PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried?

mannyukeboy
10-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Well I just got my uke ide say around two monthes ago and as everyone who plays the uke knows it is VERRY addicting but i look at these videos on youtube and its like WOW they are good, but i mean should i be worried about my abililty after two monthes? i kno like every chord and i can finger pick songs and stuff and the songs i can finger pick and actually play are: Hotel California, Canon in D, Paint it black, Come together (The beatles), 1234, and Tears in heaven. But i can pretty much play every song if i have the chords, but i mean im just worried cuz i only have like 3 strum patterns but from another uke players perspective am I moving along good for a 2month player?

deach
10-29-2009, 10:16 AM
There's no deadlines or timelines. Enjoy the ride.

SuperSecretBETA
10-29-2009, 10:19 AM
You're moving along above average I would say. Heck, I've been playing for a little over a year, and my song list repertoire is still less than yours. I'm so caught up in the techniques and theory that I hardly memorized any songs. Just keep it up! :cool:

seeso
10-29-2009, 10:28 AM
There's no deadlines or timelines. Enjoy the ride.

Quoted for truth.

JT_Ukes
10-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Well I just got my uke ide say around two monthes ago and as everyone who plays the uke knows it is VERRY addicting but i look at these videos on youtube and its like WOW they are good, but i mean should i be worried about my abililty after two monthes? i kno like every chord and i can finger pick songs and stuff and the songs i can finger pick and actually play are: Hotel California, Canon in D, Paint it black, Come together (The beatles), 1234, and Tears in heaven. But i can pretty much play every song if i have the chords, but i mean im just worried cuz i only have like 3 strum patterns but from another uke players perspective am I moving along good for a 2month player?

I'm sorry...

we're going to have to let you go.

JT_Ukes
10-29-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm sorry...

we're going to have to let you go.

Just trying to be funny...

welcome to UU

JT

Brewerpaul
10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Main thing is, keep having fun with the uke or any instrument you attempt. After all they call it PLAYING music.
You have the rest of your life to improve your skills. It ain't a destination, it's a journey.

ukantor
10-29-2009, 11:28 AM
Sounds like you are making GREAT progress. There is a tendency to concentrate on learning chords initially, but uke playing is really all about the strumming/picking hand. That's the area to concentrate on now. It will give your playing an extra dimension (or three).

Ukantor.

freedive135
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Sound to me like your comming along nicely...

I wouldn't be overly worried about knowing a bunch of strum patterens... sure if your wanting a song to sound exactly like the CD, if doing one of Aldrines lessons or playing with a group but other wise just strum and chunk what ever patteren that sounds good to you.

And follow Deaches advice.......

ukantor
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
I agree with freedive. You should try to learn strumming techniques, rather than rigid patterns. Once you have the techniques, you can develop your own style.

Ukantor.

haolejohn
10-29-2009, 03:10 PM
I've had an ukulele since september of 2001. Actually a day after 9/11 and you are already better than me. Of course I rarely practice strumming or note making aor any of that stuff. I just play.

UkeNukem
10-29-2009, 03:48 PM
In the words of that great intellectual - Alfred E. Newman

http://mkeamy.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/08/16/alfred_e_neuman.gif

buddhuu
10-29-2009, 11:42 PM
:agree:

Yup. What the guys said.

Relax and enjoy.
Don't worry too much about strumming patterns per se. As your sense of rhythm develops and gets tied to your strumming hand you'll find yourself drifting into whatever ad hoc pattern works for you. If it sounds right then it's good.
Sounds like you're making fine progress anyway. :)