PDA

View Full Version : Getting tired of the ukulele...

specialmike
10-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm starting to lose interest... can somebody please respark my relationship with my ukulele?! :anyone:

ChamorroDT
10-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Just look at it...:D

Uh...don't play it for a while? Maybe a week - then you'll start to miss it perhaps.

DeG
10-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Sweet, can I have your KoAloha??

hoosierhiver
10-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm starting to lose interest... can somebody please respark my relationship with my ukulele?! :anyone:

Maybe you just need a new song or even try out a new genre.
Maybe some Motown or maybe some ska.

UKISOCIETY
10-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Time to buy a new uke. Sell the old one and get another model you've had your eye on...!!

anaka
10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
James Hill had (has?) the same problem ... which is how he started chopsticking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3WTZ-_YBE#t=1m56s (see 1:56)

When we were at the Wine Country Uke Festival, James also played a song on uke while simultaneously doing a super complicated foot-tapping accompaniment. He said getting the timing down had him occupied for months.

Ukulele JJ
10-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Find a group of local ukers to get together and play with.
Learn a new song.
Figure out a new song by ear.
Teach someone else a song or technique.
Write a song.
Buy a new uke book or DVD.
Find an open mike and sign up.
Go busking.
Learn some (or more) music theory.
Embark on a high-concept YouTube challenge. Like doing a vid of every song on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Or 26 songs, each starting with a different letter of the alphabet. Or one song done 8 different ways. Or the entire Top 40 Billboard chart for the third week of 1997. Or... you get the idea. :D
Go learn to play some other instrument for awhile.

JJ

haolejohn
10-27-2009, 04:35 PM

So I'll take either your mainland or your koAloha...seriously mike I'll even pay for them? Maybe you should get your fiance interested in it. Or take a small break. I took about seven years off between learning my first 4 chords and finding UU.

Susie A
10-27-2009, 04:44 PM
So I'll take either your mainland or your koAloha...seriously mike I'll even pay for them? Maybe you should get your fiance interested in it. Or take a small break. I took about seven years off between learning my first 4 chords and finding UU.

step away from th koAloha!

Hey Mike,
Let's talk BEFORE that dog poops on it :p

Ahnko Honu
10-27-2009, 04:52 PM

If this don't work nothing will...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3639/3482794471_f2bb87e0a1_o.jpg

DeG
10-27-2009, 04:52 PM
So I'll take .... your koAloha....

Back off! I got dibs! :D

Mike, quit feeling sorry for yourself. I think your just stressed out about other things, maybe the aforementioned fiance or the dog poop.:) Your uke is pressure valve, use it to release your pressures...

Mariska Hargitay

(Sorry, I got a serious Love Guru vibe while typing that) :)

DeG
10-27-2009, 04:54 PM

I stand corrected. Ahnko is the true Love Guru.

seeso
10-27-2009, 04:56 PM

Maybe some time away is what you need.

bbycrts
10-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Wow. Ms. Post 609 has escaped from the Post Whore thread! Give her back! She's ours!

ukuleG
10-27-2009, 04:57 PM
that photo is probably the best ever taken. :drool:

haolejohn
10-27-2009, 04:58 PM

Ahh famous Post # 609.

DeG- I'll let you have dibs on the KoAloha since you don't have one yet. Maybe I wanted it to Deach you:)

Susie A
10-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Ahh famous Post # 609.

DeG- I'll let you have dibs on the KoAloha since you don't have one yet. Maybe I wanted it to Deach you:)

::::tapping on screen:::::

h e l l o!

ummm ... ladies first:D

ukuleG
10-27-2009, 05:02 PM
oh this thread isn't about boobs :confused:. anyway give it a rest for a week or so and i'm sure your be craving to play it, you can't get away from the uke.

uke552
10-27-2009, 05:12 PM
"Ahh famous Post # 609"

WoW, I have a re-newed interest in the uke (and I was not tired of it)...

Like others stated above, take a break from it. Then remember how you felt when you first heard or played one. My 2 cents....I hope this feeling parts soon for 'ya.

DeG
10-27-2009, 05:16 PM
::::tapping on screen:::::

h e l l o!

ummm ... ladies first:D

John, Susie is right. #609 should have the KoAloha...:D

haolejohn
10-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Ohh DeG you crack me up. I almost peed my pants.

