PDA

View Full Version : Your second Uke. What did you buy?

rreffner
10-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Size, High/Low G, manufacturer, and what was your first Uke? How long before you bought your second Uke? Mahalo.

grappler
10-26-2009, 01:16 AM
it was until 6 months and a bit after until i bought my second uke

1st uke was a mahalo laminate mahogany.
2nd was a custom black wood koa. Both High G tenors.
then a year from my second to get my 3rd which is also high G tenor. This is another custom.

jerickson
10-26-2009, 02:07 AM
1st uke was a Fender solid mahogany high G. Purchased a curly mango Pono with pickup a few months later because I wanted a low G uke. Just purchased a Koaloha (Koa, of course) high G to replace the Fender that I gifted to my brother to get him started. Next purchase will be a Moore Bettah as soon as I can scrape my change together. It'll take a lot of change! :)

jerickson
10-26-2009, 02:08 AM
All Tenors btw. See previous post.

ukantor
10-26-2009, 02:08 AM
My first uke was made by Mitubagakki, Japan - a solid mahogany soprano. It sounded OK, and was good to play, but the side developed a bad split along the grain - then the bridge popped off. My second uke was one I made myself from scratch. Again a soprano, made from a wood called "sepetir", used in the furniture industry in England. I built it too lightly, and after about nine years the bridge was leaning at an alarming angle. I then braced it, but that made it sound "dead".

I can't remember what was the second uke I bought, but I've now got a whole herd of them grazing contendedly in my bedroom, and straying into every other room, too.

Ukantor.

buddhuu
10-26-2009, 02:11 AM
First was a Makala dolphin tuned re-entrant gCEA.

Second was a solid mahogany Stagg concert a few months later. Tuned that one low G.

Third was a few months after the Stagg, and is a solid mahogany Kala tenor which is my daily uke now. Back to re-entrant tuning.

keithy351
10-26-2009, 02:20 AM
1st Greg Bennet concert High G and also a kala 8 string tenor at the same time

2nd Kanilea K-1 tenor satin finish high G

haole
10-26-2009, 04:32 AM
First uke I owned was an Aria baritone tuned DGBE. Didn't play it much.
First uke I bought was a Kamaka soprano. High G.

Second uke was a concert pineapple Flea with rosewood fretboard. I wanted something cheaper and more travel-ready than the Kamaka. Usually high G, but tried it with low G for a while until I bought my KoAloha tenor (which is now my low G uke).

leftovermagic84
10-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Size, High/Low G, manufacturer, and what was your first Uke? How long before you bought your second Uke? Mahalo.

My first uke was a generic $30 soprano, after about 3 months I got a Kala Watermelon soprano, both high-G

clayton56
10-26-2009, 05:17 AM
my first was a Pono mahogany soprano, and I liked it so well I decided to try the concert. Turns out I don't like the concert nearly as well, although it sounds good, it's just too big.

As far as time between purchases goes, I was a member of the "Uke of the Month Club" last spring. My secret, I've been cleaning out the closets of Ebay merchandise and converting that money into ukes.

SailorQwest
10-26-2009, 05:32 AM
1st - Rogue soprano(20$ on Musicians Freind).
2nd - 2 weeks later, Ovation Applause soprano.

Now I play a Bushman Jenny Tenor tuned dGBE.

Rick
10-26-2009, 05:53 AM
soprano pineapple, high g, Lanikai. my first ukulele was a Lauren baritone.

spazus_maximus
10-26-2009, 06:05 AM
1st was a Hilo soprano

3 months later bought a Kala F Hole Tenor!...which i really like btw

next one will be a solid something or another...If i can get my playing ability decent enough to justify the purchase..lol

russ_buss
10-26-2009, 06:06 AM
first uke was a second hand concert fluke, still my daily player. second uke purchased about 3 months after was a tenor lanikai lu21te that i strung low G. decided the tenor size wasn't for me and gave it away.

psesinkclee
10-26-2009, 06:10 AM
First was a Hilo soprano (40$ at guitar center). Second was my Cordoba Concert (says Koa, but widely thought to be acacia), and I love it. Its my trusty fall back uke. Added dual piezo internal pickup on it as well as strap buttons.

