PDA

View Full Version : Talk me down, UAS brothers and sisters!

mailman
10-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Why, oh why, do I even look at eBay ads? It only gets me into trouble!

Right now I'm poised to bid on a nice looking vintage uke that....

a) I want, but I don't need (yeah, right!)

b) is a soprano, although I prefer concerts

c) will probably sell for more than I currently think it will

d) will definitely get me into major trouble with the household's CFO

Help me resist temptation! Show me the way to uke temperance! Convince me that I should abstain!

Oh, crap. I think I'm headed for trouble.... :rolleyes:

existence
10-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Don't do it, man!

(unless you really want to that is)

ukumele
10-28-2009, 01:14 PM
DO IT!!!! I mean....wait 24 hours .......and THEN DO IT!!!!!! :D(I just got my new Pineapple Sunday from MGM...so I am no help)

NewMexicoDawG
10-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Do it Do It I mean dont do it I mean yes u should OmG just buy the thing loL:D

mailman
10-28-2009, 01:22 PM
You guys are pillars of strength! I've got two "Do it"s and a wishy-washy "don't do it unless you want to"! :D

Can we spell co-dependent?

:rofl:

sukie
10-28-2009, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't do it. Just sayin'..........

haolejohn
10-28-2009, 02:31 PM
How long you been married?

Are the consequences worth it?

ukeshale
10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
is it a certain banjolele looking vintage uke??? :uhoh:

Raygf
10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Why, oh why, do I even look at eBay ads? It only gets me into trouble!
Right now I'm poised to bid on a nice looking vintage uke that....
a) I want, but I don't need (yeah, right!)
b) is a soprano, although I prefer concerts
c) will probably sell for more than I currently think it will
d) will definitely get me into major trouble with the household's CFO
Help me resist temptation! Show me the way to uke temperance! Convince me that I should abstain!
Oh, crap. I think I'm headed for trouble.... :rolleyes:

Come on Mailman. Don't do it. It's a soprano, you like concerts, it will probably sell for more than you currently think it will, you don't need it and the CFO thing will cause major strife. Go play one of your ukes and stay away from eBay.

Yeah, like my telling you this is going to help. You are headed for trouble. Resistance is futile. :D

JT_Ukes
10-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Did you do it?

hoosierhiver
10-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Jump! Jump! Jump!

KC8AFW
10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
C'mon, mailman...think of that poor vintage uke. If you don't get it, it will probably end up in the hands of someone who doesn't appreciate it for what it truly is. They'll probably hang it on a wall somewhere instead of appreciating the beautiful sounds that only can be achieved once an instrument has had a few decades to open up.

...did that help?

cornfedgroove
10-28-2009, 02:55 PM
legit...forget that dumb uke. If you're gonna get in trouble, make it worth it!

you must be an amateur:) I mean that in a funny way

the rest of this thread should be dedicated to the instruction of what the rules of engagement are and then how and when you can break them appropriately.

what you need to do is begin planting the idea in your spouse's mind...bring it up occasionally and talk as if you are going to sell something in order to save the money.

Then keep planting it in their mind while you tuck away a little money here and a little there without selling anything.

whether you sell your stuff or not, the idea is that eventually you'll come to the point where they know you want it and they know you've been saving...she'll finally tell you to just go ahead and get it and BINGO!

mailman
10-28-2009, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't do it. Just sayin'..........

The voice of reason. Okay. I won't bid (at least, not yet). Maybe I'll just click "Watch this Auction". It can't hurt just to watch, right?

mailman
10-28-2009, 03:06 PM

This time? Thirteen years. You know....I'm not sure if the consequences would be worth it (she was really steamed last time....)

mailman
10-28-2009, 03:07 PM
is it a certain banjolele looking vintage uke??? :uhoh:

Nope. Not a banjolele.

mailman
10-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Did you do it?

No....but it's killin' me! :D

mailman
10-28-2009, 03:09 PM
C'mon, mailman...think of that poor vintage uke. If you don't get it, it will probably end up in the hands of someone who doesn't appreciate it for what it truly is. They'll probably hang it on a wall somewhere instead of appreciating the beautiful sounds that only can be achieved once an instrument has had a few decades to open up.

...did that help?

Oh, yeah....big help YOU are! :D

mailman
10-28-2009, 03:10 PM
legit...forget that dumb uke. If you're gonna get in trouble, make it worth it!

you must be an amateur:) I mean that in a funny way

the rest of this thread should be dedicated to the instruction of what the rules of engagement are and then how and when you can break them appropriately.

what you need to do is begin planting the idea in your spouse's mind...bring it up occasionally and talk as if you are going to sell something in order to save the money.

Then keep planting it in their mind while you tuck away a little money here and a little there without selling anything.

whether you sell your stuff or not, the idea is that eventually you'll come to the point where they know you want it and they know you've been saving...she'll finally tell you to just go ahead and get it and BINGO!

