Inexpensive ukulele "opening up"/singing

CountryMouse

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right board for this but I'll post here and see. :)

I've heard that solid wood ukuleles begin to open up, sound sweeter, etc. with time and playing, but can this happen to laminate top ukes too??

It seems my Makala MK-S Dolphin is doing this! It sounds louder, sweeter, just lovely! Even when I strum my fingers across it very very lightly in the dead of night, when all is very quiet, it sounds so sweet! I'm lovin' it! :love:

Any others experience this with cheaper ukuleles?

CountryMouse

Changes in weather/climate seem to affect my Flea a tad bit. Sometimes it plays really well and stays in tune for days. But then if the weather starts bouncing around it doesn't seem to settle in quite the same way. It's still very playable and nice sounding, but there is a subtle difference.

Moisture content and tension in wood grains change over time though with a laminate less so since it is stabilized by opposing grains and adhesive but it too to a lesser extent can "open up" over time. I guess in the limited time you've owned your Makala the change is more psychological maybe the peaceful quiet of the night adding to the perception, also new strings, or even your improved skills making this and any instrument under these conditions sound better. ;)

or even your improved skills making this and any instrument under these conditions sound better. ;)

:agree: with better technique comes better sound. It's why we practice so much, and why Aldrine would make a makala sing and I would butcher a kamaka.

Moisture content and tension in wood grains change over time though with a laminate less so since it is stabilized by opposing grains and adhesive but it too to a lesser extent can "open up" over time. I guess in the limited time you've owned your Makala the change is more psychological maybe the peaceful quiet of the night adding to the perception, also new strings, or even your improved skills making this and any instrument under these conditions sound better. ;)

Maybe so, maybe so. I used to have a dulcimer handmade by Homer Ledford that had a yellow poplar top (200-year-old wood from an old cabin) and walnut sides and bottom, and over time it became sweeter.

The strings on the Makala are Aquilas and rarely need adjustment now. I play it a LOT, and it feels like a good friend. So yes, I guess it probably is psychological. But that's a good thing in this case. :)

CountryMouse

Top Bottom