Kala-ASMC or Lanikai LSM-C

jonbalakin

Reaction score
Kala-ASMC or Lanikai LSM-C--- Love 'em both!!! Any opinions, feedback, bias thoughts on the two??? For the amount I can afford, I definitely want a solid wood, and they both are solid Mahogany. Dream of solid Koa, but will wait for down the road...

Lemme know your thoughts!!! Buying in 2 weeks, can't wait, and I can't stop playing both when I visit music shop!!!

First off welcome to UU
Now in the end its gonna come down to ur personal preference, this can be which sound u prefer, the look, and the playability. Personally I would go with the lanikai because it has a gloss finish, which i prefer. Play each one as long as you can, and if u cant chose, go with the one u think is prettier.

In addition to the gloss finish, LSM-C also has an ebony fretobard. And the tuners on the LSM are superb. I'd go for it. Its a bit more expensive, but not much more.

Have you seen the LCD-C? Or the Sloid Koa topped NK-C ?

I have seen them, but about $100 over what I can afford... Like the feedback on the Lanikai!

Kala-ASMC or Lanikai LSM-C--- Love 'em both!!! Any opinions, feedback, bias thoughts on the two??? For the amount I can afford, I definitely want a solid wood, and they both are solid Mahogany. Dream of solid Koa, but will wait for down the road...

Lemme know your thoughts!!! Buying in 2 weeks, can't wait, and I can't stop playing both when I visit music shop!!!
you are in the exact same boat as me.. honestly

I am leaning towards the LSM-C myself based on looks(ebony and lack of binding). I can only find a few videos of it though...one being berean315's and this is the other: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfnAp3QLeEQ

I have owned 2 Kalas and they both exceeded my expectations in sound and quality control.

From the info I gathered, the Lanikai is quieter due to their bracing.

I've had the LSM-C for several years and like it a lot. I agree that it probably will not be as loud as the KALA though. I like the tone on the Lanikai, the gloss finish, ebony finger board and tuners. Don't have any background on the KALA, so can't add anything except that KALA ukes seem popular, and sound pretty good. I think either one will serve you well. I would definitely replace the GHS strings on the Lanikai with Aquila strings if it comes with GHS. Worth clear strings wouldn't be bad either.

I saw your reviews on youtube, and would have to say that you sold me!!! Loved the sound! Loved the look! Will replace strings! Thanks, and I can't wait to put in my order!

I'm happy with mine. You said you played both, what was your impression of the two?

Very similar... Happy with both sounds... Very new to Uke's so hard to really say... Started music with dj equipment and vinyl... Not experienced with stringed acoustic instruments... Would have to say like both, will get Lanikai, and as I get experienced with 'Ukes, will know more about the differences in warmth, tones, etc... Just need 1 to start, and very picky! Must have solid and only solid instruments!

Top Bottom