Ukulele Fret Help

Weird. Try playing the notes of each fret one at a time to make sure that the whole chord isn't a factor. If they still make no or little noise, look along the length of the string to check and see if you can see what it's hitting. If you can tell what's killing the sound, maybe we can give a better stab at a solution. For some reason, I want to say that I've been able to recreate that kind of sound, but I can't think of how right at the moment.

I think the strings are hitting other frets on the fretboard. I'm also thinking maybe the bridge is too low which is causing that sound?

You could have a bowed neck. Check the profile.

Hold the your uke horizontal at eye level. while doing that, fret the A string at the 6th and peer closely to see if the string touches the 7th fret. Repeat this for all other strings. One at a time. Do the same thing for each string at each fret. If the string touches the frets that you're not fretting, then you have a problem and need to have a full set-up or a new uke. If that's not the problem, look to see if the cuff of your shirt sleeve is hitting the strings. Or the palm of your strumming hand. Or maybe you're not applying your bar correctly.

Is your neck straight? Or is it even slightly curved?

The String touches the 7th fret, so i have to do a full set-up or get anew uke. What's a full set-up?

I'm moving your thread to the Luthier's lounge, you might get some more help there. Thanks.

You could try a taller saddle if you think the string action is too low. If the action is OK, look at the frets. Raising the action too much will cause tuning problems
You may just have a high fret at the 7th.....you can file it down and reshape it round again. Lay a straight edge ruler on the frets so you can see which are high and low.
To do all the frets....use a black marker and draw a line on the top of each fret. Then run a long file over all of them until the black lines are all gone.
Then use smaller files to reshape the frets round again. Put some tape on the fretboard for protection. You can polish them up again with with 600grit sand paper and 0000 steel wool
Fret wire files very quickly so go easy on it

You could try a taller saddle if you think the string action is too low. ...
You may just have a high fret at the 7th.....you can file it down and reshape it round again...

Folks, I don't think we're helping Toekneeiscoo by telling him/her how to be a luthier and how go about fixing his/her uke in a certain way.

If it is new, send it back. If not, use it as kindling, go to your local music store and try out the ukuleles before you buy one. I can't see bringing a $40 uke to a luthier to get the saddle replaced and the frets filed.

That's my take - sorry :eek:

Erich

Folks, I don't think we're helping Toekneeiscoo by telling him/her how to be a luthier and how go about fixing his/her uke in a certain way.

If it is new, send it back. If not, use it as kindling, go to your local music store and try out the ukuleles before you buy one. I can't see bringing a $40 uke to a luthier to get the saddle replaced and the frets filed.

That's my take - sorry :eek:

Erich

Erich is right

It will cost more to fix it than what was paid for it

As fun as it'd probably be to smash it or use it for firewood, why not take the opportunity to tinker with it. Sure, you may make it worse, but you may just discover some really useful stuff. Wait, this is the luthier section? Nevermind. Don't listen to me, I'm not a luthier... but I watch one on YT!

You could always pop off the neck and stick it on a cigar box. Unless it ends up being that the neck is bowed, it would be fine.

Before doing anything, if indeed the some of the frets are higher they may have worked there way out of their slots a bit. I would simply, and gingerly, try to tap them back into the slots before attempting to file and recrown them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom