PDA

View Full Version : Choosing my first tenor uke!

Kirshach
10-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Hello everybody!
I'm choosing my first tenor ukulele somewhere about 200$ so I wanted to ask you two questions^^

1) I want to buy Oscar Schmidt OU-7T, but I haven't heard it's sounding. What's the difference between OU-6 and OU-7T? Would you recommend to buy one of them? Or maybe something else? (:
2) http://cgi.ebay.com/Solid-Koa-Tenor-Ukulele-wood-inlaid-flower-Aquila-U940_W0QQitemZ360200613462QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item53dda12e56 - this uke is too beatiful to cost 220$ and include hardcase :D
Does it sounds good or what's bad about it?

Thank you!

GrumpyCoyote
10-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of any of the Oscar's I've played... Give Mainland, or even Ohana a try for that price. More uke for the money in my opinion.

phanzo
10-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of any of the Oscar's I've played... Give Mainland, or even Ohana a try for that price. More uke for the money in my opinion.

:agree: I've been playing an OU-5 Concert for over a year. It's ok. Far from anything special. For the money, a Mainland blows an Oscar OUT OF THE WATER. Not even close in comparison. Seriously. Not. Even. Close. I just got a Mainland Soprano and it knocks my socks off.

I wish someone would have suggested Mainland to me before I bought my OU-5. Spend the extra money now and it will certainly save you money down the road. Trust me, an Oscar will only make you want more. Go with a Mainland and you wont be dissapointed. I havent played an Ohana but they are worth checking out as well for your price range.

Hope this helps!

Kirshach
10-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Oh wow, Mainland sounds great but I think I've just felt in love with Kamoa Mahogany Tenor :drool:
I don't know why, but I like it's sounding soooo much... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ7qeSIfAuA It's so warm and... just amazing, I think I'll buy it... Thank you guys for persuading me from Oscar!

GrumpyCoyote
10-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Oh wow, Mainland sounds great but I think I've just felt in love with Kamoa Mahogany Tenor :drool:
I don't know why, but I like it's sounding soooo much... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ7qeSIfAuA It's so warm and... just amazing, I think I'll buy it... Thank you guys for persuading me from Oscar!
Be aware - those are laminate ukes. Perfectly good laminates with a fine reputation (you can even get them here in the UU store), but not solid wood like the Mainlands...

cornfedgroove
10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
dont be so impulsive lol...the thread started with OS and now is Kamoa...

take a deep breath and listen to what people are saying haha...fall in love with a mainland :)

ainokeato
10-27-2009, 02:05 PM
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=32

Well I ordered my first tenor as well, I use a lanikai CK-C right now It's pretty good and great sounding to me considering it's the only uke i've ever played lol But I JUST ordered that mahogany tenor It hasn't arrived yet but I did start a thread before I purchased one. That was the one recommended to me :) it looks nice and if you're still undecided when I get it i'll give it a few plays and tell you what I thought of it.

phanzo
10-27-2009, 02:25 PM

take a deep breath and listen to what people are saying haha...fall in love with a mainland :)

:agree: I was super-impulsive when I was shopping for my 2nd uke and it ended with a OU-5 and me, back on the forums, two months later, shopping for a new uke.

Take a breath, take your time, buy what's right for you, not just what's available right this second.

EucalyptusMint
10-27-2009, 03:02 PM
...that koa one does look beautiful though...

Can't go wrong with a mainland

Kirshach
10-28-2009, 10:10 AM

Well, you're right... but at the moment I still like Kamoa the most :)