Uku school project

jmerchant

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I need a little help for school. Below are a list of questions about you and your uku, answer as many questions as you want. Or if you feel I missed a good question answer your own. The paper is about a community we are involved in and I picked the ukulele community! Thanks in advace for all answers, I look forward to reading your words.

What got you interested in the Ukulele? How did everything start?

How has the Internet changed your ukulele experience?

How would you describe the Ukulele community, pros, and cons?

What sets you apart as a ukulele player vs. playing other instruments?

When you play your uku with others, are you playing with other ukulele players, or with whatever instruments are around (guitar, bass, drums, whatever)?

How do think the uku fits in with other instruments?

Do you find people stereotype you as a uku player (positive, negative)?

How would you describe the relationship between you and your uku?

*feel free to add your own question, thanks.
Mark

-Well, I've always wanted to learn how to play an instrument but my parents, being Chinese, aren't always so keen as to allow me to pursue my wishes. So during my sophmore year in college, I picked up an ukulele both because I saw Jake's video and also because it's an inexpensive instrument.... at first. And I learned the basic chords, learned some advanced strumming through coveywood, and the rest is history :)

-It was a while before I found Ukulele underground... well, like a day or two. I was addicted to youtube and the lessons on there. My first song would have been Stand by me, just not really good sounding... I've become a good bit better since then. Without the internet, I wouldn't be the player I am today.

The Ukulele community is full of open minded individuals who are collectively connected through their love of the ukulele. It doesn't matter what sort of backgrounds we might have, whether we are religious or not; whether we are hetero or homo; whether you are good singers, bad singers, great players, bad players; whether you are successful by monetary standards or not, if you have an ukulele, you are cool with me. Those are the pros. The cons? well... if only the state recognized the union of ukulele players :D

I play the ultimate instrument.

When you play your uku with others, are you playing with other ukulele players, or with whatever instruments are around (guitar, bass, drums, whatever)?
more ukuleles

it shines in its own special way. It adds flava

usually it's a negative because most people dont' consider ukuleles to be an instrument, instead it's usually considered a novelty item: a tourist item. Inexpensive and what not. Which is obviously not true.

The uke doesn't argue with me or talk back So.. I'm going to go on a limb and say it's better than the my relationship with my spouse... of course there are things my uke cannot do. :D So it's like my long lost soul mate... i love her.

I'm a newbie still so can't really answer all of the questions but the internet has changed the way I approach learning the Ukulele so that might be interesting for your project.

I've mentioned this in the introduction thread but it was actually an online friend who got me interested when I watch her videos on YouTube. The ukulele is not something I ever considered playing before. I didn't really know anything about it to be honest.
I've always wanted to play guitar but struggled with it and gave up early on.
I do play keyboard which I don't have access to at the moment but often find myself singing or tapping out rhythms so the ukulele just fits in a little niche there and it's so much more relaxing to just pick up and play and try and work things out.

Before with keyboard and with other non-music related hobbies I'd search the libraries or the book store and buy one or two starter books, read them cover to cover get the materials/equipment that I need and then go back to the beginning and work through them slowly.

With the Ukulele and the great community here I was able to look up what to look for in a uke. Check out various reviews before my purchase and then when I was waiting for it to arrive I read a lot of beginner tips and searched for videos on YouTube to see what is possible with the instrument. (and was pleasantly surprised to see what people are doing out there. :) )
It gave me ideas on what I want to learn now and in the near future before I had even got my hands on the instrument when before I'd probably be starting off blind.

Instead of looking for beginner books I just bought a chord book for reference when I'm playing away from the computer (Which I could have just printed similar charts straight from the internet but heck it's nice to have a book.) and I look up everything else online. Whether it's tabs for well known songs or reading how others approached the same learning curves that I am.
I figured the information is all out there if you just look for it.

Gathering the opinions of others on equipment and techniques is a great way to get a more rounded view. You're self teaching but instead of being limited by what is in the one book you bought you get the experience of many people and playing styles and may come across tips that you would have missed otherwise.
It's a great way of picking up the information you need and disregarding the bits you don't need right now.

