Tuning in a key of C#

vcowman

Reaction score
should I just set my tuner to 460 HZ? I suppose then I can use my same chords as C but it will be a half note higher :D

Last edited:
if you can set your tuner to 460Hz, then i would assume that your tuner has a digital display and tells you what note you are playing right? well if so, then there's no need to go that complicated. just add one half tone to the note of each string as you tune it. so instead of GCEA, the 1/2 step up tuning will be G#-C#-F-A#, respectively.

i'm no string expert but maybe you don't want to put more stress on your strings and bridge than intended. perhaps invest in a capo if you want to bring it up a half step or more. they are pretty cheap. i'm thinking about $5.
tuning a half step up isnt going to add that much more pressure. but yeah, using a capo is the better way to do it when transposing upward.

Last edited:
thanks for the help. If i use a capo, i lose a fret yet, thats is not a compromise i am willing to make :D

Well, unless you've got a strong preference for string brand, you could always get a set of A-D-F#-B strings and tune em down a half step

i would take nukedoc's suggestion and just tuning it respectively to those notes (G# C# F A#). My tuner tells how sharp or flat the note is so if your tuner can do that then you just have to make sure it's showing those flats (except for the F). Or, you could do it all by ear and play the first fret of each string and tune it up so it matches. That's what I did with my guitar whenever I tuned the strings down a step.

Top Bottom