Susie A
10-26-2009, 06:17 AM
First was a Mainland Honeybee, second a Slingerland Banjolele from the 20 - 30's.

What do I want next? A Mya Moe, those things are b e a u t i f u l!

specialmike
10-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Mitchell Mu-70.

Ahnko Honu
10-26-2009, 06:53 AM
My buying had two waves with a long hiatus of 10 years in between.

First round on Maui 12 years ago I bought my Mahalo laminate pineapple first then about 2 months later my 1915 Koa Kumalae soprano. Both strung high G. Still have both. Interest waned due to circumstances beyond my control.

Last year my second wave came in as my interest in 'ukuleles reemerged after moving to Oahu.
Bought a Koa Mele pineapple concert strung low g, then about a month later my Koa super soprano R&L pineapple.

Bought more in both waves but you only asked about the first two. ;)

DeG
10-26-2009, 06:57 AM
First Act, $14.00 at Wal*Mart. I still have it, and it still sounds awful.

Edit: Sorry that was my first uke, second was an Applause soprano. It sounds Ok, but I haven't played it much since Jake signed it.

10-26-2009, 06:58 AM
first `ukulele was a student soprano laminate by Hawaiian `Ukulele Co. my cousin wen buy it for me since I was missing home. I liked it because it said Hawaiian across the headstock. that was about 12 years ago. never even re-string once.

second and third `ukulele was end of last year, koaloha concert. re-entrant stringing. at first didnt feel it, but as the wood started getting worked the brighter tone grew on me. reason for buying was i wanted a little more fret space, solid koa, Hawaiian made.

almost simultaneously bought was a `ohana vita. loud and bright, but lovely and friendly player. controlled the kani by stringing this low g. still loud but the low g filled it out.

a few more `ukulele later, next `ukulele to finish the herd will be a 6 stringer and another 8 stringer. preferably one being an `Oiwi made by Dave Tachera,out of Hawaiian wood coming out of the pu`uloa region of o`ahu (not necessarily grown there, but something with historical connection like milo).

existence
10-26-2009, 07:39 AM
1st, Hilo soprano from Guitar Center.

2nd, Concert Flea, a few years later

Lori
10-26-2009, 08:16 AM
My first was a Kala Mango Tenor, which I soon strung for Low G. As a guitar player, I knew I would like the ukulele, and didn't go for a super cheap one, and that one that appealed to me, and was a good transition size from the guitar. Then, just two weeks later, I bought my second, the Kala Spruce-top spalted maple long neck soprano, originally strung in High G for quite a while, but now is in low G.

I keep about half the ukes in high G and half in low G. The sopranos will all stay in high G. I split the ones with the concert length necks between high and low G. And the Tenor length necks are all tuned to low G right now.

–Lori

ZombieSaint
10-26-2009, 09:30 AM
First Uke was an Xmas present from parents when I was a wee little one (maybe age 10). It was pretty cheap, and I never really learned to play it.

Fast forward 31 years and I find I still have it and decide I'd like to give a shot at playing uke, so, I go to the nearby guitar center and get a Mitchell concert.

After sticking to it a few weeks I order a Kamoa Pineapple from UU (which should be here tomorrow (Wed. at the latest).

After I have had some time with the Kamoa, I eventually want a Mainland. Then the UAS can slow down.

Skrik
10-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Second uke: Brüko No. 6.