I also think it's a great motivation tool. Seeing what other people can do motivates you to try those things yourself and the videos and competitions look like they keep things fun and strengthens the positive feelings towards the instrument and the community.

The community aspect can actually help to keep your interest going when before it may have been overtaken by other things and forgotten about for too long.
Having a community keeps it fresh in your mind and pulls you back.

Probably too early for me to answer this one.

N/A

Well that's really up to the individual. You can make any instruments work together with the right imagination. I don't think there's any reason why we should set the uku apart.

Being early days all of three people IRL know I'm learning to play at the moment and they've all been positive. Being related to me in one way or another that's to be expected really but I think they just like seeing someone trying something new.
I don't know how others would react. Maybe mild amusement and curiousity because it's not the standard piano or guitar and they probably don't know much about it (like I didn't a couple of weeks ago) but I don't really expect anything negative unless they hear my singing. :p

Like the early days of love when you just want to spend each moment together. Not quite singing love songs all the time but smiling a lot.
lol.. Just excited to be learning really.

thanks for the early replys! If you are short on time, please consider just answering one question. I would love to hear from a lot of you and realize not everybody can sit down and answer 20 questions. However, if you want to answer them all then I tip my hat to you.

Last December I had some money that was given to me for Christmas. I have always loved Hawai'i; I've spent my most relaxed vacations there and love the beauty and spirit of aloha there. I purchased an inexpensive uke and find a lot of that inner aloha when I play.

It hasn't changed it - it's helped define it. Without other enthusiasts I imagine I would've gotten frustrated and given it up, but having an online community has helped keep me excited about the uke.

I can't think of any cons - uke players on average strike me as people who like happy sounds and love the spirit of aloha.

I am capable - I've found other instruments difficult. The uke is so portable that I can take it with me when I go places, so I'm often with the instrument in places I wouldn't have had any other kind of instrument.

Regrettably I don't find myself playing with other.

I think it's a great compliment to other instruments!

I have some coworkers who like to tease me about my uke playing - especially because I play at work - but it's very good natured and I have no problems with it. Often when I'm playing at work people will come by and ask questions.

I love my two ukes so much they have names - Junior and Betty.

I was actually looking for a harmonica...when there, in the back of the music store was a wall of ukuleles....the rest is history.

Without the internet I would still be playing out of my (basic and helpful but boring) you can play uke book..... UU has helped me become way more hip and groovy than I would have otherwise been.

It's so adaptable and transportable that I have played with all different instruments....even flutes and clarinets (but I am full time band director so that might be considered cheating)

As the supreme leader of all other instruments of course.

People think its quirky and light-hearted...which is pretty much right-on.

Besides showering and brushing my teeth :D it is the only thing I do everyday.

• What got you interested in the Ukulele? How did everything start?
    I just picked one up in the store one day. It was a concert Lanikai LU21C.

• How has the Internet changed your ukulele experience?
    The internet put me in touch with a inspirational community of online ukulele players. Also fostered a healthy sense of competition.

• How would you describe the Ukulele community, pros, and cons?
    Pros:
    • Welcoming
    • Supportive
    • Eccentric
    • Generous

Cons:
    • Gossipy

• What sets you apart as a ukulele player vs. playing other instruments?
    Being an ukulele player forces me to be creative. The perceived limitations of the uke open up a world of possibilities.

• When you play your uku with others, are you playing with other ukulele players, or with whatever instruments are around (guitar, bass, drums, whatever)?
    Usually other ukulele players.

• How do think the uku fits in with other instruments?
    The ukulele puts an island shimmer over everything. It fits in beautifully.

• Do you find people stereotype you as a uku player (positive, negative)?
    Some people think it isn't a serious instrument. That's okay with me. I call all my instruments toys.

• How would you describe the relationship between you and your uku?
    Me and Domino get along great, but sometimes I get jealous when someone else is strumming her.

Well, I think one question you missed was about age and how long we've been playing uke and do we play any other instruments. I've seen a few threads about "mature" people finally taking the plunge with the uke as their first instrument. I think a question like that would help show how diverse the community is.