Mike see what joy your uke brings all of us... You are too good of a player. Stop your whining and suck it up. Remember UU at night!!!!!!!!!

Susie A
10-27-2009, 05:41 PM

LMAO ... wait ... let me go look @ the rules to see if I can call you that name

SuperSecretBETA
10-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I agree with taking some time away from it. I did that for a couple months or so. You'll find your way back to it eventually.

Spooner
10-27-2009, 06:04 PM
One thing you should ask yourself is what made you get into the uke in the first place.
There was something that made you take that first step.

I had no intention of being a ukulele player. I went to Hawaii and had to pick up an uke since I am a musician. I figured I would learn it a bit and have a real instrument from Hawaii but keep it more as a souvenir.

Little did I know that it would totally consume me. I stopped playing all of my other instruments and I have been playing guitar/bass/keys for over 20 years.

I fell in love with the sound of the ukulele but I fell in love with Hawaii beforehand. When I left Hawaii I felt "homesick"...and still do. I never felt that before. I also never felt like I have found the "missing piece of the puzzle." For me the love of the two go hand in hand.

Every time I pick up the uke it brings me back to Hawaii. Every note I play on the ukulele sounds like love. It brings me peace. It makes me feel whole.

While at times it can be a little frustrating not having the same skill level on the ukulele that I have on the other instruments that I play...it's not a competition and I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I play the ukulele because it is a part of my soul..so deeply ingrained in me now that I can not picture life without it.

I picked up the uke out of nostalgia but I play it because it is a part of who I am. It was a part of me without me ever knowing it. It took a trip to Hawaii to discover that.

The supple curves of the body...the smallness of it from top to bottom...the angelic tones that emanate from within that fill the air...the beauty and mystique of the wood and building process...the way it calls to me...the way it brings me back to Hawaii...all of these things keep me a very happy ukulele player.

Sometimes I have to take a break from it when old "war injuries" kick up but I am always knee deep in it one way or the other.

So ask yourself what it was that made you get into it...and then revisit those reasons. Reintroduce yourself. Stay in the basics. If you haven't been to Hawaii...GO THERE! Take some time away from tutorials, YT videos, the internet and just take some time to get to know your fret board....get to know your ukulele. It's not just some hunk of wood. It is a living breathing thing and can tell you things that you never dreamed of...once you get "in tune" with it.
Playing the ukulele is a deep, personal and spiritual experience; not to mention how much fun it is.
When you make the ukulele a part of your soul and you connect with it on a spiritual level...you will NEVER lose interest again.

I hope that helps.

thejumpingflea
10-27-2009, 06:06 PM
One thing you should ask yourself is what made you get into the uke in the first place.

I had no intention of being a ukulele player. I went to Hawaii and had to pick up an uke since I am a musician. I figured I would learn it a bit and have a real instrument from Hawaii but keep it more as a souvenir.

Little did I know that it would totally consume me. I stopped playing all of my other instruments and I have been playing guitar/bass/keys for over 20 years.

I fell in love with the sound of the ukulele but I fell in love with Hawaii beforehand. When I left Hawaii I felt "homesick"...and still do. I never felt that before. I also never felt like I have found the "missing piece of the puzzle." For me the love of the two go hand in hand.

Every time I pick up the uke it brings me back to Hawaii. Every note I play on the ukulele sounds like love. It brings me peace. It makes me feel whole.

While at times it can be a little frustrating not having the same skill level on the ukulele that I have on the other instruments that I play...it's not a competition and I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I play the ukulele because it is a part of my soul..so deeply ingrained in me now that I can not picture life without it.

I picked up the uke out of nostalgia but I play it because it is a part of who I am. It was a part of me without me ever knowing it. It took a trip to Hawaii to discover that.

The supple curves of the body...the smallness of it from top to bottom...the angelic tones that emanate from within that fill the air...the beauty and mystique of the wood and building process...the way it calls to me...the way it brings me back to Hawaii...all of these things keep me a very happy ukulele player.

Sometimes I have to take a break from it when old "war injuries" kick up but I am always knee deep in it one way or the other.

