uh oh UAS is kicking in LoL I need a 12 step

Go to MGM's eBay store and organize it by price, with the most expensive ones first. Show your wife the D'Angelico, the William Kings, the Makanis, custom Kanile'as, etc., and then say "it's a good thing the uke I have my eye on now is only $375." Then buy the koa Fluke.

For the price of a Koa Fluke you could get a solid wood (Koa Top, Mahogany sides and back) made in Hawai'i Keli'i 'ukulele. I personally was considering this route too but upon playing a plain old laminate top plastic fretboard Fluke at half the cost I was impressed, and knew I found my new truck/boat/beach 'ukulele. I few months later I also picked up a Flea. The great sound and playability of the entry level Flea & Fluke belie it's simple construction method and materials. For a "beater" i'd recommend the basic laminate top/plastic fretboard models.
I have read of the Koa tops cracking on these.

Ask for one for your birthday. Or Christmas -- if that's what you celebrate.

For the price of a Koa Fluke you could get a solid wood (Koa Top, Mahogany sides and back) made in Hawai'i Keli'i 'ukulele. I personally was considering this route too but upon playing a plain old laminate top plastic fretboard Fluke at half the cost I was impressed, and knew I found my new truck/boat/beach 'ukulele. I few months later I also picked up a Flea. The great sound and playability of the entry level Flea & Fluke belie it's simple construction method and materials. For a "beater" i'd recommend the basic laminate top/plastic fretboard models.
I have read of the Koa tops cracking on these.

Keli'i makes great instruments, especially for the price. :D

But I can see why the koa top would crack on a Fluke/Flea; the laminate-top ones have a reputation for being really durable, and some folks who opt for the solid koa instead probably assume that it should be able to withstand the same abuse.
The laminate mahogany Flukes and Fleas look really nice and can probably handle a beating more so than the solid koa, if you're into the look of the dark natural wood.

Top Bottom