So I'll answer that one first. I'm 56 and got my first uke four months ago. I've played classical guitar and mandolin for a number of years.

I was blown away when I first heard Jake's "Weeps" several years ago, but never seriously considered getting one. Out of the blue, I won my uke in a drawing. It was kind of like I didn't choose it, it chose me.

Before my uke even arrived, I was on the net searching about it and found UU. I was checking out alternative tunings, chords, strings (learned about how I could use classical guitar strings on it), etc. Lots of great resources, and tabs are abundant. I'm going thru black ink cartridges faster these days.

The community here is great. I figured the uke would be a lark I'd toy around with for a while and end up putting aside. Instead, I've been highly motivated and encouraged by others here.

I enjoy playing other instruments, but the uke is something I do purely because it's fun.

N/A, hasn't happened yet.

Very well. Uke/guitar duets sound fantastic, partly because there's a nice contrast in the range.

My husband once asked me why I was spending so much time with "that thing" instead of one of my "real" guitars. I told him it was because it was new and it was fun. Well, it's not so new anymore but it's still a lot of fun so I'm still playing it.

Honestly? As much fun as it is, it's just another instrument to me. If the house were burning down, my uke would not be at the top of the list of things to try to save. A $150 uke is a lot easier to replace than a $6K concert guitar.

Ok - here we go! :)

I happened to come across Molly's (SweetAfton) "Tom Cruise Crazy" cover on YouTube and fell instantly in love with that adorable uke she has! (I'm still on the prowl for one...purple island pattern Fluke!) That same night, I saw Seeso's "Santeria" video and was hooked. (Sublime is one of my favorite groups, and Seeso is just so darn CUTE!) :love:

It is all I know! It's how I found it, it's how I learn, it's how I stay connected - without the internet, I'm pretty sure I never would have even picked it up! (wow - that's so sad to think about...) A huge shout-out to DEACH for introducing me to UU as soon as I posted my first video!

It is the BEST group of musical people I have ever come across, and being a music teacher, I've seen them all!

Before the uke, I've only played wind instruments (and piano)...but now I use my voice as part of my uke playing, and it's so much more fun! I've never had that before, so it's an entirely new and exciting experience!

Usually other uke players, but I'm game for anything!

Wonderfully, and with any instrument. I've played it with piano, saxophone, trumpet, drums...sounds good with all!

While I've only been playing for about a year - I've seen the stereotype start to shift already! When I first was learning, people thought it was a joke...but now that the uke is becoming more public again, it's "cool" that I play it now!

Love at first strum...:D

Last edited:
I've always been a big fan of Jake since I was a freshman and younger. Then it was seeso, then julia nunes. I was always sketchy about getting one, until one of my friends did.
Without it, I would be lost O_O
The pros is that everyone can collaborate and share knowledge. cons is that some people are bias about what they have :]
nothing, I'm just like everyone else. I just have respect for ALL instruments.
I've played with other ukuleles, guitar, and drums
It's kind of like the short guy in the group who has the most personality
aha I don't see how that would be offensive
friends with benefits

What got you interested in the 'Ukulele? How did everything start?
Normal part of island culture here almost every local household having at least one 'ukulele, my house it was my dad's Kamaka pineapple. Started before I was born in my family.

How has the Internet changed your 'ukulele experience?
Makes buying 'ukulele way too easy, makes finding cords for new songs a breeze and FREE, no need buy more books. Nice to meet people from around the world who share your passion.

How would you describe the 'Ukulele community, pros, and cons?
Pros: As a whole the 'ukulele community shares the love and passion of this instrument. Nice to discuss various things about this magical instrument.
Cons: There are always trolls hungry for attention as well as cliques and groups who feel they are above those not in there circle. I notice an arrogance and self-righteousness from some who think they are better and look down on nOObs which really is not what the 'ukulele is about, show some aloha. These snobs are not from Hawai'i by the way.

What sets you apart as a 'ukulele player vs. playing other instruments?
It's the only instrument I play besides Tahitian drums.

