Tuning Problems?

emennace

Reaction score
Open string my uke sounds perfect. When I play on a fret, however, it sounds either sharp or flat, depending on the string. What do i do :confused:

What kind of ukulele is this, and how bad is the intonation off?

Is it off a half step or more?

Is it just one fret or all of the frets?

One string or all strings?

Does it get worse as you get closer to the bridge?

Take care,
Thomas

What kind of ukulele is this, and how bad is the intonation off?

Is it off a half step or more?

Is it just one fret or all of the frets?

One string or all strings?

Does it get worse as you get closer to the bridge?

Its a little less than a half step, mainly on the C string. I have a Hawaiian Ukulele Company Ukulele (soprano). Its all frets- I notice when I'm trying to double with the E string and the 4th fret C is wayyy sharp. It is also a little bit noticable on other strings, but its mainly the C string, all of the frets.

You may be able to adjust the intonation at the saddle. If it is sharp the point where the string contacts the saddle needs to move back away from the nut. It may be best to take it to a music store or guitar technician or luthier.

Or if you are brave you can try to adjust the saddle with sandpaper attatched to something hard and FLAT. If you do it yourself adjust it SLOWLY, little by little. And pay attention to how much you are lowering the action in the process.

It should be able to be fixed.

Good luck,
Thomas

How old are these strings? It could be that new strings would take care of the problem....

Top Bottom