PDA

View Full Version : Ingrid Michaelson says "Hello" to UU

UKISOCIETY
10-30-2009, 07:33 AM
IM was in the stations to do a live performance today. I met her after the show and asked her if she knew about UU. She didn't :mad: She was apologetic - perhaps because I was wearing a UU t-shirt - and that she's afraid that she's not a very good ukulele ambassador. I said, "Hey, at least you're playing one." But she says "Hello" to everybody here.

Her uke is a tenor Renaissance. Looks like a cedar top and walnut sides and back. Aquila wound strings. It's a pretty thing!

She didn't want pictures taken because she woke up right before the noon show (it showed, too. She did an awful set!). But I did take a pic of my uke she signed and christened "Ingrid".
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2525/4058854914_6f863f9f23.jpg

deach
10-30-2009, 07:39 AM
That's pretty cool. Make sure you do a search to learn how to protect that autograph.

deach
10-30-2009, 07:39 AM
oh and I like how you customized your dolphin. arrrrr angry dolphin!

UKISOCIETY
10-30-2009, 07:41 AM

Yah, it's lilac colored, but he's growling. RRRRR! IT'S BUTCH!!!! RRRR!

UKISOCIETY
10-30-2009, 07:42 AM
That's pretty cool. Make sure you do a search to learn how to protect that autograph.

I've heard scotch tape is the way to go.

deach
10-30-2009, 07:59 AM

pro'z using packing tape. it really brings out the simulated wood grain finish in most ukes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRG8EgZ6d5c

seeso
10-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Very cool! You get to meet all sorts of celebrities, eh?

UKISOCIETY
10-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Very cool! You get to meet all sorts of celebrities, eh?

Most of the musicians that come in on Fridays (for our sister station) I don't have a clue who they are. The most exciting for me in recent months were (your bud) Zee Avi and Michaelson. I was disappointed in Michaelson's performance.

My favorites though were the classical guys. I got to interview Pierre Boulez for 45 minutes once and interviewed choreographer Paul Taylor. I spent about an hour talking to Peter Schickele (PDQ Bach) a long time ago. He was so nice.

ChamorroDT
10-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Who is Ingrid Michaelson?...

UKISOCIETY
10-30-2009, 08:53 AM

It's a Norwegian beer.

ukulelezo
10-30-2009, 08:54 AM
My favorites though were the classical guys. I got to interview Pierre Boulez for 45 minutes once and interviewed choreographer Paul Taylor. I spent about an hour talking to Peter Schickele (PDQ Bach) a long time ago. He was so nice.

Peter Schickele?! Nice! I'd love to talk to that guy.

I should have sent you some GIGAPUS stickers for Ingrid. :)

UKISOCIETY
10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Peter Schickele?! Nice! I'd love to talk to that guy.

I should have sent you some GIGAPUS stickers for Ingrid. :)

Too right!

This has been a freaky day. Erin McKeown is in the building right now. I'm going to have to ambush her to get her to sign the uke. I love Erin soooo much! I just heard her say she plays ukulele!!

http://meandthee.org/blog/txp/art/171.jpg

CountryMouse
10-30-2009, 09:31 AM
IM was in the stations to do a live performance today. I met her after the show and asked her if she knew about UU. She didn't :mad: She was apologetic - perhaps because I was wearing a UU t-shirt - and that she's afraid that she's not a very good ukulele ambassador. I said, "Hey, at least you're playing one." But she says "Hello" to everybody here.

Her uke is a tenor Renaissance. Looks like a cedar top and walnut sides and back. Aquila wound strings. It's a pretty thing!

She didn't want pictures taken because she woke up right before the noon show (it showed, too. She did an awful set!). But I did take a pic of my uke she signed and christened "Ingrid".
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2525/4058854914_6f863f9f23.jpg

Wow, cool uke! And soooo cool you got her autograph on it! I thought about taking my uke last night for her to autograph (but glad I didn't): it turned out to be anything but an intimate kind of concert, with no autographing out where ordinary folks would be (thinking about the last two concerts I went to at the 20th Century--Jonathan Coulton who sorta just hung out and was very accessible; and Mary Fahl, where they had a table set up for her to sit and sign CDs and such).

Yeah, her show ran really late here in Cincinnati last night. It finished about 11:15pm. Then it's a two-hour drive down to Louisville from here. And that's if they were able to hop immediately into their bus and get straight to sleep when they got there, which doesn't sound probable.

She was very cool and sounded wonderful last night. I'm sorry she didn't sound good this morning. :( Honestly, the show was awesome last night!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Most of the musicians that come in on Fridays (for our sister station) I don't have a clue who they are. The most exciting for me in recent months were (your bud) Zee Avi and Michaelson. I was disappointed in Michaelson's performance.

OMG Peter Schickele! I LOVE PDQ Bach!! Lucky you!

CountryMouse

Ahnko Honu
10-30-2009, 09:36 AM
It's a Norwegian beer.

Almost as good as German Beer ;)
http://blog.cleveland.com/ent_impact_goingout/2008/08/stpauli.jpg

beeejums
10-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Almost as good as German Beer ;)
http://blog.cleveland.com/ent_impact_goingout/2008/08/stpauli.jpg

Almost as good as Post 609.

But I digress.

I like Ingrid. And I wish I'd done something to protect the signature on my one uke... it's faded quite a bit :(

Slap some tape on that sucker.

dirk.li
10-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Did SHE shake your hand, too and how are you going to preserve THAT?

*lol* @ the angry dolphin! Love it.

dirk.li
10-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Almost as good as Post 609.

But I digress.

I like Ingrid. And I wish I'd done something to protect the signature on my one uke... it's faded quite a bit :(

Slap some tape on that sucker.