I like the concept, but this is an eBay auction. Time is of the essence!

Lori
10-28-2009, 03:14 PM
It's best not to look, and stay out of trouble. To help you I will give you some good reasons not to buy it.

1. It's old... who knows what faults it might have.
2. You can't play it in person, to check out the playability or sound.
3. It's a soprano... too small for your usual tastes.
4. Can you trust the buyer? If it's MGM, I would trust him, but I would have to be awfully sure if it was someone else, and it involved a lot of money.
5. If you do manage to resist it, make sure you let your wife know that it's because you love her so much, and try to earn points for not buying every uke that catches your eye.

–Lori

mailman
10-28-2009, 03:18 PM
It's best not to look, and stay out of trouble. To help you I will give you some good reasons not to buy it.

1. It's old... who knows what faults it might have.
2. You can't play it in person, to check out the playability or sound.
3. It's a soprano... too small for your usual tastes.
4. Can you trust the buyer? If it's MGM, I would trust him, but I would have to be awfully sure if it was someone else, and it involved a lot of money.
5. If you do manage to resist it, make sure you let your wife know that it's because you love her so much, and try to earn points for not buying every uke that catches your eye.

–Lori

Ohh, you are GOOD! I feel a little strength of willpower returning....

I did say a little, right? I know! I'll check the auction in the morning, and if the price is still reasonable, I'll maybe throw out just a little, itty-bitty, low-ball bid....you know, less than I'm sure it's worth. That'd be OK, right? ;)

mangorockfish
10-28-2009, 03:34 PM
It's easier to get forgiveness than to get permission. Go for it big boy!:D

cornfedgroove
10-28-2009, 03:40 PM
you could stop clicking on the ebay page...

dont be a sucker...she was pissed last time. Do you think this is gonna be any different...she's just gonna be even more angry.

My philosophy on life:

We all have crap in our lives we have to deal with, and we all have crap we dont have to deal with. So...

DONT DO IT

sukie
10-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I know you really don't want us to talk you out of this -- but I've decided it was a call for help! :-)

Are you sure you want to do it? Is the wrath of the spouse worth it long term? Just for an ukulele you really, really don't need?
Just sayin'

mds725
10-28-2009, 04:04 PM
1. Post the URL to the auction in this thread.
2. Someone from this forum buys the item, so you can't.
3. Problem solved. :-)

NewMexicoDawG
10-28-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm no help my UAS is kicking in right as I type this but I would advise not to do it LoL save up and get the concert u have always wanted like a BIG K ukulele:D

Mr. Miyagi
10-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Maybe she won't notice!:D ... "O, that old thing... I've had that a while!... errr...yeah.... ;)

bbycrts
10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
The voice of reason. Okay. I won't bid (at least, not yet). Maybe I'll just click "Watch this Auction". It can't hurt just to watch, right?

I've done it. Several times. Okay, maybe even more than several. Regretted it every single time. I also prefer concerts - I've been through a bunch of sopranos that just didn't feel right once they were in my hands. Seriously - I see in your sig that you have your UAS on for an Earnest Tululele - every purchase you make now puts you further away from that.

mailman
10-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks,one and all. Whether you realize it or not your comments have helped me resist this UAS attack. Just posting and monitoring this thread last night kept me busy enough to stay off of eBay. This morning was too busy to log on, and then worked all day.

There's still just over 4 hours left until the auction ends, but I think I've got it whipped (for now). The current bid is still quite reasonable, but I'm going to try not to even venture in....

Gotta keep telling myself, "Don't need it, probably wouldn't play it much, don't really prefer sopranos, don't need the hassle at home, probably ought to save the $$ to put toward some other uke, maybe I can stash even half of what I would have been willing to bid on this one toward....oh, I don't know....maybe a Mainland mahogany concert!"

Thanks again! UAS is a strange and evil thing.... ;)

mailman
10-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Just in case you're curious. I still think the current bid is a good buy....but who knows what'll happen in the last few minutes?

Can't help but think it'd be cool to have a vintage Martin, a vintage Gibson, and a vintage Gretsch. But that's not reality talking, that's UAS talking....

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-GRETSCH-UKULELE-BOUND-TOP-W-PERIOD-CASE_W0QQitemZ270475147394QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3ef9933882

ukecantdothat
10-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Jump! Jump! Jump!
:agree: :agree: :agree:

sukie
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
DON'T DO IT!!! As you, yourself, said in a different thread -- the couch is lonely. Ok, I paraphrased that I think, but you KNOW what I mean.:D

CountryMouse
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
You've held out this long, you can hold out all the way!

I have a sheepdip brother-in-law who spends money without telling my sister, money that was supposed to go for bills or groceries. Don't be like dumbo!!

CountryMouse

haolejohn
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
This time? Thirteen years. You know....I'm not sure if the consequences would be worth it (she was really steamed last time....)