It's still my favourite thing to hold when I have a free moment.

cent
10-26-2009, 09:54 AM
the 2nd ukulele i ever bought was a tenor, high g, and the brand was leolani. it was about half a year after i bought my first one.

the 1st ukulele i ever bought was a soprano long neck, high g, and the brand was also leolani.

currently, i don't own either one but they were both excellent intermediate/beginner ukuleles.

brickerenator
10-26-2009, 10:28 AM
First was a white Mahalo U-30 Soprano, high G

Second (for my little brother actually) is a Black Makala dolphin bridge soprano, high g

ChamorroDT
10-26-2009, 10:34 AM
1st: "Kelii" - Koa Soprano
2nd: "Nice Ukulele" - 8 String Tenor

I've had a total of 4 Ukes, but this asks for 2nd. I've never actually BOUGHT an Ukulele, they were all given to me as gifts.

thejumpingflea
10-26-2009, 10:44 AM
First: Lanikai LU-21

Second: Applause UAE-20

UkeMan09
10-26-2009, 10:51 AM
First: Hilo 2652 Soprano

Second: Makala KA SEM Flame Mahogany Soprano (just ordered!) After 2.5 months, the first broke because it was so cheap!

-UM :shaka:

pondweed
10-26-2009, 10:52 AM
1. Ashton basic, with some better Martin strings shortly after
2. clearwater concert roundback
3. clearwater vita copy
Sold 1 and 3 for...

Kala travel sop

freedive135
10-26-2009, 11:54 AM
1st was a Johnson Soprano, I played it for a couple weeks.
I found UU and read I should try different strings (I knew NOTHING about stringed instruments).

I found a local shop went to get some strings and started messin around with better playing/sounding ukes and left with a Kala KA-S laminate Soprano knowing I would be getting better Ukes down the road and a bunch of different strings to try on it.

The Johnson is a wall hanger now, and the little Kala is my get signed Uke.

spots
10-26-2009, 12:17 PM
1st: soprano Flea
2nd: ... do I need two?

steveberryman
10-26-2009, 12:22 PM
First was a Mahalo laminate soprano that was 'ok' but sounded a bit tinny. After about 4 months (and this is 3 weeks ago!) i bought myself a Laka Koa Concert uke. Both tuned high g.

I want more though. there's something about them that makes me happy and im sad that i didnt discover them for so many years. I like to say that a strum a day keeps the sad times away.

phanzo
10-26-2009, 12:32 PM
My first uke was a Lanakai Pineapple that my brother got me from Hawai'i.

Bought my 2nd uke, an Oscar Schmidt OU-5 Concert Koa, about 6 months later.

Got my third, a facotry 2nd Mainland Honeybee Soprano with undersaddle pickup, just 2 days ago.

My 4th will be a "K brand" Super Concert or Tenor, but I'm not "allowed" to buy the K brand until I sell my OU-5. Wanna buy it!? ;) :anyone:

Lori
10-26-2009, 12:48 PM
1st: soprano Flea
2nd: ... do I need two?

Not if you are happy with just one. I can imagine being happy with just one instrument. For many years, I had just one guitar, or just one banjo. So, it is clear, it can happen. It will save you a lot of money in the long run.

But it is fun collecting and playing these ukuleles! It is like adding another dimension to the hobby, beyond playing. And their relatively lower cost makes it easier to try out different sizes and materials.

–Lori

NewMexicoDawG
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
1st-Kala Spalted Flame Maple/ Sitka (Long Neck)
2nd-Mainland Ukes - Classic Mahogany Tenor Ukulele:D

NatalieLin6
10-26-2009, 01:36 PM
First was a $30 laminate Kilauea soprano. My second was Mainland Mahogany Concert purchased a little over a year later.

Playscool39
10-26-2009, 01:47 PM
My first Uke is the "Mahalo ULP1BK" (Maple body) a soprano, bought it half of May this year. Just last week I ordered a KALA flamed Mahogany (Kala TEM-E3) at MGM. It really arrived quick in The Netherlands, but I'm still waiting for it (aaaarrrggghhh) bec. it still is at our Customs office :(:iwant:

Duddles
10-26-2009, 01:48 PM
My first ukulele was a Mitchell MU-100... :-(

I don't remember exactly when I started playing it frequently, but shortly after I started playing seriously I ordered a new uke:

A Pete Howlett Tenor Uklectic, tuned with a low g. I don't have it yet and I am waiting very patiently... Or at least I am waiting.... :iwant:

BrotherUke
10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Uke#1 Mitchell MU100 (Returned to GC)
Uke#2 Kamaka Tenor (took Jake's advice get the best instrument you can to learn) I love this instrument!
Uke#3 Fluke Tenor (my take anywhere uke)

mailman
10-26-2009, 02:01 PM
As my signature says, first was my Kala KA-SC, solid spruce-topped concert. Tuning is re-entrant, high G. I still play this one the most, as I prefer the size over my second purchase.

