Buyers Guide?

Jmic

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to ukes, but I've fallen in love with the sound! I'm really interested in purchasing my first brand new uke. What I need from you guys is some input on what I should be looking for.

I want something quality for less than $250 that will last me a long time and sound good, too. Something that would stay tuned really well with low action would be nice! What brands should I look for? Are there specific models that are really the industry standard?

I think I'm interested in a Tenor uke.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!

--Jmic

Last edited:
I think it will really help you to dig around a bit in these forums by using the search function, there are a load of threads with brand / model info.
For the money you can spend, Kala springs to mind as their tenors are very reasonably priced and are said to be good value. How about borrow a uke somewhere, make a video and win the black Kala they are giving away right now? ;)
Another option would be a concert-sized Fluke or Flea, can't go wrong with the sound and a nice piece of equipment to have. Any reason for the tenor? Flukes take low-G as well, and you can get a tenor neck on them if you wish (but that would be more than $250 I guess).

Although there aren't much reviews in it yet, you can check our user review section.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/ukereviews

Hopefully more people will add their reviews for their ukes in the future and we can create a really valuable resource for uke shoppers.

Definatly use the search feature, there have been several threads about this. Also check out Musicguymike's store on ebay. he sets up all the ukes with good strings and alot of people here on UU have bought from him.

Be warned it starts with one then the UAS kicks in.

Top Bottom