ukulele underground is rad but. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdnado

Reaction score
I have learned a great deal on this website and I think it is truly awesome however I think that there is a lot of great ukulele music thats gets overlooked. For instance check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdxMZ5Gcjn8
I gues what sparked me writing this was the super cheezy smurf song on the main page for the member of the week. Just wish there was more focus on just good ol jam style ukulele music with some soul

I hope you meant "cheezy" in a good way.

Although there are a lot of traditional style players here, UU seems to have members who view the uke as a musical instrument and not strictly as a Hawaiian musical instrument to play traditional Hawaiian music. I can't remember the last time I heard the owners of this site play any slack key.

i happen to like the "cheezy" smurf song and the variety of music people like to play on their uke ! i cant stand it when people think it is only for hawiian sounding songs or "traditional" songs.. nothing wrong with those.. but the uke is a very versatile instrument

I agree also, yes ukulele is a very traditional instrument, it shouldn't be limited to a certain style. Although I do have to say the vid is great and the music in it is beautiful.

yeah, I agree that the ukulele is versatile, so is any instrument for that matter, and I did not suggest being limited to one style but I was just saying that I feel there shold be more Jamming style stuff on the site. Does that make sense?

I only recently discovered slack key, maybe six months ago. The first piece I heard was an arrangement by Ozzie Kotani called Moe 'Uhane. After listening to it repeatedly for about an hour, I thought, "this is real music". I've spent a lot of hours since then listening to artists such as Ledward Kapaana, Cyril Pahinui, and Keola Beamer just to name a few. When I play ukulele, I try to uncover how they do this magic and although I've learned a few tricks, most of it alludes me. Meanwhile, I log-in to YT and see the latest attempt at Metallica on a Flying-V.

For those who are capable and experienced in slack key and are sharing their magic with the online community, I thank you. If it weren't for you, I would never have heard slack key. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be able to play slack key.

I believe that one of the key value propositions of UU is to showcase the ukulele's versatility. Therefore, although not at the expense of excluding "island" style, the focus is on "non-traditional" ukulele music.

There have been some lessons on "Hawaiian-style" vamps and riffs, although not nearly as many as other styles for reasons stated above.

yeah, I agree that the ukulele is versatile, so is any instrument for that matter, and I did not suggest being limited to one style but I was just saying that I feel there shold be more Jamming style stuff on the site. Does that make sense?

Perhaps you didn't look hard enough? I teach a lot of different styles to not exclude anyone out. Jamming styles and such have been covered before on this site. We've had lessons on vamps, drop baby drop, and a bunch of others if you just look hard enough. There's even a bunch of local songs being taught on the live lessons. There's something for everybody on this site.

The member video of the week was awesome! She sang that song with a smile in her voice. You can't claim that it had no soul. Smurfs are a jamming crew, you just don't know it yet. If you and a friend learned that song and played it, wouldn't that be considered a jamming song? In that sense, ALL songs are jamming songs.

Or perhaps this was a clever way to show everyone a video of you jammin? *nudge nudge* hahaha

:D

Last edited:
Yo! Just what exact part of a smurf is cheezy???

Don't none of you be dissin' my little blue friends. They're sensitive little buggers. And blue at that, although you can't really blame them and they will be hurt to the bottom of their little blue souls if you do. It ain't easy being blue, and then the hats... OMROFL.

Yes, that is indeed read as "Oh, my roffle"...

And I'll take a Hawaiian vamp any time of day. I used to practice them so much, my canary fills in for me now in the island songs. He (she? no idea) is such a cool surfin' bird!

Blrprlrprlprplrprlrplrlrr........ "Surfin' biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird!!!!" Ah mamah hoomaw maw maw...

The music in that link was pleasant, and very well played, but I wouldn't choose to listen to it. I guess we all have different preferences in music - now THERE'S a surprise!

Ukantor.

I was just saying that I feel there shold be more Jamming style stuff on the site. Does that make sense?

I'm kind of an old fart, of course, but I'm not really sure what "jamming style" is. Can't you "jam" to any style? :confused:

JJ

Personally I am glad that people do not keep within the confines of "traditional" uke playing.

If everyone kept within those confines we wouldn't have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

As previously mentioned, all instruments are "traditional" but we as musicians have the freedom to step outside of the box.

If guitar players kept within the confines of "traditional" guitar playing we wouldnt have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2bGUeDnqPY

Member videos of the week are videos that were submitted and voted on to earn that particular weekly spot. That does not mean that they were the best video that an ukulele player added to YouTube that week.

If Iz can play an Eddie Arnold song and Jake can play a George Harrison song and Ohta San can play a pop song like Wind Beneath My Wings than that should indicate that stepping outside of the 'traditional" box for ukulele players is a good thing.

What one chooses to focus on in their ukulele playing is a personal choice and should be encouraged...not frowned upon.

For any newcomers to the ukulele reading this thread...PLAY WHAT YOU WANT. PLAY IT TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY AND DON'T LET OTHERS' OPINIONS DETER YOU FROM MAKING MUSIC THAT YOU ENJOY!

I have learned a great deal on this website and I think it is truly awesome however I think that there is a lot of great ukulele music thats gets overlooked. For instance check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdxMZ5Gcjn8
I gues what sparked me writing this was the super cheezy smurf song on the main page for the member of the week. Just wish there was more focus on just good ol jam style ukulele music with some soul

that was some awesome U-Bass playing!

I'm happy that the Uke allows me to play so many different styles of music. as a bagpipe player I know that there are instruments which are way more bound to a traditional style. I mean you can play everything on the pipes, it just won't sound like anything anyone would recognize^^

Watch it, sdnado, you might get an infraction for insulting plenty of members here. Doesn't matter that you might be correct.

Personally I am glad that people do not keep within the confines of "traditional" uke playing.

If everyone kept within those confines we wouldn't have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k

As previously mentioned, all instruments are "traditional" but we as musicians have the freedom to step outside of the box.

If guitar players kept within the confines of "traditional" guitar playing we wouldnt have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2bGUeDnqPY

Member videos of the week are videos that were submitted and voted on to earn that particular weekly spot. That does not mean that they were the best video that an ukulele player added to YouTube that week.

If Iz can play an Eddie Arnold song and Jake can play a George Harrison song and Ohta San can play a pop song like Wind Beneath My Wings than that should indicate that stepping outside of the 'traditional" box for ukulele players is a good thing.

What one chooses to focus on in their ukulele playing is a personal choice and should be encouraged...not frowned upon.

For any newcomers to the ukulele reading this thread...PLAY WHAT YOU WANT. PLAY IT TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY AND DON'T LET OTHERS' OPINIONS DETER YOU FROM MAKING MUSIC THAT YOU ENJOY!

Some awesome commentary this week!

Hi sdnado. First of all, thanks for the link you provided. That's some really great playing. I subbed.

Secondly, I just want to say that you could have made that suggestion without bashing another member. Thanks.

I have to agree with the OP....

I have learned alot form the crew here at UU... Thanks everyone!!!

Calling someones effort cheezy... that lacks a little.
I don't have to like the style/song a persons playin to see that it takes effort/guts to work out a video submission.
I haven't done one!!!

And as far as Jammin style songs go what do you want covered/exposed here? The Dead or Phish? to me that is what jam bands play.
(please don't cover/teach any Phish songs Aldrine... Please)

Can I just jump in here in defense of "cheezy" (aka "cheesy")?

People keep using that word like that's a bad thing. Au contraire, mes freres! Sometimes the cheesiest things are also awesome.

The world could use a little more cheesiness if you ask me.

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom