La Folia variations - improv and a CHALLENGE!

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
The story of "La Folia" is a remarkable one.La Folia is an ancient chord progression from Renaissance Portugal which has fascinated composers throughout history. An estimated 350 composers have created works that either allude to or are variations on the La Folia theme. Some of the more famous composer to do this are Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Salieri, Corelli, and Vivaldi. Beethoven's 5th Symphony is said to quote La Folia in the second movement.

This is a video of me simply noodling around with the chord progression. It's not very good. But the scenes of Lanesville, Indiana, at the peak of the fall season is worth watching.

I want to "challenge" any ukuleleist who's watching this to create a video playing around with La Folia. Personally, I'm intrigued to know what KenMiddletonUkulele, Ukeval, Deach, Sheepstar15 and LeoHareMusic would do with it. But Everbody's welcome to. It makes for a great exercise in improv and doing -runs up the scale and what-not! Guys?
: )

Here's the chord progression in Dm:
Dm - A7 - Dm - C - F - C - Dm -A7
Dm - A7 - Dm - C - F - C - Dm / A7- Dm

Last edited:
Top idea

Alan, this is such a great idea.

I've never heard of it before (so uneducated!), but I'm up for having a go.
It'll be fun to branch away from my usual stuff into something new, so thank you for that :D

Alan, this is such a great idea.

I've never heard of it before (so uneducated!), but I'm up for having a go.
It'll be fun to branch away from my usual stuff into something new, so thank you for that :D

There's a video on YT of a mandolinist who set it to words and made a kind of folk song out of it. So, anything goes! I'm glad you're interested.

Top Bottom