When you play your 'ukulele with others, are you playing with other 'ukulele players, or with whatever instruments are around (guitar, bass, drums, whatever)?
Mostly with other 'ukulele players, sometimes slack key guitar players, and usually my wife, but solo 90% of the time in a place of quiet solitude, my secret places.

How do think the 'ukulele fits in with other instruments?
Goes well with slack key guitar but being a local island boy I'm used to island music and not so much the vaudeville stuff the Mainlanders may be more familiar with.

Do you find people stereotype you as a 'ukulele player (positive, negative)?
Island locals? Very positive. Ignorant Mainland Haoles? Negative.

How would you describe the relationship between you and your 'ukulele?
It connects me with my past, my dad, my heritage, it's the only instrument that I play and feel comfortable with. My wife plays slack key guitar so we complement each other.

PS. Pet peeve calling the 'ukulele "uku", no offense.

Last edited:
-First, it was going to Hawai'i, I saw two street performers doing mash-ups of hawaiian songs that I recognized. Then it was a video I saw on YT of someone playing Wait in Vain by Bob Marley.

-the Internet has mostdeff provided an open door for me. Without it, I don't think I'd be as dedicated to the uke because I wouldn't know as much as I do now.

-The pros would definitely be that I feel like I have people that I can connect with, even if it's just because of the uke. Cons are when people act like them playing the uke for 2 days can give them a better rep. Just as with any other instrument.

-Well, the uke to me is more of a social instrument, and it gives a great positive vibe for kids as well as adults.. And deff more portable than most [ex. piano]

-So far, I've only played with other ukulele players. I wouldn't turn down playing with whatever other instruments that would want to collab though.

-In my personal opinion, I think the uke fits in a bit awkwardly. But it still has that certain ring to it that can work when put in the right hands.

-I think it's silly when people try to make the uke seem like a "retards answer to a guitar" [comment from someone on youtube regarding a cover I did] and people don't appreciate an instruments worth until they actually give it a chance.

-My uke and I are Perfect Together :]]]] I treat it like my baby/lover and the uke still rings true, despite me not carrying it in a case<3

- I saw a few vidoes by random ukulele players (I can't even honestly say how I found them) on youtube, such as Julia Nunes, Seeso, Wade Johnston, Musicmaad, etc). I found out a friend of mine had a ukulele and begged him to borrow it. Commence hours of struggling to remember chords and strum patterns and here I am, 6 month later.

- Well I pretty much wouldn't know how to play any chords/songs if it wasn't for the internet.

- I wish I were more involved; they're all so supportive of one another. I genuinely enjoy the ukulele mini jams I've participated in, as well as all the help I've gotten from Seeso as far as it goes.

- When I went busking in Ireland, people were so pleased by the fact that it was something new, something different. As far as here at college, however, I often have to struggle with the jokes I hear from others, particularly musicians. I have some friends who enjoy it, others who find it annoying. Recently, one of my friends (who plays bass and the electric guitar) told me to "learn a real instrument." It's kind of hard sometimes.

- I've never really played with anyone else. I've played sometimes and someone will join in the another guitar, but other than that, it's mostly just people singing along.

- I think it's something unique that has a pleasant sound. It always just seems to cheer me up.

- These days, playing the ukulele seems to be a new fad. I'm okay with it though. Some people won't agree with my choice of instrument and I might have to deal with some issues, but I love to play it and it makes me happy. That's all that really matters to me.

- I love it. I would be very sad if it was ever lost, stolen, or broken. I play it every day and try to keep up my practicing.

:)

More then happy to Lend a hand here....

