PDA

View Full Version : Nylon Strung Mountain Dulcimer

cornfedgroove
10-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Sooooooo I've had this box in mind for a dulcimer for a long time...it's got a scratch on the back from the shop's razor blade when they open the plastic so I'm just making this one to keep. I am torn between a traditionally strung steel string dulcimer and one strung with nylons. Its a 19 inch scale so it'll tune CFG???...uh, I hope. I just thought nylons might make a neat classical dulcimer sound, but then again maybe traditional would be best.

opinions on this in general???

thoughts on tunings at this scale using DBE

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Better luck here:

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/index.php?sid=cf0a333d48620ae581cc21f84c9c8cd4

cornfedgroove
10-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Better luck here:

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/discuss/index.php?sid=cf0a333d48620ae581cc21f84c9c8cd4

nah, this forum is cooler haha...plus its in a guitar format on a baritone scale. Maybe I should go show em what I'm making, but not all music cultures are as flexible and accepting as the ukulele. I guess I'll have to just see.

I figured tuning wise though, a ukulele is like a capo on the guitar's 5th fret...I'll use the DGB strings and go GDG. that b string can stretch from e--->g

michaeljking
10-27-2009, 10:45 PM
I have made nylon strung Stick dulcimers that I have been very pleased with, I did find that the sound of all plain/unwound strings worked better for me, so for example I used the top 3 strings of a guitar to get a gdg tuning rather than the Dad tuning using the guitar 4th, 3rd and 2nd or 1st, but maybe thats due to the limitations of the small stick body...
experiment, record some video/audio for youtube,

mwalimu
10-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I guess it could work, but I have a hard time imagining it would.

dave g
10-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Warning - thread drift!

Sometimes I think about making a fairly normal looking "mountain" dulcimer with a few modifications: The fret board would stop well short of the strumming area, and be cantilevered out over it. So a large section of the soundboard would not have that big hunk of wood running down the middle. There would be a tall floating bridge (almost as tall as a violin, I suppose). I'm thinking you'd get a lot more sound out of it this way. Probably been done already...

(My first 17 stringed instruments were dulcimers (made around 30-35 years ago). )

cornfedgroove
10-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Warning - thread drift!

Sometimes I think about making a fairly normal looking "mountain" dulcimer with a few modifications: The fret board would stop well short of the strumming area, and be cantilevered out over it. So a large section of the soundboard would not have that big hunk of wood running down the middle. There would be a tall floating bridge (almost as tall as a violin, I suppose). I'm thinking you'd get a lot more sound out of it this way. Probably been done already...

(My first 17 stringed instruments were dulcimers (made around 30-35 years ago). )

well you live in columbus with Ron Ewing...you ever go check out his shop? real nice guy, and his capo is the MD standard. You got any pictures of those dulcimers? I think you definitely ought to give that design a try.

http://ronewingdulcimers.com/

I'm just making a cigar box dulcimer in a guitar format...I like them that way. I found today that I will take the dgb baritone strings and string her up. I'll have to get an extra b string, but oh well. Its gonna be sweet. I know this is the uke forum and that people dont really care, but this things gonna be great. Its a thin bodied box so the acoustic volume will not be so large, but its gonna sound sweet as pie through an amp.

cornfedgroove
10-31-2009, 08:11 AM
this is what she looks like so far...been dinking around with my thumb up my butt waiting for strings to come.

Made the bridge and rounded the neck. I know the tuners are all same-sided, but I like it that way...its looks rougher. I took some gold tuners, sanded em down, stained them and then poly'd them. I still gotta do the electronics, reinforce and seal the box...but I'm waiting on strings.

erich@muttcrew.net
10-31-2009, 10:02 AM
The fret board would stop well short of the strumming area... So a large section of the soundboard would not have that big hunk of wood running down the middle.

Good point - I had the same concern and looked around for ideas in dulcimer design. I don't like stick dulcimers - just not my idea of what a dulcimer should look and sound like. Another way of "freeing up the soundboard" that I found is to cut "bridge arches" in the bottom of the fretboard and thus reduce the contact area between fretboard and soundboard. Obviously, the bracing and other design elements have to be synchronized with this design. We're working on a dulcimer with a "bridged fretboard" right now.

cornfedgroove
10-31-2009, 05:17 PM
bah, stick dulcimers are cool..."how a dulcimer is supposed to sound" is all subjective, even to the point of how a person plays. Shoot, you could badmouth Robert Force for playing all kinds "rock-like" bar chords.

Granted, most people think Strumstick...I think they are kinda lame, but in general the idea of a stick dulcimer doesnt make it bad. Obviously they dont have the large, full body of a traditional, but I actually really like the ones I've made.

erich@muttcrew.net
10-31-2009, 11:20 PM
... in general the idea of a stick dulcimer doesnt make it bad.

I never said stick dulcimers were bad, I said it just wasn't my idea of how the dulcimer should look or sound. Isn't it clear enough that that is my personal opinion of what I prefer? Do I have to tag everything for you? :confused:

I give up.

cornfedgroove
11-01-2009, 03:58 AM
I never said stick dulcimers were bad, I said it just wasn't my idea of how the dulcimer should look or sound. Isn't it clear enough that that is my personal opinion of what I prefer? Do I have to tag everything for you? :confused:

I give up.

Uhhh...is it not clear enough that my response is a plainly stated personal preference as well. I'm not confused, but I think you're a little sensitive and unnecessarily rude.

I wasnt being defensive or emotional...despite you posting on my stick dulcimer thread that stick dulcimers arent your idea of how they "should look or sound". It was a little out of place, but I just took your preference and ran with it...speaking in general terms. There are traditionalists that are against adding frets, playing chords, even using picks...you can talk preference all day, we know that. It wasnt a statement directed against you anymore than what you said about stick dulcimers was a statement directed against me...at least until your 2nd response, which I will forget you said, and move on.

erich@muttcrew.net
11-01-2009, 10:14 AM
I am not really interested in discussing this whole issue. My original response was to Dave's idea of how to free up the soundboard (i.e. lessen the contact length between fretboard and soundboard) and I just suggested a way of doing that. If you feel that my opinion on stick dulcimers was out of place, I apologize for hurting your feelings. That's it.

cornfedgroove
11-01-2009, 11:16 AM
haha, classic.

I'll accept it, but thats all

cornfedgroove
11-09-2009, 03:50 AM
Finished it a while ago, but never managed to get pictures

strung with baritone worths, DAD

Matt Clara
11-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Finished it a while ago, but never managed to get pictures

strung with baritone worths, DAD