Starting a class

berylbite

Reaction score
Mobile, Alabama, USA. We get all of the Hurricanes
Some of my friends are suggesting I create an ukulele playing class at my college. I would enjoy spreading the love of the instrument, but fear the amount of dedication and organization it would take. Anyone have any experience with this?

Yeah, just do it; it is very satisfying to do this sort of thing. I started a ukulele club in my town and even though it costs me some time to prepare, and effort while we have our meeting, the satisfaction I get from seeing people having a good time and being grateful for learning something new is worth a lot.

Start off with some easy songs like, "He's got the whole world", "Tom Dooley" and then "Jambalaya" and see what happens.

I bought a DVD this year and printed off chord charts along with some easy nursery rhymes and children songs. I teach the kids how to do chords and we go from there. It is up to them to practice and I can't really give 1-on-1 b/c of numbers and time restraints. I absolutely love doing it though.

I agree that you should do it! Even if you do what Mike said and just print off some easy chords you are still teaching, and as you go you can teach other things. Get the interest up and tell them about this site. Soon enough the group will run itself!

Does it have to be a "class"? Maybe just think of it as a "club". Less pressure... more collaborative. Get people to bring in stuff, take turns "leading", etc.

JJ

Top Bottom