Tab software for Uke?

spazus_maximus

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a software that can convert guitar tab to Uke tab? Not sure if there is such a thing but man it would be nice;)

JT has one he uses. I will mesage him about this post...

I would think music theory plus an excel spreadsheet with the right formulas could calculate this pretty easily, saying there's someone here that knows both

I would think music theory plus an excel spreadsheet with the right formulas could calculate this pretty easily, saying there's someone here that knows both

Hmmmm.....I might give this a whirl....Im fairly good with excel....Never thought I'd be able to mix my line of work in with the Uke!

Anybody round here good with VB that would be interested in this project?

Last edited:

I happen to know music theory and VB. But I wouldn't tackle that job. :eek:

Trouble is, there's more than just "calculation" involved. The uke doesn't have the range of the guitar*, so you'd have to make artistic choices about what to do with the notes that fall outside that range.

Do you transpose the whole piece? Do you move the out-of-range parts down or up an octave? Do you re-write those parts entirely, trying to maintain as much of the original musical intent, function, and flavor as possible? Do you just skip them?

It's tough to encode that decision-making process into a computer algorithm and have it come out sounding good.

JJ

* Except, perhaps, when thrown.

I happen to know music theory and VB. But I wouldn't tackle that job. :eek:

Trouble is, there's more than just "calculation" involved. The uke doesn't have the range of the guitar*, so you'd have to make artistic choices about what to do with the notes that fall outside that range.

Do you transpose the whole piece? Do you move the out-of-range parts down or up an octave? Do you re-write those parts entirely, trying to maintain as much of the original musical intent, function, and flavor as possible? Do you just skip them?

It's tough to encode that decision-making process into a computer algorithm and have it come out sounding good.

JJ

* Except, perhaps, when thrown.

lol...I just tried using 2 tables of notes.. 1 guitar & 1uke to create a 3rd table using nested if statements........Then I saw your post....& It all clicked ....It would have to be a rather intuitive algorithim to calculate this....Almost like "Artificial Ukulele Intelligence" level......way outta my league!

Cool Thought though!

I've used Guitar Pro for a few songs. You simply click the symbol that is a green check mark (properties of the track [F6]). Change the number of strings to 4, then tune like your uke. I believe the actual tuning is G5 C5 E5 A5, but I may be mistaken. Click ok, it will ask if you want to transpose the notes. Say yes. You may have to do some tweaking, because as people have mentioned, the guitar has a much broader range. Also, it isn't always consistent with the positioning, and what the program chooses isn't always the best way to play it.

I was trying to figure out a way to do it with PowerTab, but so far I have been unsuccessful :(

Top Bottom