So ask yourself what it was that made you get into it...and then revisit those reasons. Reintroduce yourself. Stay in the basics. If you haven't been to Hawaii...GO THERE! Take some time away from tutorials, YT videos, the internet and just take some time to get to know your fret board....get to know your ukulele. It's not just some hunk of wood. It is a living breathing thing and can tell you things that you never dreamed of...once you get "in tune" with it.
Playing the ukulele is a deep, personal and spiritual experience; not to mention how much fun it is.
When you make the ukulele a part of your soul and you connect with it on a spiritual level...you will NEVER lose interest again.

I hope that helps.

Wow, what a great post.

This is entirely true as well. When I went to Hawaii for the first time it was unreal. It sparked my interest beyond what I could ever imagine and have been playing even more since the trip.

cornfedgroove
10-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Time to buy a new uke. Sell the old one and get another model you've had your eye on...!!

Uki models at least half of this philosophy well...that dude is a hoarder!

God bless him:bowdown:

sukie
10-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Spooner, you win SFPOD with that post. That was excellent!

What I can't believe is that post #609 wormed it's way in here.:eek:

Spooner
10-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Wow, what a great post.

This is entirely true as well. When I went to Hawaii for the first time it was unreal. It sparked my interest beyond what I could ever imagine and have been playing even more since the trip.

Spooner, you win SFPOD with that post. That was excellent!

What I can't believe is that post #609 wormed it's way in here.:eek:

Thanks guys. :shaka:

I appreciate that.

Now...what's this SFPOD?

thejumpingflea
10-27-2009, 06:39 PM

I appreciate that.

Now...what's this SFPOD?

Super Fuc- errr Fudging Post of the Day?

Spooner
10-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Super Fuc- errr Fudging Post of the Day?

:biglaugh:

I accept this honor with great pride. :)

seeso
10-27-2009, 06:55 PM

I appreciate that.

Now...what's this SFPOD?

Sukie's Favorite Post of the Day!

grappler
10-27-2009, 06:59 PM

I hope that helps.

wow unbelievable!! Thanks for this insight.

Wagster
10-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Man, check this thread out...

Mike posts one msg, then you have 4 PAGES (so far) of people fighting over his ukes, philosophising and offering advice more suited to a man contemplating divorce. (You know he's just screwing with your head)

um... carry on...

Teek
10-27-2009, 08:49 PM
I figured Mike was just messing with everyone too, but I am actually in the same position for real. My ukes are calling me but their voices are faint, even my fave baby's.

I am working a lot right now and I had another job for awhile was 50 hours a week that aggravated my CTS and was killer hours for almost no pay that I had to quit. Not soon enough though, so now I'm taking aspirin at my other work so I can keep typing because of the wrist pain. I still have 2 jobs, and they both have ramped up, but at least they are less stressful in all ways.

So thanks Spooner for an awesome post, and the rest of you who've been there and got through it, you made me realize it isn't the ukes or that I've lost the joy, I'm just tired and sore. :(

camface
10-27-2009, 09:22 PM

How will that help him get back in love with the uke?

EDIT: Oh, just saw the ukulele...

Ahnko Honu
10-27-2009, 10:28 PM
get another model you've had your eye on...!!

Did you mean your model #609? :drool:

sukie
10-28-2009, 02:48 AM
#609 is starting to get more postings than Michael Douglas. I ask -- Is that fair?

haolejohn
10-28-2009, 03:10 AM
#609 is starting to get more postings than michael douglas. I ask -- is that fair?

jfpod:)....

specialmike
10-28-2009, 03:14 AM
Mike posts one msg, then you have 4 PAGES (so far) of people fighting over his ukes, philosophising and offering advice more suited to a man contemplating divorce. (You know he's just screwing with your head)

Yeah... not screwing around. I don't feel the same enthusiasm anymore when I pick up my uke. Not very sure why... Spooner's post is very helpful! Don't know what will allow me to go to Hawaii though... Just can't seem to ... bring myself to play for more than half an hour anymore. I probably just need to learn something new... but I don't know... My guitar Gently weeps isn't keeping my interest right now though. :(

And Denise Milani (#609)is rather convincing. The problem here is that it reinforced my interest in her...just not necessarily with an ukulele. :D

RevWill
10-28-2009, 03:25 AM
I want your Mainland soprano!