I like my ukuleles. I LOVE my wife.

sukie
10-29-2009, 12:28 PM

DING...DING...DING...Good answer!!!

This also is SFPOD

wfwhitson
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Will I must be the luckest SOB on the UU, I have 8 ukes, and just told my wife I am looking at another one.

Responce:

Oh, when are you getting it, is it pretty? But there has never been something that she has wanted that I havn't got for her. We tent to spoil each other. Work for us.

Skrik
10-29-2009, 12:40 PM

Look at the household budget. If you can afford the ukulele, and you want it, and the budget allows it, buy it. If the spouse has a problem with that, let it be the spouse's problem.

Skrik
10-29-2009, 12:41 PM

I love my musical instruments; I LEFT my wife. ;)

CountryMouse
10-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Will I must be the luckest SOB on the UU, I have 8 ukes, and just told my wife I am looking at another one.

Responce:

Oh, when are you getting it, is it pretty? But there has never been something that she has wanted that I havn't got for her. We tent to spoil each other. Work for us.

Eeee--nice. You are lucky...and so is she. :)

CountryMouse

Lori
10-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I find the best way to handle this is to determine how much "entertainment" money is available and make sure she gets to buy fun stuff too. As long as she feels fairly treated, then she won't give you as much grief about your hobby. She must like to buy things too... books, DVDs, music, clothes, jewelry, gadgets? A new uke for you, and an iPod for her... everybody's happy!

..just thinking...

And save up for that Mainland!

–Lori

itsme
10-29-2009, 01:16 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-GRETSCH-UKULELE-BOUND-TOP-W-PERIOD-CASE_W0QQitemZ270475147394QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3ef9933882
That thing looks pretty beat up with scratches and dings and the binding is separating. The chipboard case has rips in the finish.

If it were me, I'd save my money to buy something really nice down the line. Especially since it would get you into deep doo-doo with the wife. She'd probably take one look and be doubly ticked because she'll see it as a piece of junk.

Even if you bought it, you're still going to want that Mainland mahogany concert or whatever.

Show her the auction and tell her you were tempted, but decided you're going to start saving your pennies for a nice new uke. Then come up with a plan. If you eat lunch out a lot at work, tell her you're going to start brown bagging it "X" days a week and that it'll save you "X" dollars a week that you're going to put toward your goal.

thisnthat
10-29-2009, 01:25 PM
That thing looks pretty beat up with scratches and dings and the binding is separating. The chipboard case has rips in the finish.

If it were me, I'd save my money to buy something really nice down the line. Especially since it would get you into deep doo-doo with the wife. She'd probably take one look and be doubly ticked because she'll see it as a piece of junk.

Even if you bought it, you're still going to want that Mainland mahogany concert or whatever.
QFT

You won't be entirely happy with it and will just want a replacement further down the line. Really not worth the potential argument with your wife in my opinion.

mailman
10-29-2009, 02:21 PM
A little more than an hour and a half left 'til the auction ends, and I don't plan to bid. Thanks to everybody who offered advice and support.

What I think I'm going to do instead is look toward a more practical uke purchase (thinking Mainland concert, here). I'm going to earmark some $$ for that purchase, and consider it money saved. I won't be able to spring for the new uke right away, but it's a start.

Maybe I should stay away from eBay for a while.....:D

CountryMouse
10-30-2009, 04:15 AM
A little more than an hour and a half left 'til the auction ends, and I don't plan to bid. Thanks to everybody who offered advice and support.

What I think I'm going to do instead is look toward a more practical uke purchase (thinking Mainland concert, here). I'm going to earmark some $$ for that purchase, and consider it money saved. I won't be able to spring for the new uke right away, but it's a start.

Maybe I should stay away from eBay for a while.....:D

That last line: YEAH! hehehehe

I'm hoping for a Mainland, but it's gonna be a couple months or more before I can afford one. You just can't unhinge the household budget for something (thinking about our budget here too), especially if it's iffy.

Also, I can't imagine using money from the joint account without asking my husband. He does all the bills (at my request--I do not want to fool with it); and if I buy something without his knowledge, it's gonna mess up his bill-paying plans and how we're going to get through the month. We each get an "allowance" at the beginning of each month and use that however we want. If it's something beyond that, we discuss it.

eBay can be very tempting; but, yeah, better to stay away. :p

CountryMouse

pondweed
10-30-2009, 04:26 AM
who DID buy it then?
and are they happy...?

bbycrts
10-30-2009, 05:17 AM
DING...DING...DING...Good answer!!!

This also is SFPOD

I didn't know there could be an SFPOD outside the PW thread. The mind reels!

Lori
10-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Good job resisting, Mailman. Really, I don't think you would have had much pleasure from that beat-up uke. It's nice if you are a historical collector type, but for playing and collecting, I would prefer better condition, especially since it is a size you might not play much.

You will have much more fun with a Mainland in a size of your preference.

–Lori