Song Help Request Transpose Suggestions?

HungSolo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into recording Cash's 25 Minutes To Go with the uke. In the right way, I'm thinking it would be a pretty interesting song to do stripped down, just vocals and the uke. Problem is, the standard progression (mostly G D G D, etc) doesn't sound very interesting or captures the feel of the song much on the uke. Interested in what any of you would think would be a better key to play it in. Maybe it's just not as good on the uke as the guitar, but I'd like to give it a try.

Cheers,
Michael

Yeah, I can imagine this song not sounding too great on the uke... Major chords usually sound really "happy" on the uke. Maybe Aldrine can give some advice.

Whenever I have a problem like that, I just keep messing around until something sounds good. I'm of the opinion that any song can be successfully translated to ukulele. It's just a matter of finding it.

That song in particular would lend itself well to a dynamic interpretation. As the song counts down the number of minutes, you can build up tension in the song with your strum. Start out all nice and easy, then end with some crazy triplets.

Whenever I have a problem like that, I just keep messing around until something sounds good. I'm of the opinion that any song can be successfully translated to ukulele. It's just a matter of finding it.

That song in particular would lend itself well to a dynamic interpretation. As the song counts down the number of minutes, you can build up tension in the song with your strum. Start out all nice and easy, then end with some crazy triplets.

I'm thinking the same way. I think it could go pretty well once I find the right start.

BTW - liked your interpretation of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Did you transpose that or just play it as is?

Attachments

• IMG_4843.jpg
    IMG_4843.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4841.jpg
    IMG_4841.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4840.jpg
    IMG_4840.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4839.jpg
    IMG_4839.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 5
This is all in the strumming I think. DId you want to change the mood or keep that same country feel to it? If you wanna keep that feel, you should definitely try different kinds of strums and such.

If not, then maybe you can change the chords around and add some nice major 7th's? Hahahaha I just have that obsession with putting maj7th's in everything haha.

This is all in the strumming I think. DId you want to change the mood or keep that same country feel to it? If you wanna keep that feel, you should definitely try different kinds of strums and such.

If not, then maybe you can change the chords around and add some nice major 7th's? Hahahaha I just have that obsession with putting maj7th's in everything haha.

I'm not sure I'm looking for the same feel, still pecking around for what sounds right to my ears. I'm partial to how Pearl Jam did it live a few years ago up here in Seattle, but I'm pretty sure they did it in the maj chords and just used the band depth to make it feel darker.

+1 on maj7's. I've been partial to them on the guitar for a few years now. But for this song, I'm searching for a minor key or a dimX that might make it feel a bit dark yet hopeful until near the end where it really builds up...

BTW - liked your interpretation of Smells Like Teen Spirit. Did you transpose that or just play it as is?

Thanks man. It's transposed from F to D. It was too high for me to sing in F.

Keep us posted on this song, dude.

I don't have my uke next to me to try it but i'd try chords made with fifths (a la mandolin) for the root chords and dom. 7 or 9 for the IV and V chords. Subbing a dim7 chord a semitone above the V chord can work well as the dominant chord. (i.e. key of C or Cm, play Ab dim7 instead of G7... which gives you an implied G7b9 chord)

minor might be cool too. I think a lot has to do with the rhythmic aspects that you add to it too.

Top Bottom