Do strings get thinner?

Brewerpaul

Reaction score
When I put brown Worths on my Lanikai tenor, I allowed for about 3 wraps on the tuning pegs. Each time I play, I have to tune upwards a bit, to the point where now there are 5 or more turns. This got me thinking-- as the strings get stretched more and more, do they get thinner and thinner? Like pulling taffy or a rubber band: the more you pull the thinner they get. Is this why they eventually break?

I have a micrometer that I use in my shop, so next time I change strings I think I'll take an initial measurement and then periodic measurements.

Hi Paul :)

I noticed that ever-increasing windage myself, with all the string brands I've tried. I guess they must decrease in diameter a little, but I've not found it obvious.

Strings do stretch and need to be broken in before getting to its optimal operational range and constant tuning would not be necessary after it reaches that range . Its normal for new strings to stretch before they set. After they are set they don't hardly stretch anymore.

After getting familiar with the string tension, you will have the common sense of how tight is too tight when tuning by ear. Its possible to damage them after the break in producer by going to tight but just use your common sense and good quality strings are pretty durable.

Depending how you play and consistency of your playing the strings tend to get dented our sliced into were they touch the fret markers, especially wounded strings and that is known to be normal wear and tear.

Top Bottom