I saw my first ukulele In Fiji in a shop i was 11yo, and was thinking its the coolest thing i'd ever seen, But it broke within a few weeks. Always thought about them after that and finally bought another ukulele at age 20. From there its been a daily enjoyment

It has gotten me to a stage that i know i wouldnt of gotten to alone, With online lessons, tabliture, and a forum community i has abled me to grow as a ukulele player and get to a stage where i could be confident enough to play at a concert level

Pros.

helpful, Everyone with a common liking makes room for friendships to be formed. Like minds think alike

Cons. Non (so far)

A express myself more through playing a ukulele, other instraments i find boring so that makes me a boring performer

whatever is around, which is always a guitar player. i can say i have never sat down with another ukulele player and had a jam session.

with guitars and bongos playing a melo tune that fine in perfect but i think the ukulele on its own is all the instrament you need

People always see it as a joke instrament, And when i let someone have a look at my kanilea there reaction is oh, its so light, its a little toy, people can be frustrating but i sure can leave jaws dropped after a few songs.

we have our ups and downs but the relationship is always strong

Over a couple of years I noticed a few songs and videos featuring ukuleles: Iz, Jake, Joe Brown. I liked the sound, and the fact that it's a small instrument. Beginner ukes are cheap to buy and easy to tweak for set up. Plenty of reasons to try it out and no reasons at all not to.

It seemed to be the kind of quirky thing that would work in my band.

Well, I've been using the web for many years as a learning resource for other instruments (tin whistle, bodhran, mandolin, harmonica, fiddle). The effect it has had on my uke experience is similar to the effect it had on those. It is simply amazing. Tutorials, resources, songs and chord sheets, supportive online communities are all instantly available. It speeds up learning immensely compared to the rate of learning achieved through unassisted self tuition, or even weekly real-world lessons.

Pros: friendship, support, information and assistance, fun.
Cons: none that I have personally encountered.

I am attracted to (relatively) minority interest instruments. Everyone and his dog plays guitar, bass, drums... Uke sets me apart in a similar way that my other instruments do. It is a little different to what many in the audience are used to seeing in bands and it generates interest. It also has a distinctive sound that is particularly appropriate for certain songs. In that way it fills a space that none of my bandmates' instruments do.

I play in a band with guitars, upright bass, drums, saxophone, mandolin and banjo. Occasionally a few other ukes will appear, but usually I'm the only ukulele player.

Uke works well in the right context. I find it great in folk, blues, bluegrass, jazz etc. There are some situations (hard rock, metal with loud, overdriven guitars and bass etc) where IMHO uke is a little pointless. It is a relatively quiet instrument that needs to be well amplified to compete with other instruments.

Aside from people with ground-scraping knuckles and low foreheads occasionally yelling out "When I'm Cleaning Windows!" or "Tiptoe through the Tulips!", I have encountered very little in the way of stereotyping. (Joking. I don't mind people doing that. At least it shows that they recognise a uke for what it is, rather than thinking of it as "a toy guitar"!)

If anything, people are just curious and interested.

I love my uke. It's nothing expensive or flashy, but it enables me to make music and so I love it. I would never go far without taking a uke with me. Of all the instruments I own it is the one that most lends itself to casual ad-hoc music making.

Good luck with your school project. :)

I've always been musical but had never learned a string instrument - youtube videos sucked me in and did the rest.

My ukulele experience has always been via the internet but it's definitely the best musical experience i've had. There's so many resources and helpful people here. It's hard not to be enthusiastic when you're surrounded by so many people who love the ukulele.

Cons:
It makes me want more ukuleles than I can afford!

Pros:
It's the most helpful and enthusiastic musical community i've ever been a part of. The vast majority of ukulele players seem to be really great people.

It's more portable than anything i've ever played - which allows for a lot more practise than other instruments.

I've never played with another uker but i've got one or two friends who are musicians - i'll play with whoever I can get my hands on!

Obviously it doesn't work with everything but I think it compliments most instruments really well and can be worked into most genres of music.

People who don't know a lot about the instrument tend to see it as a novelty (almost a toy) but opinions can be swayed pretty quickly.

If I had to take one thing onto a desert island with me...

My girlfriend said she might be interested in playing an instrument if it was really small, so I bought her the ukulele. She never picked it up but eventually I did.

I wouldn't have started playing without all the online lessons.

I think the ukulele community is friendly and welcoming to newcomers. I'm not involved enough to know if there are any negative aspects.

The ukulele is cute and fun.

I have not played with others yet.

I think the uke can fit with almost any other instrument.

No, but I don't identify as a uke player, since I just play at home.