Strange... I have never seen this type of beer in Germany. Does it say where (which city) it is brewed?

UKISOCIETY
10-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Did SHE shake your hand, too and how are you going to preserve THAT?

*lol* @ the angry dolphin! Love it.

No, she knew better than to get too close to me. ;)

dirk.li
10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Strange... I have never seen this type of beer in Germany. Does it say where (which city) it is brewed?

Ahh, I should have looked it up before asking stupid questions. So for everyone who wants to know:

"St. Pauli Girl beers are brewed and bottled by the St. Pauli Brauerei, which is located within the Beck's brewery in Bremen, Germany. [...] The beer is only produced for export and is not sold in Germany."

I probably don't know ALL types of beer sold in Germany, but I'm sure I would have noticed this one!
Does it taste like Becks, btw?

Matt Clara
10-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Ahh, I should have looked it up before asking stupid questions. So for everyone who wants to know:

"St. Pauli Girl beers are brewed and bottled by the St. Pauli Brauerei, which is located within the Beck's brewery in Bremen, Germany. [...] The beer is only produced for export and is not sold in Germany."

I probably don't know ALL types of beer sold in Germany, but I'm sure I would have noticed this one!

It's a similar style to Becks, but not as flavorful. I think it was crafted to compete with Heineken here in the states, and it's (St. Paulis) a better product, in my opinion.

rayan
10-30-2009, 11:28 AM
I guess 1 page is the limit for staying on topic in UU. :biglaugh:

existence
10-30-2009, 11:39 AM

Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingrid_Michaelson

I didn't know who she was either, had to look her up. Once I get home and can access Youtube I'll check out her music...

Matt Clara
10-30-2009, 01:23 PM
I guess 1 page is the limit for staying on topic in UU. :biglaugh:

I don't think it made it that far before discussion turned to the angry dolphin...

scottie
10-30-2009, 01:36 PM

aaaaahhhh. . . so it's American beer pretending to be German beer?

Ahnko Honu
10-31-2009, 12:07 AM
aaaaahhhh. . . so it's American beer pretending to be German beer?

Nah it's German beer watered down for Budlight lovers. :rolleyes:
I like the label but prefer Beck's Dark. ;)

kissing
10-31-2009, 01:25 AM

That makes no sense to me :(
If its brewed there, why isn't it sold in Germany at all?!
Is it cheaper for overseas companies to have their breweries in Germany?

veep
10-31-2009, 11:07 AM
cool........

Ahnko Honu
10-31-2009, 12:27 PM
That makes no sense to me :(
If its brewed there, why isn't it sold in Germany at all?!
Is it cheaper for overseas companies to have their breweries in Germany?

Cheaper to brew in US for US market. Kirin, Sapporo, and Asahi (Japanese) beers now made in US or Canada and not as good as the stuff made in the old country. I believe Foster's (Oz) beer is also made in North America. I'm sure there's a few more I've missed.

Lanark
11-01-2009, 01:49 AM
I saw a live performance of hers on PBS not so long ago that was pretty good. I also have to say that I do kind of like some of the songs on her "Be OK" disc as well. She's got a really lovely voice and the songs with the most minimal backgrounds seem to work best for me. Less is more for her.

As for beer. I fortunately live in Minnesota. They take beer seriously around this part of the Midwest and we've got plenty of local ones that are on par with anything you'll find anywhere in the world. It's getting colder so it's time to start quaffing some Surly Bender (http://www.surlybrewing.com/index.php) to keep warm.

eerteep
11-01-2009, 02:34 AM

hey alan! i used to work in a sign shop...i had james hill autograph my $24 'mahalo'—he didn't wince or anything!(...i had a gold marker that eventually rubs off, so being a sign guy at the time, i covered that signature with a piece of clear uv-protective vinyl laminate...worked like a charm! (and i'm sure more durable than scotch tape...)
i would highly recommend this stuff—just walk into a neighbourhood signshop and ask for a sample piece, most guys would be happy to oblige(or charge a very minimal amount of cash...)!
cheers!
p.
: )

bunnyflower
11-01-2009, 03:16 AM

Peter Schickele!!! Dude, awesome. I met him once, but just for a few minutes. He is one of my musical heroes! Do you have a recording of your interview?

UKISOCIETY
11-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Peter Schickele!!! Dude, awesome. I met him once, but just for a few minutes. He is one of my musical heroes! Do you have a recording of your interview?

Yes, I've got an old casette and D.A.T. somewhere (it's over 10 years old!). If I can find it, I'll PM you and send you a copy.

a

UKISOCIETY
11-01-2009, 04:13 AM
hey alan! i used to work in a sign shop...i had james hill autograph my $24 'mahalo'—he didn't wince or anything!(...i had a gold marker that eventually rubs off, so being a sign guy at the time, i covered that signature with a piece of clear uv-protective vinyl laminate...worked like a charm! (and i'm sure more durable than scotch tape...)
i would highly recommend this stuff—just walk into a neighbourhood signshop and ask for a sample piece, most guys would be happy to oblige(or charge a very minimal amount of cash...)!
cheers!
p.
: )

Thank you! I'll do just that!

bunnyflower
11-01-2009, 04:14 AM
Yes, I've got an old casette and D.A.T. somewhere (it's over 10 years old!). If I can find it, I'll PM you and send you a copy.

a

That'd be awesome!

Ukulele JJ
11-01-2009, 10:01 AM

As a former fellow Kentuckianaian, it looks oddly familiar to me...

http://cstest.s3.amazonaws.com/college/Louisville.gif

JJ

HaileISela
11-01-2009, 10:39 AM

I was about to say that I never heard of that beer. hmm. strange.