PDA

View Full Version : Table saw died

cornfedgroove
10-28-2009, 03:25 PM
hmm, dont know what happened. It worked yesterday...I put it away and pulled it out again today and bam, its dead. I checked the outlet...it works. I checked the plug and connections...they all look good. I dont know anything about table saws...it does have an overload button, but it doesnt appear to be pressable. The saw never locked up, overloaded or gave me any problems...but today its dead. Any suggestions?

any magical reset?

i am effectively screwed if this thing is dead...or at least back to square one on the budget.

Matt Clara
10-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Over at the wood working forum I joined I hear them talking of replacing capacitors like it's no big deal. www.woodworkingtalk.com/ Another good one with higher traffic is www.woodworking.com/ (http://www.woodworking.com/dcforum/dcboard.pl)

cornfedgroove
10-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm takin it into WoodCraft tomorrow...I'm hoping the like me well enough to help me out:)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Ah Woodcraft....... All the Performax and Jet power tools I have boughten from Woodcraft in the last few years all have the same switch on them. They are not sealed well and get dirt in the contacts. For a while I was replacing switches until I discovered it is very easy to take them apart and clean the crud out. They just snap apart. Every couple of months I find myself cleaning the switch on one of my power tools.

Another thought. Check your breaker at the electrical box.

Harold O.
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
It is amazing how long a decent table saw can last with very little maintenance. Even longer with some minor attention. And yes, there are a lot of places dust can collect.

My trusty old Delta gave out a couple of months ago. It was a direct-drive and the gear between the motor and blade went away. It gave me plenty of warning, so at least I was prepared to get a new saw. My neighbor has it now and will eventually fix it. I now have a Ridgid with granite top. So far so good.

cornfedgroove
10-28-2009, 06:11 PM
so where do I need to open it up for maintenance?

and chuck...you talking about the fuse in the saw? I just flip her over and open up the receptacle box?

Timbuck
10-28-2009, 11:28 PM
The last power tool failure on the Forum, turned out to be a loose fuse clip inside the plug after it had been trodden on.

Sigmund
10-29-2009, 12:27 AM
A sudden death with no obvious trauma sure sounds like sawdust in the switch box.

cornfedgroove
10-31-2009, 05:03 AM
buddy looked her over...toggle went dead.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-31-2009, 06:36 AM
That's what I figured. But it's not really dead, just dirt in the switch box. It's simple to clean. Unplug the saw, remove the screws from the switch, pull the switch free from the table saw housing and pull the switch wires off. There should be two clips on the switch that allows you to separate the switch housing. Inside you'll see a couple of rockers, some contact points and a bunch of sawdust. Clean everything and reassemble. This has happened to all of the switches on equipment I've purchased from Woodcraft. I've thought of sealing them with silicone but it would be a hassle if I ever had to go back in to them. I can remove and clean a switch in about 5 minutes now.
Hope this saves you a trip back to Woodcraft.

Matt Clara
10-31-2009, 08:24 AM
buddy looked her over...toggle went dead.

Well tell your buddy he ows you a new toggle.

;)

cornfedgroove
10-31-2009, 10:20 AM
its not the connections for the toggle...its the switch itself. cleaned out the connectors and he tested it with a meter. even make a temp connection to test it...its just the actual switch. which means I gotta find a place to buy it and wait...blah blah

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-31-2009, 10:25 AM
No, I'm telling you to take the switch itself apart! It's no big deal, just a couple of contact rockers. You've got crud in there making contact between the points impossible.

cornfedgroove
10-31-2009, 11:33 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...i see.

check, if this works...I'll owe you one:)

dave g
10-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Replace it with a switch that can handle the dust...

cornfedgroove
11-02-2009, 05:21 AM

chuck & others...took this apart, but I'm not sure what its supposed to look like. I cant find an exploded view of the actual toggle. I dont know if the back of the switch is supposed to only have one little nubbin coming out or two...it only has one, but looks like it should have a buddy. My guess is it fell out somewhere and its gone

The other thing is that the little piece there fell out when I opened her up so I dont know how its supposed to go back. Obviously there's only 4 ways to do it, but really only one way to even get the switch to function properly unplugged. So I dont think this is the problem, but how is it supposed to go back in.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-02-2009, 05:50 AM
My switch has two of those contact rockers. Do you have three wires coming off the back or two. If you actually did lose a piece then you're kind of stuck. When you lift the rockers out you will see contact points similar to the ignition points you used to see in older cars. These are what need to be cleaned of debris and perhaps refiled a bit.
Anytime you disassemble anything, a switch, a carburetor or a Rolex watch, make sure you do it over a clean surface such as a clean work bench. Your shop floor holds a treasure of missing parts. So many times I've swept up only to find a tiny part I lost six months earlier.
Looks like you'll be calling Woodcraft. Tell them their faulty switches is a known problem and they may replace it for free.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-02-2009, 05:56 AM
I looked at the pics again, they are a bit blurry. How many contact points do you have in the switch housing? It looks like one. And there looks like there's only one contact point on the single rocker you have. If that is so and there are only two wires going to the switch then simply put the rocker into position where the two contacts will meet.

cornfedgroove
11-02-2009, 06:05 AM
two wires coming in back...

looks as if there are 2 ignition points...one on each side.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-02-2009, 07:02 AM
That's real simple then. One half of your switch appears to be a dummy. Put the metal rocker piece into the slot of the switch that has the contact posts. Make sure the two contact "buttons" are facing each other. Assemble the other half of the switch making sure that the movable post (that little finger) is on the correct side with the contacts. Snap it all together, reconnect the wires and stand back!
Disclaimer: I know nothing about how electricity works but I'm pretty successful at taking things apart and putting them back together. Most of the time without too many leftover parts!

cornfedgroove
11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
That's real simple then. One half of your switch appears to be a dummy. Put the metal rocker piece into the slot of the switch that has the contact posts. Make sure the two contact "buttons" are facing each other. Assemble the other half of the switch making sure that the movable post (that little finger) is on the correct side with the contacts. Snap it all together, reconnect the wires and stand back!
Disclaimer: I know nothing about how electricity works but I'm pretty successful at taking things apart and putting them back together. Most of the time without too many leftover parts!

alright...I'll give it a whirl in the morning and let you know. I suppose its possible that the rocker jumped into the dummy half. I'll check it out brudda

mahalo

Harold O.
11-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Or if that doesn't make you feel right (or work), replace the entire switch.

cornfedgroove
11-03-2009, 05:44 AM
she's good to go...I think it was just plugged with dust and when I opened it up, the rocker got displaced. thanks guys...and chuck

back to work

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Count on taking that switch apart every now and then. I've got three machines with those switches but only one of them gives me problems; the one that generates the most dust. I imagine you can seal the switch housing gasket with silicone but that would make any future repair that much harder. But now you know how easy it is to clean. Glad you were able to take care of the problem.