Uke #2 is a soprano, purchased 3 months after the first. Also tuned high G. It's solid sapele mahogany, with ebony fretboard, bridge, peghead faceplate and heel cap. It was hand made, not factory built. I like the uke, but feel cramped with the smaller size. I also don't care for the strings....GHS, I think they are. I've bought some Aquilas for it, but haven't tried them yet.

Next I may try a tenor. Unless I really love it I'll probably stick with concerts from now on....they just feel right, somehow.

lizaloo
10-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Soprano, high G, Kala, and my first uke was a cheapie half-plastic soprano. I lasted a month with that thing.

nukulele0
10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
1st uke, about 4 months ago is a lanikai lu-11 soprano
2nd uke, about 3 weeks ago is a kala acacia tenor, both strung high g

camface
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Got my first ukulele April 3rd, 2009. Wow, almost 7 months ago! It was a "B-stock" Oscar Schmidt OU2 concert size strung with high G.

Just recently (two or three weeks ago?) got a Kala Acacia Tenor from MGM. Strung with high G.

All the songs I know use the high G tuning. I'm afraid to switch to low G!

StevieC
10-26-2009, 04:02 PM
First uke was a Kala mango soprano.
Second was a Mele mahogany tenor, one year later.
Both strung high G.

itsme
10-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Don't have a second. Yet. Although I really haven't felt an onset of UAS.

First is a mahogany tenor Cordoba/La Playa.

If I were to get another, I'd probably stick to tenor, but maybe a pineapple in koa or another nice figured wood.

Mahogany, while it sounds nice, is pretty ordinary looking and I've seen some other gorgeous woods used for ukes. I like the pineapple shape because it doesn't just look like a mini guitar. :)

experimentjon
10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I got my second uke about 6 months after I started playing. I decided to just get one good uke (hah...buying just one more uke...what a novel idea, back then.) I was looking for a Kamaka Tenor, and tried some of the ones that were in stock, but was so impressed by the Kanilea K1-T that I walked out with the Kanilea instead.

Honu Uke
10-26-2009, 05:43 PM
My first uke is a Nalu Concert strung with a low G
my second is a ohana CK-50G with a high G.

i love both of em. specially since i can play mostly every song cuz i have a low g and a high g ukulele!

ritzer012
10-26-2009, 06:05 PM
first: lanikai lu-11 soprano high g....lasted a year
second: soprano koaloha high g
third: flea...got it 3 months after the koaloha

haolejohn
10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
My first uke was an oschar schmidt OU2 high g. It'd never stayed in tune. Bought it Just after 9/11. Never played it cause it sounded terrible and wouldn't hold a tune. 5 years later it is 2007 and I buy a Mele Braddah Solid Mahghany concert uke high g as well but all my ukes now are low G except my two koalohas. I was hooked then and it has to be solid wood except my cheap bangers.

CoLmes
10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
my first uke was a dollar off of youtube which I got as a gag, didn't know I'd fall in love. :drool:

Basically looked like this
http://www.greatmusicproductsonline.com/thumbnails/U30-LB.jpg

but with white flowers... I literally sat infront of my computer for 3 hours trying to learn how to play Hey There Delilah

MY 2nd uke was a Hilo Soprano which kind of sounded like a real instrument. It's not my signature Uke, even though it only has Aldy's sig and "portrait"

3rd uke was a Bushman Concert Jenny, I got it when Julia Nunes started getting big and I knew that was what she got for the Bushman contest. I didn't know much about ukes but hers sounded great and figured that be a good christmas present :)

4th Uke is a Kala KA-T I just recieved from Mokai :) I love it a lot and am always playing it. After cracking my Jenny I knew I needed a good beater Uke. And I wanted a tenor because I eventually want to get a good uke in that size. Going from my concert to a Tenor felt like going to a guitar, especially when I grabbed a few to jam with in the Brooklyn open mic.My bushman is still my baby but I'm in love with the Kala and the Tenor and can't wait til I can afford a really good tenor uke.

