Oh my god

Uke.

Reaction score
Yes, another "which ukulele should I buy?" thread.

Hi, I'm Alex, and I'm 15. I play guitar, piano and drums, and I want to learn Uke. I'm going to get one for Christmas, and I was thinking about a Mahalo Les Paul Electric. I'd quite like something I can plug in, and it's pretty cheap and sexy. My question is, should I buy a tenor ukulele or soprano? I have big hands, and I'm probably going to be doing more picking than strumming.

I realise the tenor has less of a "uke sound" and more of a guitar sound, but if the soprano isn't going to be good for picking, then I'd rather get it. I also like how it's louder and has a fuller tone.

SO, if any of you think the Mahalo could be a good first buy, or a soprano in general, please say so. However, I'm leaning more towards buying a tenor and have no idea what to get.

I want something semi-decent, but spending a max of $150.
If there's one with a built in pick up that's awesome, and I fall for looks. As long as it's kala, or some good brand I'll be happy. I can push that budget higher, and just chip in on my present.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Welcome to UU!! I would probably steer you away from the Mahalo Les Paul. They are a great novelty item...but lacks in tonal qualities. I would instead recommend this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Kala-KA-TE-Mahogany-Tenor-Ukulele-Acous-elec_W0QQitemZ330371930337QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cebb398e1#ht_2201wt_945

Pretty much anything from MGM would be a good value. He is a member here, and is highly respected. More importantly...he will make sure it is set up properly before he sends it to you. Good luck in your quest.

:agree:

Yup. KP speaks the truth.

You might live to regret a novelty Mahalo bought in haste, but you won't go wrong with a Kala from MGM. The KA-TE may not have that faux electric guitar vibe, but it's a real, decent entry-level uke that will make real music.

Yes, another "which ukulele should I buy?" thread.

Hi, I'm Alex, and I'm 15. I play guitar, piano and drums, and I want to learn Uke. I'm going to get one for Christmas, and I was thinking about a Mahalo Les Paul Electric. I'd quite like something I can plug in, and it's pretty cheap and sexy. My question is, should I buy a tenor ukulele or soprano? I have big hands, and I'm probably going to be doing more picking than strumming.

:) why not get a Concert? it's pretty much in the middle of a Tenor and a Soprano I believe.

I realise the tenor has less of a "uke sound" and more of a guitar sound, but if the soprano isn't going to be good for picking, then I'd rather get it. I also like how it's louder and has a fuller tone.

I would say it's around the middle but it's all preference :)

SO, if any of you think the Mahalo could be a good first buy, or a soprano in general, please say so. However, I'm leaning more towards buying a tenor and have no idea what to get.

I would say only because it is my first uke a Lanikai they're not "to" expensive and I don't have problems with mine and I think it sounds nice but again just me.

I want something semi-decent, but spending a max of $150.
If there's one with a built in pick up that's awesome, and I fall for looks. As long as it's kala, or some good brand I'll be happy. I can push that budget higher, and just chip in on my present.

If you're just learning I would say stick with the cheaper end of the spectrum but still good. Mainly because you don't want your expensive pretty uke scuffed up because you're still learning how to play. The lanikai concert I have was around 200 bucks and I love it.Lanikai CK-C if you're interested, or like the guys say MGM is a really good guy so anything from him is golden.

Thanks for the advice guys, MGM does have some good stuff going.

My big question is still soprano, concert, or tenor? :|

Thanks!

A tenor is easier for finger picking for sure and coming from Guitar it might be easier for you to learn on.

But theres a lot of us that finger pick a Soprano too.

As far as a Tenor being louder yes normaly, my KoAloha Soprano is quite abit louder than a couple of my Tenors are, wood, strings, bracing and sound hole have a lot to do with the volume of a uke.

I would say go with the Kala KA-TE that was linked.
I have 2 of the non electric versions and they sound good, play well and are laminates so when you fall in love with the Uke you can get better ones and you have a good beater to take places with you.

That's not really an option at the moment, but eventually I would like to own at least one of each.

Maybe the concert is a good inbetween for now, I'm not keen on how the tenor sounds a lot like a guitar.

I'm not keen on how the tenor sounds a lot like a guitar.

Tenors can be strung high G or low G. A high G Tenor will still sound a lot more Uke-ish than guitar-ish.

Last edited:
Alright I'm pretty sure I'll go for a concert. The soprano seems to fiddly, and bad for picking. I think I'll get a concert and see where I go from there. Any recommendations?

Sorry to be such a pain.

EDIT: http://www.ukuleleworld.com/product.php?productid=19505&manufacturerid=185&cat=0&page=1

-Looks so nice, and I hear good things about Ohana, within my price range too, could be the one!

Nice choice I think you'll like the concert. I don't know much about Ohana, but MGM has a nice selection of Concerts cheap to, you can e-mail him your questions if you find a few concerts you like.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room__W0QQ_sidZ34517586QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14?_pgn=2

Top Bottom