Your second Uke. What did you buy?

it was until 6 months and a bit after until i bought my second uke

1st uke was a mahalo laminate mahogany.
2nd was a custom black wood koa. Both High G tenors.
then a year from my second to get my 3rd which is also high G tenor. This is another custom.

1st uke was a Fender solid mahogany high G. Purchased a curly mango Pono with pickup a few months later because I wanted a low G uke. Just purchased a Koaloha (Koa, of course) high G to replace the Fender that I gifted to my brother to get him started. Next purchase will be a Moore Bettah as soon as I can scrape my change together. It'll take a lot of change! :)

My first uke was made by Mitubagakki, Japan - a solid mahogany soprano. It sounded OK, and was good to play, but the side developed a bad split along the grain - then the bridge popped off. My second uke was one I made myself from scratch. Again a soprano, made from a wood called "sepetir", used in the furniture industry in England. I built it too lightly, and after about nine years the bridge was leaning at an alarming angle. I then braced it, but that made it sound "dead".

I can't remember what was the second uke I bought, but I've now got a whole herd of them grazing contendedly in my bedroom, and straying into every other room, too.

Ukantor.

First was a Makala dolphin tuned re-entrant gCEA.

Second was a solid mahogany Stagg concert a few months later. Tuned that one low G.

Third was a few months after the Stagg, and is a solid mahogany Kala tenor which is my daily uke now. Back to re-entrant tuning.

1st Greg Bennet concert High G and also a kala 8 string tenor at the same time

2nd Kanilea K-1 tenor satin finish high G

First uke I owned was an Aria baritone tuned DGBE. Didn't play it much.
First uke I bought was a Kamaka soprano. High G.

Second uke was a concert pineapple Flea with rosewood fretboard. I wanted something cheaper and more travel-ready than the Kamaka. Usually high G, but tried it with low G for a while until I bought my KoAloha tenor (which is now my low G uke).

Size, High/Low G, manufacturer, and what was your first Uke? How long before you bought your second Uke? Mahalo.

My first uke was a generic $30 soprano, after about 3 months I got a Kala Watermelon soprano, both high-G

my first was a Pono mahogany soprano, and I liked it so well I decided to try the concert. Turns out I don't like the concert nearly as well, although it sounds good, it's just too big.

As far as time between purchases goes, I was a member of the "Uke of the Month Club" last spring. My secret, I've been cleaning out the closets of Ebay merchandise and converting that money into ukes.

Last edited:
1st - Rogue soprano(20$ on Musicians Freind).
2nd - 2 weeks later, Ovation Applause soprano.

Now I play a Bushman Jenny Tenor tuned dGBE.

soprano pineapple, high g, Lanikai. my first ukulele was a Lauren baritone.

1st was a Hilo soprano

3 months later bought a Kala F Hole Tenor!...which i really like btw

next one will be a solid something or another...If i can get my playing ability decent enough to justify the purchase..lol

First was a Hilo soprano (40$ at guitar center). Second was my Cordoba Concert (says Koa, but widely thought to be acacia), and I love it. Its my trusty fall back uke. Added dual piezo internal pickup on it as well as strap buttons.

First was a Mainland Honeybee, second a Slingerland Banjolele from the 20 - 30's.

What do I want next? A Mya Moe, those things are b e a u t i f u l!

Last edited:
My buying had two waves with a long hiatus of 10 years in between.

First round on Maui 12 years ago I bought my Mahalo laminate pineapple first then about 2 months later my 1915 Koa Kumalae soprano. Both strung high G. Still have both. Interest waned due to circumstances beyond my control.

Last year my second wave came in as my interest in 'ukuleles reemerged after moving to Oahu.
Bought a Koa Mele pineapple concert strung low g, then about a month later my Koa super soprano R&L pineapple.

Bought more in both waves but you only asked about the first two. ;)

first `ukulele was a student soprano laminate by Hawaiian `Ukulele Co. my cousin wen buy it for me since I was missing home. I liked it because it said Hawaiian across the headstock. that was about 12 years ago. never even re-string once.

second and third `ukulele was end of last year, koaloha concert. re-entrant stringing. at first didnt feel it, but as the wood started getting worked the brighter tone grew on me. reason for buying was i wanted a little more fret space, solid koa, Hawaiian made.

almost simultaneously bought was a `ohana vita. loud and bright, but lovely and friendly player. controlled the kani by stringing this low g. still loud but the low g filled it out.

a few more `ukulele later, next `ukulele to finish the herd will be a 6 stringer and another 8 stringer. preferably one being an `Oiwi made by Dave Tachera,out of Hawaiian wood coming out of the pu`uloa region of o`ahu (not necessarily grown there, but something with historical connection like milo).

Last edited:
Top Bottom