Old Brass Fretwire

UkéDan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post (if not, please move) but here goes: I've successfully repaired an old Kumalae that I love to play (it's my avatar). The twelfth fret is missing and I'd like to replace it with period fretwire, old brass straight wire (I think it was brass). A complete refret is not an option.

I've been searching for over a year and have been told by many people that the best way to find some old fretwire is buying a thrashed old uke. I haven't had much luck; just tonight I missed out on the only thrashed Kumalae I've ever seen posted on ebay.

Does anybody have a source whereby I could find that elusive twelfth fret? Or any other suggestion?

BTW this Kumalae is amazing: stays in tune for weeks and rings like a bell; intonation is spot on. I play it as much as my new Koaloha concert.

Thanks Schubs, I also found this http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?NameProdHeader=+Fretwire

especially the "FW68" but problem is, the old fretwire was straight and didn't have a crown on top of the tang... So I'm basically looking for something "period authentic"...

That's a nice Kumalae but right now, the asking price is over twice the price I paid for mine. The value is always subjective, but I'd venture to say it's a little overpriced at 469$. Mine's a Model 2 (that one's a model 1) and it usually goes for about 200$ in reasonable condition. But then again, anything goes on ebay....

Great idea dave G. Hadn't even crossed my mind. I'll check into it.

RonS, I think it's bar stock but I'm at the office right now (on MY time, jic). I'll check at home later tonight. But I'm pretty sur it's bar stock. I imagine I could machine a small piece at home?..... After all, the twelth fret doesn't see that much use on a soprano, especially since the fret board is flush with the top.

Also, I know I measured the thickness in the past. I'll check on that, too.

FWIW, my "need" stems from playing the John King version of Sakura; it sound's really sweet on the Koaloha and would on the Kumalae, if the twelfth fret were there.....

UkeDan,
I have a little old brass fretwire. Crown is about .050 wide and .045 tall. It's very soft. Here's a pic. If that works for you, PM me your address and I'd be happy to send you a chunk.

Attachments

• ALA_0033.jpg
    ALA_0033.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 38
two dogs plucking (interesting username) and Sven, I've sent you PMs. Both options look interesting.

Hello Matt , thank you for your reply. My reply has got nothing to do with old brasswire (maybe just a little). I am guessing/reasoning here. It is in the interest of the seller/shop, to send it well insured , and as quick as possible (airmail+delivery to ur door) to you. "Well insured" reduces their risk of you not receiving the goods, and the seller succesfully completes the deal. I will not debate whether that is good or not, but everybody wants their pound of flesh. In my opinion there are also cheaper options available, which admittedly take longer, and if you trust the postal services for doing the job less fast and cheaper, maybe you want to ask the seller if they are prepared to take that option.. it is worth a try? On the other hand if you can get the item posted to you (surface mail/slower option), and the post office informs you to pick it up at their counter, you pay tax. Something you might want to consider (schleppy as well), is that, if the quantity of brass is more then what you need, are there perhaps other interested people you could share the costs with?

Even shipping to Fance from this website is expensive ... Adding the fact that the dollar/euro exchange rate is not at your advantage, I've been ordering all my supplies from the US lately and have it shipped to France with USPS (Latest purchase was a tiny IBEX plane that ended costing me 50% cheaper than if I had bought it in France).

Anyway, I still need to order a few things for my first ukulele building project and if I ever choose to order from luthimate, I can get the fretwire for you and then send it to you in a regular mail envelop.

Top Bottom