If you had $300-$350 budget...

eculuke

Reaction score
I recently got into uke's after my trip to hawaii. There I visited bounty music in Maui and picked up an all wood soprano pono. Now the bug has bit me. My birthday is Nov 2. And I am looking to pick up a good concert size uke. My budget is 300-350. If you were me, in that price range, which uke would you get?

Thanks
Luke

Kala solid acacia, or maybe Kala solid koa if they do it in a concert.

I've been so pleased with my Kala solid mahogany tenor that I'd be happy to stay loyal to the brand for my next uke if I ever bought one.

Those solid acacias look and sound great to me.

It's lucky I don't really need another uke, coz my available budget is closer to $0.35 ! :D

I recently got into uke's after my trip to hawaii. There I visited bounty music in Maui and picked up an all wood soprano pono. Now the bug has bit me. My birthday is Nov 2. And I am looking to pick up a good concert size uke. My budget is 300-350. If you were me, in that price range, which uke would you get?

Thanks
Luke

Mainland Mango.

The Lanikai is pretty. Wonder how they sound. The specs say solid top! :)

The Mainland... well, it's a Mainland, so presumably it's a great uke!

Looks like the regular Mainland concert is out of stock right now, but they do have the slotted headstock version, which is the same thing except for the headstock style. I've been working on a series of comparison posts for this uke and a Collings concert, check it out here, maybe you'll get some useful information out of it: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20268

I really like the mainland...the darn concert is out of stock.......any thoughts on tenor vs concert. I know alot of it is personal preference. the soprano is a little small for me.

I just called mainland and he said he did have tenor in stock.....he said since I have been a long time guitar player, tenor might be better suited......the confusion continues

I vote tenor.

Either one of these would be a good choice, both kalas:

this

or this
I own the cutaway version with p/u of this uke and mine sounds excellent. nice tone bright top, balanced mids and lows I have it strung with low g pro-artes and its exceedingly balanced.

If you like the idea of a cutaway and pickup I'd spend 400 on this one

I would go with Kala or Mainland...

the lanikai does look nice, and I'm sure it sounds good but you probably arent going to have someone go over the setup and show it the extra attention that Mike or MGM would show...and I dont think MGM has lanikai

Mainland all the way. The ukes are fantastic and you will not find better customer service anywhere.

I am really loving my Mainland Concert Mango, so any Mainland gets my vote. I don't own a Lanikai, so I can't really weigh in on it's sound or quality.

I understand your attraction to the Spalted Lanikai. The tricky thing there is that with spalted grains, each uke will look wildly different from one another. Make sure you get to see a picture of the exact uke you are buying. The range of coloring and grain pattern can be startling.

As for size, tenor is definitely closer to guitar in playability and sound. You will have an easier time on the left hand with more room, but you will also get a more guitar-like sound. If you want a more uke-like sound, go for the concert. I find the concert neck pretty comfortable, and I came from the guitar too. Keep trying on the soprano, it will get easier with time (it did for me anyway).

Christmas is coming, maybe you can get both....

–Lori

Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert Ukulele

man...does anybody have the MainlandClassic Mahogany Concert in stock!!!

Hamano H-100C

Elderly instruments has the Hamano H-100C on sale right now, with free shipping. They usually street for something like 325. It's solid mahogany, has classy looks, and sounds great. The one I played had fantastic intonation as well.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/names/hamano-h-100c-concert-ukulele--H100C.htm

I've played a decent number of concerts in this price range, including Lanikais, Ohanas, and Kalas (haven't tried a Mainland though), and IMO this is the best of them.

Last edited:
man...does anybody have the MainlandClassic Mahogany Concert in stock!!!

The slotted headstock version looks like is still in stock, if you like slotted headstocks. It appears to be exactly the same uke otherwise.

Top Bottom