I just realized I have 4 ukes.. Holy crap.

kenikas
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
My first uke, I just bought in August is a Makala Tenor and am learnig to play with my grandkids who I bought Makala Dolphins for. I'm still dreaming about my second, but am hoping for a Kala acacia tenor or (or maybe and) the new Koalana Sapele concert (really wish those came in tenor!)

beeejums
10-27-2009, 02:00 AM
My first was a red Kala tenor with a laminate top, strung high-G.

My second was a cheapie Mahalo soprano, also high-G, but I gave it to my niece. I just wanted to try the soprano size, I liked it OK, but I also wanted to give my niece a uke.

Then I bought a concert Flea, high-G, but the Flea and the Kala fight over my affections.

(I tried low-G on my Kala and didn't like it, by the way.)

Sambient
10-27-2009, 03:14 AM
First was purchased a few years ago at a flea market, though not a used instrument. My musician husband recommended it, thinking I might enjoy ukulele. Though it was a spruce top looking brand x-ish sort of thing, he looked it over, thought it was decent and I spent my twenty or twenty-five dollars on it. The label inside says Gavelston.
And never really got around to doing much with it.

Cut to very recent times. I was getting that urge where I was once again threatening to learn an instrument (I lack stick-to-itiveness). Flirting with the bass again, then considering a guitar. I'd recently left a part-time job as a radio deejay because it stopped being fun after almost eleven years, but was realizing I needed something else. I didn't recognize that was what it was when I dissappeared down my favorite rabbit hole that is internet browsing, but I started really exploring instruments.
I decided to pick up that flea-market ukulele and mess with that a bit to prove to myself that there was some musical interest before moving on to either a small nylon-stringed guitar or an Ashbory bass. I decided to re-string the Gavelston to lefty and got to work. Less than a week later, I was having a stressful day after getting a scary phone call from the doctors office about needing a second mammogram so they could get a better picture of something that had shown up. I dissappeared into the internet to distract myself, decided to re-re-string the uke with the same old strings, in the usual configuration and try to tune it by ear. I was clinging to the ukulele because I was scared, but things finally started to click for me. By the end of the day I'd taken out my husband's Lanakai LU-21C and though he offered it to me, I wanted to explore my options. I wanted something of my own choosing. I figured I'd wind up purchasing something on the 'net, but come Friday night I was taken to "just see" what the local Sam Ash had. I had no expectations, but was surprised to see they had entry level Fleas and Flukes. This was something I thought I wanted. But when I was trying them out, I didn't feel that I was ready for those. I was also surprised to not really like the plastic fretboard. I wasn't too interested in the Oscar Schmidts that were there, I figured if I was gonna get an Oscar Schmidt, I'd get that pretty white OU3 with the abalone fish. Someone else local had that, I already knew I liked it.
We wandered from Ash to Guitar Center in the same mall. Just to see.
They actually had to unearth ukuleles for me to try. And for some reason, the Mitchell MU-100 and I really clicked. It was more than I was planning on spending at this still entry-level time, but I recognized that anything else I'd try afterwards I'd still be comparing to the way this Mitchell felt to me.
When we were leaving with my purchase I told my husband that I felt this would be an instrument that would inspire instrument monogamy, that I'd stop looking at other instruments for a good while.

