Looking for a hand made uke in the UK.

benjiboy

Reaction score
Hello there...I'm looking to find a hand made Uke in the UK. Can anyone recommend someone, preferably in the south of England. And what sort of price would a tenor uke go from...my budget will be about £300.
Thx in advance.
Benji B:)

I agree, Pete is a superb craftsman and luthier and his builds are worth the cost. Another option is Makapili and the instruments are hand built in Italy. See this thread for more info. Worth the look.

£300 is unlikely to get you a hand made uke, if by that you mean a uke built by an individual craftsman builder. However, £300 will get you a very nice uke built by Chinese craftsmen (also using their hands) in a modern factory.

I'm not trying to be "smart" - just realistic.

Ukantor.

Edited to add:- Beware of guitar makers trying their hands at making the occasional uke. Guitars and ukes are not as similar as some seem to think.

Last edited:
i pmed you a guy that contacted me, haven't seen any of his work yet though ask him for some pictures/ sound clips or vids of his builds.

Pete Howlett's your guy. He does acoustic, cutaway acoustic, electric, kits, all koa acoustic and burr drop tops for his electric or uklectic: http://petehowlettukulele.co.uk/
its hard to buy but well worth it.

Top Bottom