No, seriously - try learning some stuff in a different style. I've been working on playing "Love You To" from Revolver as an instrumental and having a blast. Arranging some fingerstyle hymns also helps pique my interest. For me it really is the challenge of learning something new that keeps me going. A couple of years ago when I went through what you are going through I did the smart thing: I didn't sell my ukes. But looking back, I realize that Gently Weeps, Somewhere Over the Rainbow and I'll See You In My Dreams over and over and over did not constitute being in love with the instrument and I had allowed myself to get into a rut.

Always remember: falling in love is easy. Staying in love takes work.

seeso
10-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Always remember: falling in love is easy. Staying in love takes work.

Yeah, but forcing love is wrong.

RevWill
10-28-2009, 03:49 AM

Yeah, there's a nasty sounding word for that.

I'm talking about rekindling the passion. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

My wife and I have found that we have to be intentional about going on dates without the kids, to lose a bit of sleep after the kids have gone to bed, and to do little things like running errands together alone in order to keep our romantic feelings at a consistently higher level.

Same goes for the uke or any musical instrument (I say this as a guitarist of 30 years). Times I've thought I fell out of love with the instrument are really times that I allowed myself to get into a rut - not learning new songs or styles, and letting myself play the same old stuff the same old way day in and day out.

Some things you might try:

learning a new song
Learning some fancy jazz chords
Jamming with another musician
Public performances
Buy an old beater and try to bring it back to life

Captain_Lovehandles
10-28-2009, 03:51 AM
Mike if you're serious about reviving your uke love. Grab BunnyFlower and her alleged friend and set up outside the Tate Center to play a few songs. Open the case and try to top Citrus' $.15 in tips. Take videos for the SE Ukers Youtube channel. If you don't find this fun in the least, then it's time for a short break.

If so, decide in advance how long a break to take. Take all of it, and then play at least one hour. Then see what you think.

seeso
10-28-2009, 04:03 AM
Yeah, there's a nasty sounding word for that.

I'm talking about rekindling the passion. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

You were clear and you were (hopefully) helpful. I'm kinda just playing devil's advocate here, but not disingenuously.

If Mike needs to step away for awhile, he should. Maybe it's just what he needs. If he feels like he's missing it, he'll go back to the uke.

hoosierhiver
10-28-2009, 04:22 AM
Maybe building a CBU would help.

UkuleleHill
10-28-2009, 04:31 AM
#609 is starting to get more postings than Michael Douglas. I ask -- Is that fair?

Here Sukie click my signature or here you go:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff84/zoie47/Misc/Movie%20and%20books/MichaelDouglas.jpg

ukulelezo
10-28-2009, 04:38 AM
If Mike needs to step away for awhile, he should. Maybe it's just what he needs. If he feels like he's missing it, he'll go back to the uke.

I agree with Seeso. There is no shame in taking a break.

Sometimes I love it and sometimes I need to leave it alone.

haolejohn
10-28-2009, 05:05 AM

Great point and I like playing devil's advocate as well...Can you really force love upon someone or something that doesn't love back? Can you really love something that has no feelings and can't really love back???

haolejohn
10-28-2009, 05:11 AM
I want your Mainland soprano!

I already got dibs on the mainland. DeG beat me to the KoAloha but that is ok. Mainland soprano is a nice second prize.

bunnyflower
10-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Mike if you're serious about reviving your uke love. Grab BunnyFlower and her alleged friend and set up outside the Tate Center to play a few songs. Open the case and try to top Citrus' $.15 in tips. Take videos for the SE Ukers Youtube channel. If you don't find this fun in the least, then it's time for a short break.

If so, decide in advance how long a break to take. Take all of it, and then play at least one hour. Then see what you think.

I would totally be up for this! Pretty sure Natsumi would be too.... If you want to take a break, that's okay too. I am interested in playing together whenever you come back. :)

I also had an idea for a local project- I will PM you about it...

*hugs!*

haole
10-28-2009, 06:10 AM
In the 10-12 years I've been playing guitar, I tend to get bored with it a lot and hit walls. So I find a weird alternate tuning and all of a sudden it's a completely different instrument! Give different tunings a shot.

buddhuu
10-28-2009, 06:42 AM
For me the best thing to keep me interested is playing with other people. It's the best motivator for learning and practising I ever found.

Music is good when you play it alone, but when you play with other people... it's like nothing else.

If you already play with other people then do it more! Or find some new people to play with.

If you only play alone, join in or start a jam or something.