Yeah. Right.
Less than two weeks later I had my Ashbory bass. It was the celebration for getting the clean bill of health after the second mammogram.
A week after that I was at 8th Street Music's tent sale when someone brought out a blemished Oscar Schmidt OU3 (not the white one) and put a $45 price tag on it. I didn't need it. I knew that. But I didn't want to let go of it either. That was a good deal. We spent some time there. I was browsing while my husband was falling for an electric/acoustic octave mandolin. Then he was falling for the Roland Micro Cube that I pointed out at a good price.
The mandolin went on lay-away and the other two items we purchased. I figured for $45, I could treat the Schmidt as a beater. It travels in a bag I made it from a sweatshirt of sentimental value and some thin foam padding.

I recently put new clear strings on the Gavelston, because I do still play it. I still know next to nothing, but nary a day goes by that I'm not strumming on something. Sometimes in my parked car on my lunch hour.

There's a Luna Honu on its way. It's just cute and I found someone selling it for $42 instead of the $69 I've been seeing it. I love a bargain and I've already had things at good prices get away from me because I hesitated.

Christmas is coming. I should be able to get another desire or so filled.

Matt Clara
10-27-2009, 03:14 AM
My second was an Ohana CK-25 all mahogany, and I still love that uke, almost as much as my Koaloha concert, and the main reason I like the Koaloha better is because it is aesthetically more pleasing, not to mention loaded with cool factor!

SailQwest
10-27-2009, 08:54 AM
First uke: Applause UA20 Soprano
Second uke: Bushman Jenny Concert w/pick-up, 4 months later

Spooner
10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
A jakced up, customized Pineapple Sunday.

ainokeato
10-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Lol I've said it four different times now here but i'm just excited lol. Let's cut to it.

My very first Uke the one I started learning on and the only one I have at the very moment, is a Lanikai Ck-C concert <3 she's my baybeh.

My second uke that's coming some time soon ordered it off their website. Is a Mainland Classic mahogany Tenor with undersaddle pickups I upped to getting an Mi-Si pick up to. So all in all it's a Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor with undersaddle pickups with an Mi-Si pick up gloss finish and silver gears with ebony buttons. Lol I can't wait it's my first tenor to I've only been able to listen to some tenors never got to even try one yet but I love the sound, Kiana (yes i've already named her, also for those who ask, it means divine or heavenly) will always be tuned a half or full step down. UNLESS the song in question needs to be tuned higher.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-27-2009, 07:47 PM
koa pili koko... 3rd uke will be spruce top. or a ovation/eleuke

mokai
10-29-2009, 02:03 AM
1st uke was an Applause UA10
2 months later...
2nd was a cat in the hat
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad276/imokai/belle.jpg

Landshark
10-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I bought my first Ukuklele on Monday a Kanile'a Tenor Custom low-G

Two days later I bought a Kamaka Concert HF-2

all while doing a jop here in Honolulu, good thing I am going back home soon

Lori
10-29-2009, 11:01 AM
I bought my first Ukuklele on Monday a Kanile'a Tenor Custom low-G

Two days later I bought a Kamaka Concert HF-2

all while doing a jop here in Honolulu, good thing I am going back home soon

Hey, that sounds like a great start! Love to see photos!

–Lori

Landshark
10-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Sure here you go
the Kanile'a Tenor

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Uketreefullfrtsm.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/UKEBacksm.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Uketreesidesm.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Ukeheadstocksm.jpg

Landshark
10-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Here is the Kamaka Concert
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Kamakafrtfullsm.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Kamakabacksm.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Kamakasidesm.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/KamakaHead.jpg

sukie
10-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Sure here you go
the Kanile'a Tenor

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Uketreefullfrtsm.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/UKEBacksm.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Uketreesidesm.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/Ukeheadstocksm.jpg

Awfully gorgeous. Yowza!!!

The second ukulele I purchased was a flea. It was priced so nice I couldn't leave it in the store.

davidp
10-29-2009, 05:19 PM
my first was a cheapie Mahalo tenor about 6 weeks ago, but my second is winging it's way towards me now from MGM. A Kala Acacia tenor ...can't wait to get my grubbies on that.

davidp