A contest for beginners, by a beginner

brickerenator

Reaction score
So kids, I've been looking at these contests, and I'll be honest, some are pretty hard.

So I wanted to do something for all of the other beginners out there.

This contest is open to those who have been playing for 6 months or less (I'm currently at 1.5).

I've found that I really enjoy making up strum patterns using the F, C, and G7 chords.

Your challenge is to submit a video of you playing those chords, any order, any pattern, the more improvisation the better. At the beginning of your video, please say "For Brick's beginner contest". I will post a sample video sometime this week.

A few rules:
1. Cannot be a portion of a song already written (be creative)
2. Must be under 1 minute in length, but longer than 20 seconds. However, I won't mind you going over a little bit.
3. No singing, unless you have to.
4. Beginners only!
5. 2 submissions per person
6. Contest ends Dec 1st.

Oh yes, prizes.....hmm
Depending on the number of entrants/submissions
A. Strings of your choice (Aquila's, D'Addarios etc...)
B. Tripping Lily CD (I LOVE this cd)
C. $10 itunes/gift card/cash

The more that enter, the more I'll give away.

Contest is now closed

Entries
mrUKETOBER
trant
Chris=]
Lazy Pancakes
NewMexicoDawg
Ser-T-Fide
CountryMouse
funkyjedi
Big e
Ukulelegal
Ukulelegal-2
Toobis
joehempel
joehempel-2
tmoon
tmoon-2
GregL
3nails4holes
18 entries!!!

Last edited:
Great idea for a contest!

Man, cool contest! My playing ability would qualify me (I think) but I have been playing for much longer than 6 months. I'm interested to see what people submit!

Great idea! I just realized that as of today, I've been playing the uke for three months so I'm right in the middle of the six month mark :D

im down for this, i started to play the uke the day i joined UU lol

Great idea.......

I've been playing 20mins here and there in the car at lunch time for around a month now, so I guess I should do something....

Reasons to enter

-I've been practicing a very poor I'm Yours since I got a uke, wanted to do something for the Up Yours Deach contest (which brought me to this board), but that finished A YEAR AGO :eek:.
-I'm not a great player, but singing?....Phew.....
-I have actually tried playing and singing together, it dont work. I'm the type of guy who can only do one thing at a time - never call me when I'm ironing.........

Things to do

-practise crossing over from G7 to other chords (aw man! Cudda been worse tho, its not B!)
-find a mic for my pc
-find a camera for my pc
-join YT

We shall see.....

What a good contest!

Started last January....DOH!

Maybe next noob contest will make it a year......

wait so how do we do this just put it up on youtube? and put the link here?

wait so how do we do this just put it up on youtube? and put the link here?

Yep, exactly

ok so a minute is kinda short but i hit my last note on 58 seconds lol it just took me 4 seconds to turn off the cam lol but anyway THIS is what i came up with

^^^Like what he did

I'm not super picky about time, so if it's a little under or over, I won't mind.

ok so a minute is kinda short but i hit my last note on 58 seconds lol it just took me 4 seconds to turn off the cam lol but anyway THIS is what i came up with

WOW. That was amazing for a beginner.. Anyway I could get that tab? That was phenomenal!

-UM :shaka:

thanks for a contest where we newbies can actually have a chance!

the only contest so far that i felt i had even a ghost of a chance on was the ohana legend contest a while back. and i was beaten by a better story.

and after getting my first uke at the end of summer, real life began its encroachment. sadly it spends more time up on the hanger than being played. argh. i vow to spend more time with the uke minutes and lessons on here.

so thanks for this contest. i'll see what i can come up with!

mahalo!
:shaka:

Oh wow, I just watched your video--I have no hope. Fingerpicking and chunking--I can't do either! Your video is great!

CountryMouse

thanks bro ! uhh ill try to see if i can tab it out.. i just picked f g7 and c and then made up little licks in between some of them then did a reggaeish strum with some chunks

Haha, don't worry about it.. It was really good though!

-UM :shaka:

Top Bottom