Newbie Problem balancing uke when playing

MichaelAngelo

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been playing guitar for a month and now i've decided to the uke a try.

Now, here's the thing with guitar I can leave the neck unsupported to change chords and it won't go anywhere. With the uke, I feel like I'm juggling.

Here's a specific problem I'm having: changing from G to Em or barred D. G is really south on the fretboard and the uke rests in the bottom of the curve b/w my palm and index. Now when I change chords, it needs to rest just below my thumb.

Even if I try playing G with the uke resting just below my thumb, it constantly slips down and down towards the bottom of the curve.

This happens both standing and sitting.... in general it's really awkward to me!

What am I doing wrong?

I feel your pain, that's why I put strap buttons on all my ukes

I've been playing for 2 days. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. When changing chords, the neck becomes unsupported which means the whole uke drops a little which messes up my rythm and everything else.

Looking forward to suggestions on this.

Rich

Maybe try playing G as a 4232 (barring 2nd fret with index, ring finger on G 4th fret, middle finger on E, 3rd fret) or the normal way 0232 (but barring the 2nd fret on CEA string with index, middle on E, 3rd fret).

That way you can go to Em by using the middle finger as an 'anchor', or in the case of a barred D, just slide the index and remove the other fingers.

Brilliant! Iwas playing G like I do on the guitar and losing control of the neck becuase of having to reposition the thumb. Thanks!

Rich

Maybe try playing G as a 4232 (barring 2nd fret with index, ring finger on G 4th fret, middle finger on E, 3rd fret) or the normal way 0232 (but barring the 2nd fret on CEA string with index, middle on E, 3rd fret).

That way you can go to Em by using the middle finger as an 'anchor', or in the case of a barred D, just slide the index and remove the other fingers.

Excellent!!!! I was or should I say am having the same problem and this G works quite well!!!
Mucho Mahalos!!!:D:D

I never thought I'd have to learn to juggle to play the Ukulele. I was wrong.

It's especially bad with Tenor Ukes as they're bigger, heavier, and more neck heavy. The lighter Sopranos can usually be held by bracing it against your body just using your right forearm, which puts your picking fingers right where they're supposed to be. I can't do that with mine, so I resorted to buying a strap. I installed a strap button on the bottom of the Uke, and bought a simple Mandolin strap which ties around the headstock, under the strings right against the nut. It's not perfect, but it was the right size and it was cheap.

I've been playing for 2 days. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. When changing chords, the neck becomes unsupported which means the whole uke drops a little which messes up my rythm and everything else.

Looking forward to suggestions on this.

Rich

I've been playing for two months. I tried everything: uke thong, homemade crocheted strap. I finally broke down and got a strap button installed at the tail (bridge) end of both my Makala and my Kala Kiwi and put on mandolin straps on both. Everything feels MUCH more secure now!

CountryMouse

If you guys are having a hard time figuring out how to hold your ukes, :) there is another site I use that pretty much explains this.

http://liveukulele.com/lessons/for-beginners/

Basically, Soprano hold it against your chest, Tenor if you're sitting let it rest on your lap, and Concert somewhere in between there.

I never thought I'd have to learn to juggle to play the Ukulele. I was wrong.

It's especially bad with Tenor Ukes as they're bigger, heavier, and more neck heavy. The lighter Sopranos can usually be held by bracing it against your body just using your right forearm, which puts your picking fingers right where they're supposed to be. I can't do that with mine, so I resorted to buying a strap. I installed a strap button on the bottom of the Uke, and bought a simple Mandolin strap which ties around the headstock, under the strings right against the nut. It's not perfect, but it was the right size and it was cheap.

Yeah i had this problem slightly, but as I have a sop, it was much easier just to press it against me with my strumming arm.

If you guys are having a hard time figuring out how to hold your ukes, :) there is another site I use that pretty much explains this.

http://liveukulele.com/lessons/for-beginners/

Basically, Soprano hold it against your chest, Tenor if you're sitting let it rest on your lap, and Concert somewhere in between there.

Heh, I guess I've been playing for so long I didn't realize I hold certain Ukes a specific way. When I'm sitting, I'll place the curve of the Tenor's body on my leg and if I'm playing a Soprano, I place the base of the body on my leg. Unsure about Concert and Baritone. Haha.

I think i'm missing the boat entirely. It seems impossible to me to hold my soprano up against my chest with JUST pressure from my forearm while still having my hand free to strum =S .... as all the help sites for beginners seem to suggest

I think i'm missing the boat entirely. It seems impossible to me to hold my soprano up against my chest with JUST pressure from my forearm while still having my hand free to strum =S .... as all the help sites for beginners seem to suggest

It'll come. Honest. I've been playing a concert for over a year and a half. I sit while I play or else use a uke thong. I don't play enough to hold it while I stand. I seem to be able to hold a soprano uke whilst standing though. Don't worry. It'll come.:D

Top Bottom