Long term.

Music is a part of my `ohana and my culture. It became another avenue to connect with both. Every family gathering would end with kanikapila. To pass slow days by, my dad would jam by himself. It was normalized since small kid time. I, actually, never found myself musically inclined. I would sing along, maybe use an ipu or even dance, but never had the patience to learn any instrument. I always blamed it on my mom's genes. Truth be told, I've had an `ukulele for more than 10 years. I've always known the basic chords but it wasn't until the last year that I had an epiphany that motivated to stick around.

It provides a readily available resource of both the good and the bad. It helps create a foundation for learning, but it shouldn't be the strict basis for it. You have to jam with others especially more experienced players. It made spending money way too easy.

Pros: Supportive. Passionate.
Cons: I think some players have an inferiority complex. Too much harping abt not being accepted as a real instrument. It's more of a Continent thing rather than a Hawaiian/Local thing. Lack of `okina.

I'm not sure what you mean by this question. Why do I choose the `ukulele over other instruments? Just something I liked playing.

When you play your 'ukulele with others, are you playing with other ukulele players, or with whatever instruments are around (guitar, bass, drums, whatever)?
Whoever stay at the kanikapila we play with. Guitar, slack key, drums, ipu, piano, bass, other `ukulele, etc.

How do think the 'ukulele fits in with other instruments?
It fits as both a lead and a rhythm instrument.

I've never had much animosity or bad vibes for the `ukulele. So mostly positive. Maybe it's the people I hang around with. They know I take it serious as a serious instrument. They know I'm a proud Hawaiian. I know it's out there, but they would never say it to my face. Haters gonna hate. Ainokea!

Like I said above, it is yet another avenue to connect me to my culture and `ohana. I take it seriously but have fun while playing it.

I became a fan of Hawaiian music when I lived in Hawaii (1988-1992). After playing guitar for many years, a friend of mine (Tsani on UU) brought an ukulele on a camping trip. I thought that it would be easier to take a uke camping, so I gave it a try. It also gave me an excuse to listen to all the Hawaiian music that I used to love, but had gotten away from.

Wow. UU has been a crucial part. Lessons, discussions, and Ohana here has helped me more than I can say. Having YT also has helped because it challenges me to learn songs, and gives me a reason to practice more. I have enjoyed the past couple years of uke'n so much more due to the internet.

I have found no significant Cons. Ukers are good people. (period)

Well, I can say that as a guitar player I feel more competition between other guitar players. With the uke, I always think that I can learn something from some players and teach something to others, but never like it is a competetion. I guess the uke has too much built in Aloha for me to feel competative with it.

Both. Although most of the time it is just other ukers.

It is good as lead or rhythm.

Yes. Normally a negative sterotype. That's probably part of the attraction to me, since I like to be different.:D

You're still talking about an ukulele right, not body lice? Either way, when you get the itch you gotta scratch it! :D I hardly ever play my guitars anymore, unless I'm recording a back up track for the uke. So I guess I have a pretty strong relationship with my ukulele.

On a hot summer day haha having a picnic at a lake, my girlfriends cousin brought out his loelani tenor, and it just got me super hyped up to get one.
It makes it easier to learn chords, and it makes it easier to contract uas lol.
So far, all of the people I've meet are chill and lay back, which is a pro. Cant realy think of any cons.
Well, I also play the guitar, so one difference I've noticed is that the guitar doesn't realy feel as fun as the uke does haha.
When you play your uke with others, are you playing with other ukulele players, or with whatever instruments are around (guitar, bass, drums, whatever)?
Ive played alot with other uke players, once in a while ill find a guitar player to jam with.
How do think the uke fits in with other instruments?
It brings out the happy lol
Do you find people stereotype you as a uke player (positive, negative)?
I guess positive lol, I walk around campus with my uke all the time and people always say "are you the guy who plays the ukulele?" even when i dont bring it.
How would you describe the relationship between you and your uke?
I dont leave home with out her, unless theres reasons not to. Always in a hardshell case, humidified (when needed), and always loved <3

Last edited:
Top Bottom