Ukulele iPhone apps??

Hogger

Reaction score
I have been doing some searching for uke apps for my new iPhone, and wondering if any of you can point me towards some good ones. I have UkeTune which is a good tuning app, and FretBoard which I'm still trying to figure out.
Any other good ones.

I like UkeChords a lot. It shows you chord diagrams. Ukulele is kind of fun, even though it sounds more like steel drums than ukulele strings. It is kind of like a toy uke (it doesn't look like a toy though), and you strum over different rows to make various chords.

I didn't really like Ukulele San much.

–Lori

I've only tried Ukechords & Ukefingers. Both are chord chart apps. I like Ukefingers a lttle better, mainly because it has 3 Ukulele tunings and you can see 3 cords at a time. You can't sound the cords though.

I've only tried Ukechords & Ukefingers. Both are chord chart apps. I like Ukefingers a lttle better, mainly because it has 3 Ukulele tunings and you can see 3 cords at a time. You can't sound the cords though.

UkuFingers is a program I actually helped develop!

It is a wonderful program that really shows you how to play all variations of any chord. It is a great tool for any level of ukulele player. I'd recommend everyone check it out.

GuitarToolkit is $10, but totally worth it. Shows all chord inversions as well as scales up and down the fretboard. You choose whether it shows you the intervals, note names, or suggested fingerings. It has a tuner and a really good metronome. There's even a mode where you put in a fingering and it tells you what chord you're playing. It comes pre-loaded with C and D tunings, both re-entrant and low G/A, but you can add custom tunings that then work with the chord and scale finders.

An app called MiSonata: Ukulele Edition was released a few days ago. Not many reviews yet, but apparently they "partnered with KoAloha" on the sound of the virtual instrument. For $1.99, I suppose I could be tempted. My only concern would be that their "patent-pending tablature system" might not be applicable to playing in the Real World.

Ukulele Chord Kumu is decent. It has a tuner and chord diagrams, I have used it several times while traveling.

UkeMaster is quite good. It has a number of really nice features.

I just checked out Ukufingers---it looks great!

Last edited:
UkuFingers is a program I actually helped develop!

It is a wonderful program that really shows you how to play all variations of any chord. It is a great tool for any level of ukulele player. I'd recommend everyone check it out.

$4 though...really!? Should I REALLY check it out for that kind of money??

(Matt, if you would like to PM a redemption code, I would be MORE than happy to check it out ;) )

Last edited:
lol well I guess if one could REALLY not afford a uke, but happened to have an Iphone xD

I tried Ukulele-san.
Didn't like it.. couldn't figure out how it worked

The two I use most are Ukulele San, and miSonota. miSonota is great, but they need to disable the sleep timer in the phone.
DO NOT get Ukulele Tutor.

Wow. Seems like you guys got miSonata fast. The app was written by one of our former part timers. He and his partners are doing full time iPhone apps. What's cool about miSonata is they took sound clips from a KoAloha. We got to see the progress of the app along the way and it was really cool to see it as it evolved. I just talked to Ryan, the developer. He said that the next update will include bug fixes, such as the sleep timer issue. Eventually, we'll be adding different sound clips from each instrument in our line. It won't be like holding the real thing, but you can get an idea of what each model sounds like if you don't live within driving distance of a store with physical product.

While not strictly a uke app, I just got one called MySongbook. It lets you import songs in chordpro format (or download them from chordie.com), and displays them nicely on your phone. You can also configure it for ukulele, so when you tap on a chord name in the song, it will display the uke chord fingering. It also has a nice autoscroll feature to scroll through the display so you can play along easily. Its not perfect, but for 2 bucks, it's a nice way to keep chords and lyrics for lots and lots of songs handy in your phone (instead of the pilies and piles I've been printing out lately!).

- Jill

GuitarToolkit has a pretty chromatic tuner. Ive also been hearing good things about Peterson's Strobe tuner app "iStroboSoft".

miSonata definately looks like fun. will need to get more itunes credit to check it out.

Wow. Seems like you guys got miSonata fast. The app was written by one of our former part timers. He and his partners are doing full time iPhone apps. What's cool about miSonata is they took sound clips from a KoAloha. We got to see the progress of the app along the way and it was really cool to see it as it evolved. I just talked to Ryan, the developer. He said that the next update will include bug fixes, such as the sleep timer issue. Eventually, we'll be adding different sound clips from each instrument in our line. It won't be like holding the real thing, but you can get an idea of what each model sounds like if you don't live within driving distance of a store with physical product.

I downloaded miSonata and it looks neat, but I haven't been able to make it do anything. Their instructions are kind of gibberish (at least to me), and there doesn't seem to be any help online. So far it's been a waste of time. Any thing I'm missing? (Guess so)

Top Bottom