Need a New Web CAM

Dominator

Reaction score
Not sure where this post should go but I'm guessing here is just fine.

I need input from those that use web cams with a PC. Currently, I have a Logitech Communicate STX web cam which has a built in mic. It is not a very good cam and I know from looking back at the open mic footage that it stinks. I want to get a new cam. It won't necessarily have to have a built in mic because Seeso and I did a test last night and using my SP B-1 mic that I use to record mp3s via my mixer into the soundcard appears like it will work great.

So what are some good web cams for PC?
Thanks in advance for the input,

The STX is a lower-end budget webcam. Good for occasional use. Not the best for YouTubing or virtual performances.

249000.jpg

My first choice would be the Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 which is available through Costco.com for $81 shipped (assuming that you're a member). I have the notebook version of this webcam and really like its overall performance.

The Pro 9000 performs better than other cams in low-light conditions but it's always good advice to have a well-illuminated setting. That way, you can get faster frame-rates.

241945.jpg

The built-in microphones for these webcams are horrible for music. You mentioned that you already have a microphone. If you need a USB microphone or a good condenser mic, Costco.com also carries one (Samson) for $110 shipped. For those that don't need a condenser mic, they have a dynamic mic from the same manufacturer for $65 shipped. I haven't yet tried either of these but the dynamic mic is due to arrive sometime next week.

Thanks for the info gents. That one does look pretty good.

Not a member of Cosco but am a member of Sam's Club. They don't carry it though. Some of the local computer stores will probably have it.

Thanks for the info gents. That one does look pretty good.

Not a member of Cosco but am a member of Sam's Club. They don't carry it though. Some of the local computer stores will probably have it.

Fry's has it (at least on their web page). And the Fry's in Roseville has the neat-o train theme. Much better than the ex-Incredible Universe theme of the Natomas Fry's.

Fry's has it (at least on their web page). And the Fry's in Roseville has the neat-o train theme. Much better than the ex-Incredible Universe theme of the Natomas Fry's.

Thanks for the info. I have it on order from Dell for $70 including shipping and tax. The warehouse is in Nevada so I always get my Dell stuff in just a couple of days.

Top Bottom