Soprano Uke String Gauges

mmorris1333

Reaction score
For a standard Soprano Ukulele, what are the standard string gauges? I just ordered a Lanikai LU-11 Standard Ukulele and need strings for it, because I hear that the stock strings sound pretty bad and that I should replace them. So, what would be the right gauge for this uke?

AND...

Do you have any preferences for strings? I will probably try out a few brands of strings and find a favorite for myself (I did this with guitar, so I figure I will with Uke as well.)

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Hi there, welcome to UU!

There really aren't any standard string gauges for ukulele. As long as the set you buy says it will work for soprano, you're okay (even if it's for a bigger ukulele, you can just cut them shorter.)

I thought those entry level Lanikais came strung with Aquilas, but I could be wrong. If so, you shouldn't need to change them, as Aquilas are good quality. They are many folks' favorite brand, as a matter of fact. But yeah, if it comes with cheap no-name strings you will definitely want to change them.

As far as brands go, you'll get a variety of answers. In the end, you'll have to decide for yourself, but start with Worths or Fremonts (made of flourocarbon), Hilos or Koolau Golds (made of nylon), and Aquilas (made of NylGut.) Those three materials are the most common for ukulele strings, and will draw out different sorts of sounds from any given ukulele.

Enjoy your new uke...

Top Bottom