Newbie question on Ohana TK-35G

happytails

Reaction score
Hi,

Got hooked on ukulele music recently at a concert featuring a local ukulele band....they were having so much fun!.. I haven't played a musical instument since my folk music days forty years ago, but decided maybe learning to play and enjoying a ukulele is a possiblility. Been searching ukes and learning a lot online and came across this forum. In some old postings there was a discussion about Ken Middleton's review of the Ohana TK-35G ukulele. I tripped across his review several times in my searches and each time was not able to access it. I was very inspired by Ken's playing on other Youtube videos and impressed by Ken's reviews of other instruments. There was enough dialog in comments to help me make a decision and I ordered the Ohana....can't wait. Still I would like to hear/see the review after-the-fact. Anyway of doing so?

I have an Ohana TK-35g and it is a lovely Ukulele. A very full warm sound. My only gripes are firstly that I personally find the nut stands a bit tall and digs into my hand when I play that end of the neck and secondly that the strings are closer to the edge of the fretboard than my other Ukuleles and sometimes I push the string over the edge of the fretboard. Both are probably down to my technique though and I am certainly not trying to put you off.

Ian.

Thanks for replying. Guess I'll have to get used to the drawbacks....there probably isn't a perfect choice out there in my price range. It's the tone that first appealed to me.

I recently got a CK35G and it's a very nice uke, though I do find the action a little high (predominatly at the bridge, though it could also be lower at the nut) in comparison to my Kala. I also initially expierienced the same thing as Grumpyoldman, of the outer strings being too close to the edge of the fingerboard and my fingers pulling strings off the neck when bending etc. This has improved with getting used to the uke and I overall I would say I am very pleased with my Ohana! I hope you get as much pleasure out of yours!

Hi,

Got hooked on ukulele music recently at a concert featuring a local ukulele band....they were having so much fun!.. I haven't played a musical instument since my folk music days forty years ago, but decided maybe learning to play and enjoying a ukulele is a possiblility. Been searching ukes and learning a lot online and came across this forum. In some old postings there was a discussion about Ken Middleton's review of the Ohana TK-35G ukulele. I tripped across his review several times in my searches and each time was not able to access it. I was very inspired by Ken's playing on other Youtube videos and impressed by Ken's reviews of other instruments. There was enough dialog in comments to help me make a decision and I ordered the Ohana....can't wait. Still I would like to hear/see the review after-the-fact. Anyway of doing so?

I'd suggest you send Ken a personal message and ask him about the review you are interested in. He can probably tell you how to access it.

And, although I forgot the first time, welcome to UU from me as well!

I shot Ken a quick message for you and asked him to "drop by" here to see if he could help you out.... Given a bit of time, I'm sure he'd be glad to help.

Thank you all so much for the feedback, help and for the warm welcome! Will watch the video of the G35 and maybe touch base with Ken via this great forum. Looks like I'll be "tweaking" my uke when it comes (action) and will try not to get discouraged playing it until I get the hang of it and am able to keep the outer strings on the fret board. I'm not expectng it to arrive with geared tuning pegs as it was not described that way by MGM....more tweaking. Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you all so much for the feedback, help and for the warm welcome! Will watch the video of the G35 and maybe touch base with Ken via this great forum. Looks like I'll be "tweaking" my uke when it comes (action) and will try not to get discouraged playing it until I get the hang of it and am able to keep the outer strings on the fret board. I'm not expectng it to arrive with geared tuning pegs as it was not described that way by MGM....more tweaking. Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I wouldn't worry about the action if you ordered your uke from MGM, all three uke's I bought from him were set up perfectly.

Yes, just enjoy your new ukulele. And welcome. If you have any questions at all, be sure to ask. You will get all the answers you need here. :)

In some old postings there was a discussion about Ken Middleton's review of the Ohana TK-35G ukulele. I tripped across his review several times in my searches and each time was not able to access it ... Still I would like to hear/see the review after-the-fact. Anyway of doing so?

The video has been restored.

KEN

Last edited:
Top Bottom