I got my wonderful Koa pili koko tenor today from MGM, it's wondertastic and the bonus chord chart he threw in is absolutely fabulous for a super noob like me. Thanks Mike, when I get better (at playing I mean) I'll be looking for a concert uke to round out the triforce.