StewMac Tenor Kit - "Slightly" modified. Progress Report

eleuke

Reaction score
Aloha all,

As stated in earlier posts, I got myself the StewMac Tenor Kit and jumped in the deep end. I've got a bazillion pics and reams of advice for all those considering this project. This is just a tease. Full story coming soon. I'm only about 60% complete at the moment. The body is complete sans sanding. Pics or it didn't happen, right?
Let the sanding begin! The tap tone is surprisingly amazing at this point. Sounds a lot like a wooden wind chime. Very 'bell' like. I think this is gonna be a good one.

Attachments

• p1010215.jpg
    p1010215.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 114
  • p1010216.jpg
    p1010216.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 91
  • p1010217.jpg
    p1010217.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 107
Of course it will - it's mahogany... you know those Hawaiian players? They often go for a mahogany Martin rather than an Island built koa. Also many guitarists record with a mahogany bodied instrument and take their bling oujt to play on stage. mahogany is wonderful as a tonewood, especially for all sizes of ukulele.

Nice modification! I can't wait to see the rest of the story/pics.

Question: How did you deal with the center tone bar? Mine has a cut out to accommodate the bridge plate, but it almost seems too deep for them to be joined with glue (I've attached an illustration). I consulted the instructions and the video but neither reference this brace specifically.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-26 at 10.38.09 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-26 at 10.38.09 AM.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 51
I chose to not join the brace and the bridge plate in any way. The gap on mine is open. My thoughts were "less is more" in that area. I didn't want to make the soundboard too stiff as to detriment the sound. My wild imaginings made me think that bonding them would make for a dead soundboard. Don't really know if I did right, and won't know till it's playable. Will let you know how it turns out. Good luck with yours!

Very nice so far! I've built a few Stew Mac soprano kits, and am tempted to try the Tenor kit.

I may substitute the top with an Engelmann Spruce top I purchased, but I may just keep it as a mahogany uke.

What kind of finish are you planning on using on it when you're done?

P.S. I hope to build one of Pete Howlett's koa uke kits one of these days as well! I enjoy following your Uklectic videos on You Tube!

Last edited:
Thanks Loondoo, the tenor kit is a good kit. It has it's problem areas, like the neck joint, (dowels suck!) Worst way to attach a neck I've ever seen, imho, and the mahogany parts are VERY rough cut, so get out your sander cause you're gonna be there for a while! I'd keep the mahogany top. A completely mahogany body just rings like a bell. I'm amazed at the tap tone on this build and it's just a kit! As far as finish, not quite decided although I need to soon as I'm sitting here staring at the completed uke over there, just waiting for finish. Any recommendations? I can't really spray where I'm building, (my living room floor) so I'm leaning towards a wipe-on, wipe-off, let dry and buff type finish like True-Oil or Tung. I need to learn more about the options now that I'm at that stage. I don't wanna screw it up now with a lousy finish. Yes, Pete's kits look awesome. Also on my agenda to someday go for. Not worthy yet. Soon...

I need to soon as I'm sitting here staring at the completed uke over there, just waiting for finish.

strange...I dont see ANY PICTUUUUUURES!!!

you pull another stunt like this and you're getting bad rep :biglaugh::nana:

strange...I dont see ANY PICTUUUUUURES!!!

you pull another stunt like this and you're getting bad rep :biglaugh::nana:

OK cornfed, you're right. Pics or it didn't happen. Well here ya go...

Attachments

• ForCornFed.jpg
    ForCornFed.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 82
Wow that really looks great!

I just received my tenor kit from Stew-Mac, and I hope mine looks as good as yours at this stage. How did you rebend the sides to accommodate the cutaway?

Also, for an easy finish, check out Bartley's gel stains and geltopcoat. They got good reviews for easy application from the folks who wrote the Stew-Mac guitar finishing book.

Well, to put it simply, I just hacked a big chunk out of the right side upper bout and reversed it. Made an inner brace and glued it up t othe brace and the neck block. I got the template image into my computer and started hacking away at it in my image editing program until I got the look I was going for. Transferred the measurements onto the wood and hacked away. I'm pretty pleased so far. Thanks much for the Bartley's tip. New to me so I'll look into it. Good luck with your kit.

Finally done...

Finally done! Woo hoo!

So, what do you think?

Attachments

• p1010247.jpg
    p1010247.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 49
dang doood...look absolutely incredible. Love the grain, it really pops with that finish.

is the tailpiece and floating bridge part of the build plans or is that a mod?

Plans? There were plans? Just kidding. No the plans called for a standard glue on bridge. I've never been one to follow directions... I wanted a floating bridge so I could adjust intonation. Didn't trust myself to get the bridge in the perfect spot. I made the tailpiece and saddle.

Plans? There were plans? Just kidding. No the plans called for a standard glue on bridge. I've never been one to follow directions... I wanted a floating bridge so I could adjust intonation. Didn't trust myself to get the bridge in the perfect spot. I made the tailpiece and saddle.

cool...send me the bridge and I'll stick it on a cigar box:)

makes me think maybe I could do this

You can make one way better than mine already... I would hate to degrade one of your fine ukes with my junk bridge..

Actually, I already got the final bridge on order from elderly. The one I made was just a temp. I'll have too see how much the neck responds to the tension before I decide to use the store bought, or mine. The action came out just a bit too high for my liking and the store bought is even higher than my temp. I might have to make a better one to get the action down to where it should be. We'll see... Still, it's pretty ugly. I didn't use a single power tool for the kit build. Not even my drill. I used a Friskars, just so I could say there were no power tools needed for the kit build. I had to battle lot's of drill drift. Forget drum sanders, I want a drill press!

Top Bottom