Good ukulele to start with?

Ohdayumsayum

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm going to start learning how to play but I don't know what kind of ukulele to buy and where to buy it. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

If you want to buy cheap, get a Makala Dolphin from MGM. Or if you don't want the cute color and dolphin bridge, get some other form of Makala from him. That's probably the best budget uke you can get, it comes with Aquila strings which you'll need for good sound and he'll set it up well for you.

But what's your budget? If you can spend more than 50, doors are a'opening.

Hello and welcome to UU.

I see your located in Orange County you might wanna go take a look at Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach. I bought my first uke there, its a great store with a wide selection of low end to high end ukes and the owner Shirley is extremely friendly and knowledgeable.

it's semi difficult to answer this question without knowing what you are looking for

like toucan mango says, try them in person.. it will make a world of a difference
if you can't do that... mainland ukes are amazing
if those aren't your cup of tea, check out MGM on ebay..(kala, makala have consistant quality control)

mainland, MGM, kala... all run by guys named Mike.. you can't go wrong

Hey guys! I'm going to start learning how to play but I don't know what kind of ukulele to buy and where to buy it. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

First, welcome Ukulele Underground. You found the right place if you are going to get into the Ukulele. Now.....here at UU, your question has been asked many a time. I would say figure out how much you are willing to spend. You can find Ukulele from $50 to over $3000. No music stores in your area? You can go on ebay and visit "musicguymic". He is probably the next biggest seller of ukulele next to the Kala Ukulele company. You can view the many ukuleles he has on his website. If you are still unsure of what to buy, just email him. He is very helpful, very professional, and will definitely not steer you wrong. If you order through musicguymic, he makes sure each ukulele is set up correctly and dresses each ukulele before shipping. Any other questions, don't hesistate to post a message. Lots of helpful people here on UU. Aloha, Dino

Welcome to UU.

But you have not given us any indication of what you want size or price wise.

Honestly, there are a gazillion "what to buy threads" here so you might look at some of them and give us some further clues.

Welcome to UU!!
First question: What size are your hands? Are you looking for a soprano (the small one) a concert (Middle size) a tenor (little bit bigger than concert) or a baritone (biggest but tuned differently normally). What is your price range? Are you searching for a solid wood or a laminate? Are you wanting a Hawaiian made or an import? What is your music back ground? Have you ever played ukulele before?

Welcome to UU!!
First question: What size are your hands? Are you looking for a soprano (the small one) a concert (Middle size) a tenor (little bit bigger than concert) or a baritone (biggest but tuned differently normally). What is your price range? Are you searching for a solid wood or a laminate? Are you wanting a Hawaiian made or an import? What is your music back ground? Have you ever played ukulele before?

Sorry about not putting any specifications! I'm looking for a Soprano since my hands are rather small. My price range is at about 50-75 dollars. My personal music back ground I'm currently in choir in high school but that's about it. I've been borrowing my friends ukulele which is a soprano. But I don't know the specifications on it.

El Honeybee

Sorry about not putting any specifications! I'm looking for a Soprano since my hands are rather small. My price range is at about 50-75 dollars. My personal music back ground I'm currently in choir in high school but that's about it. I've been borrowing my friends ukulele which is a soprano. But I don't know the specifications on it.

Welcome to the Underground!

I know this isnt in your price range but I just bought a "factory 2nd" Mainland Honeybee Soprano. I got it used from a fellow UU'er but you can buy them new for $200 (used to be $280). That comes with an undersaddle pickup installed. You may be able to talk to them about getting one w/o the pickup for cheaper. Not sure if they do that though. You may wanna ask Mike from Mainland, he's also a fellow UU'er.

I know that is out of your price range but I think you would be very satisfied if you saved up for one of them. It sounds as good, if not better, than most $400-500 Sopranos.

That's just my take. There are plenty of decent ukes for under $100 but if you spend the extra money, you will get a much better instrument that will keep you happy for years to come (or until your UAS becomes unbearable, which most likely will be sooner rather than later....just sayin').

I will say, however, if you go with one of the cheaper ukes, make sure to buy from MGM; he will make it sound as good as possible...FOR FREE

Hope this helps!

Everyone that has steered you to "MGM" or "musicguymic" is referring to THIS
GUY
(<----click here) :confused:. He is a ukulele seller in Hawaii who will help you get the right ukulele.

What's your budget like? Don't go too cheap or the lack of quality, playability, and sound may discourage you.

I would suggest a Lanikai CK-C that was my first ukulele I began learning on, I still use it and am waiting for my second uke to arrive in the mail. VERY Good uke to have I have big fingers *imo* and I don't have much problems playing it, it's pretty and sounds "awesome" *imo*. It's a hundred or more outside of your budget but worth every single penny.

Since you're looking for a pretty cheap soprano, I'd recommend a Lanikai LU-21. It's a decent uke that you can find for about $50, and it's pretty great to learn on. It's the one I started on (and am still using - haven't taken the next step yet) and I like it a lot. It's not amazing, but it gets the job done.

Edit: Here's where I got mine, although they upped the price a bit.

Last edited:
I love my Kala Kiwi uke, and it's in that price range. The nice thing is, when you get another uke, the Kiwi can be your travel uke, ready for life on-the-go! Check out my review on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6RfRzMW1t0

The pineapple shape might give you a little extra volume too.

The Makala Dolphin bridge is also a nice uke. Less expensive, with a little lower quality control on the details (mostly small issues with paint finish), but a great uke at a great price. I haven't heard the new ones with the plastic bodies, but the wooden ones were great.

–Lori

Top Bottom