Recording Set-up

jonbalakin

Reaction score
How do you all record into your computer for Youtube or other sorts of media to get your music to the public? Home Studio? What gear? Etc? And by the way, addicted to this website, and I don't even own a 'Uke yet! Wife calls me obsessed, I say Inspired! 2 weeks, will have 'Uke! Awwwww... I know patience, but can't get mind of it!!!

Anyways, tell me your set up! I have IMac, Logic, Garageband, Axiom 49, Turntables, soon to have Lanikia LSM and Snowball Mic...

I use a Tascam US-122L USB Interface with the Pickup of my ukulele, alternatively with a Beyerdynamic TG-X58 microfone...
I edit sound with Audacity (freeware).

I went to school for recording and am therefore a bit of a gear snob. For audio recording (not for YT videos), I use:

Digi003 interface running Pro Tools 8.0
AKG C 451 B around where the neck meets the body
Blue Blueberry about 1-2 feet out from the body

The Digi003 doesn't have the best mic pres but, for what I'm doing, they work well. Here's a pic of my little home studio...

Click

When I'm doing YouTube videos, I get lazy and just use iMovie with the built-in webcam and mic.

I am on the opposite side of the spectrum- I am a beginner and don't have much of anything! I just use my regular digital camera. It has a video-recording function, and seems to do a pretty good job.

Someday I'll have fancy stuff! ;)

Depends on how much you're willing to spend at what quality.
The world of sound recording quality is endless, and the best option for you does depend on the budget.

For the purposes of Youtube, you don't have to spend that much.
You could just use a webcam and a decent computer microphone.
If you don't want to end up spending lots on USB interfaces and pre-amps, you could settle for USB Condenser microphones like the Samson C01U.

I personally use that microphone and upload the videos without any sound effects added.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeK9QGSAPO4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc8p_tNY0sc

Last edited:
I went to school for recording and am therefore a bit of a gear snob. For audio recording (not for YT videos), I use:

Digi003 interface running Pro Tools 8.0
AKG C 451 B around where the neck meets the body
Blue Blueberry about 1-2 feet out from the body

The Digi003 doesn't have the best mic pres but, for what I'm doing, they work well. Here's a pic of my little home studio...

Click

When I'm doing YouTube videos, I get lazy and just use iMovie with the built-in webcam and mic.

Wow. Just...wow. Too bad I wouldn't know how to work ANY of those things. I do plan on taking some classes for those kind of things though :D

I have an M-Audio mic - it gets the job done. I need a pop filter though for real cause MAN...those plosives annoy me greatly.

I started out the same way. iMovie on my MacBook, with the built-in camera and mic.

Then I got a Blue Snowball for an external mic, which makes a noticable difference. Still using the built-in cam though.

For multi-tracked videos, I'll fire up Garageband. Nothin' fancy.

JJ

Top Bottom