[/ :2cents: ]

freedive135
10-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Just can't seem to ... bring myself to play for more than half an hour anymore. I probably just need to learn something new... but I don't know... My guitar Gently weeps isn't keeping my interest right now though. :(

I was in the same boat this spring.... I have reach a stale level playin the same songs. Alot of it was being busy with work not letting me work on getting better and just losing intrest.
I started learning the Guitar and now I notice I play my Ukes more to. It's a release for me when I am getting frustated with the Guitar.

As others have said learn something new on the Uke.
I am having to learn the notes on the fretboard of the Guitar for my lessons and that is something we never did in my Uke lessons so now I am working on that for the Uke too.

Something else that might help is try to remember what made you want to play in the first place.

Lobster_Johnson
10-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Its like asking what do you want out of life. I think you have to decide how important it is to you and what you want out of it. I’m guessing it is important to you otherwise you wouldn’t have gotten as good as you have already. In which case set some goals and work towards them! Speaking from the point of view of someone who has watched your youtube videos, it would be a shame for someone with your ability to stop.

mailman
10-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Find a really enthusiastic beginner and teach them to play. You can catch their enthusiasm, and they get the benefit of your skill and experience.

I hereby volunteer for beginner duty....:D

Tsani
10-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Hang in there, Mike. What keeps me going is practicing music that I'm not quite good enough to do. Try playing John King's classical material. When you master that - then you can say you are bored.

Playscool39
10-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Just take your time. If you don't feel playing the uke, don't. Forcing yourself isn't the way. Give it a rest for a while, when the time is there you'll pick up your uke again. Like finding a long lost love...

GrumpyCoyote
10-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I agree with Seeso. There is no shame in taking a break.

Sometimes I love it and sometimes I need to leave it alone.

That's about the size of it for me too... It always calls me back eventually.

The other thing that helps me is to play other instruments for a while - or even just listen to new music. That usually ends in me picking my uke back up.

Note that I don't do any of the above with the intention of "rekindling" my uke playing - it just happens.

Don't over-think it, just take a break and do something else. Ignore the thing for a while. I'd be surprised if you weren't right back at it shortly, without any agenda on the issue.

molokinirum
10-28-2009, 12:01 PM

:agree::agree::agree:
OMG!!!!!

ukuleG
10-28-2009, 12:03 PM
OH she has a ukulele in her hands. :rolleyes:

sukie
10-28-2009, 12:08 PM
OH she has a ukulele in her hands. :rolleyes:

:rofl:That seems to be the post #609 affect.

mailman
10-28-2009, 12:12 PM
She has hands? :eek:

specialmike
10-28-2009, 04:24 PM
She has hands? :eek:

i know, right? Just look at those ... things ABOVE her hands!!! :drool:

DeG
10-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I was going to frame that picture and put it on my night stand, but my wife did not like the idea. Women! Sheez! :D

specialmike
10-28-2009, 06:06 PM
I was going to frame that picture and put it on my night stand, but my wife did not like the idea. Women! Sheez! :D

I'm with you DeG. I thought about changing my wallpaper on my comp to that... but I dont' think Amy (fiance) would enjoy that.

thejumpingflea
10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Buy some new strings. Strings you've never tried before.

That always gets me wanting to play. How is the uke going to change with the different set up?

Citrus
10-28-2009, 06:27 PM
well, I can't quite recall what you normally play, but doing something way out in left field would be good, generally when people play uke they don't play mortal kombat, so that's my recommendation
http://sites.google.com/site/lemontabs/power-tabs/MortalKombat!.ptb?attredirects=0&d=1

I usually learn one or two instrumentals a week and that + dom's in my life are what I've done this week, of course now I'm stuck again and looking for some more really fast stuff or maybe slow and beautiful, not too sure. I just saw a couple people down at acoustic night that made me jealous and I'm not sure what to do.... I need someone to play with

austin1
10-28-2009, 06:39 PM

I don't know what you guys are talking about, all I notice when I look at this is the lovely ocean, it's so blue. Also, she has nice hair. Plus, just look at that sky!

kissing
10-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Works every time :D

Pippin
10-28-2009, 09:17 PM
609 somehow reminds me of Goodyear.

To the OP...

Taking a break is a good thing, on occasion.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Go learn to play some other instrument for awhile.

JJ

good advice, i play the piano now... helped me pick the ukulele back up.