New in Box vs. Floor Model Uke

jonbalakin

Reaction score
Do you think there's a significant difference of buying a floor model uke vs. one new in the box?

Not sure if I'm being Obsessive Compulsive, but I always preferred to buy things that were untouched!

Tell me I'm insane and to go buy the only Uke I've been waiting for!!! Or tell me I'm not!!!

new is nice because you haven't had everyone's snot wiping, greazy hands all over your uke. but then again, all those people playing it could have helped the uke get closer to opening up. as long as it's not damaged, they clean it up, put new strings and the warranty, if any, is still good from the day of purchase, i wouldn't care much.

Word, Deach!

Called the shop... Gentleman is gonna clean it nice and good, throw some Aquila strings, and hopefully get a discount on a digi-tuner and gig bag... I'm going for it... Otherwise, I'll have to wait 4-6 weeks for a new delivery and don't want that... I refuse to also buy online! I can't wait any longer!!!

Can't wait to share with ya'll once my comfort level is to par!!!

j

Word, Deach!

Called the shop... Gentleman is gonna clean it nice and good, throw some Aquila strings, and hopefully get a discount on a digi-tuner and gig bag... I'm going for it... Otherwise, I'll have to wait 4-6 weeks for a new delivery and don't want that... I refuse to also buy online! I can't wait any longer!!!

Can't wait to share with ya'll once my comfort level is to par!!!

j

Now that is the way to go!!:agree: I bought my uke off the floor, they cleaned it up and made a good deal. Better than waiting several weeks! Good luck with your new uke!!:)

I'm on my way out the door to get my first Uke... Decided on the
Lanikai LSM-C. For my price range, and the Ukes I can touch, it was the only solid that felt right!

Thanks all for the feedback!

new is nice because you haven't had everyone's snot wiping, greazy hands all over your uke. but then again, all those people playing it could have helped the uke get closer to opening up. as long as it's not damaged, they clean it up, put new strings and the warranty, if any, is still good from the day of purchase, i wouldn't care much.
deach knows what he's typing about, here. (deach !!! :rolleyes:) Plus, you've played the actual instrument, which is always good when you can do that. All ukes are different, especially wood ukes. If there's a problem with a shipped uke, you gotta send it back and wait all over again.

Feel good about your decision!

As long as the floor model is in good shape with no issues, it should be fine.

Sometimes the music shops pick out the best looking and/or sounding instrument to display in order to attract more people toward that model. When I went shopping for my Kamaka HF-3 in Maui, they brought out their entire stock of HF-3's (about 10 of them) and I played them all. I ended up getting the one they had on display because I felt it had the combination of looks and sound. The shop keeper mentioned that they tend to put the best one up on display, and in this case I agreed.

I'm on my way out the door to get my first Uke... Decided on the
Lanikai LSM-C. For my price range, and the Ukes I can touch, it was the only solid that felt right!

Thanks all for the feedback!

LSM-C-2_lb.gif

new is nice because you haven't had everyone's snot wiping, greazy hands all over your uke.
You owe me a monitor cleaning, dude! That made me laugh so hard that tea shot out of my nose. :p

Plus, you've played the actual instrument, which is always good when you can do that. All ukes are different, especially wood ukes. If there's a problem with a shipped uke, you gotta send it back and wait all over again.
Agreed. With any factory made instrument, there can be variations in quality between the exact same model, such as action, wood grain and even tone.

I think you made the right decision. :)

Bought the 'Uke! It's awesome... They threw in some Aquila's for free! Broke 1 string trying to replace the ones on so I learned my 1st lesson!!! So far sounding good! Amazing the difference of feeling between Aquila's and other strings. They seem softer...

BTW, Cornfed! Love the wrestling sond! I wrote on years back, very similar, but not for Uke... Will have to switch it up and re-write it for the Uke!!!

I'm sooo stoked! Birthday present comes a month early, and no more obsessing of what could be and instead of what is!!!

j

Going for the floor model gives you leverage on price. If they offer to bring out a new one in the box, claim that you're in love with the one you just played and you'd rather not take your chances on one that might've been set up by someone else. ;) Orange Cheetos grime comes off the frets easily enough, and mayo fingerprints aren't usually permanent. If you don't have ukulele OCD, the floor model is the way to go!

Every instrument I buy usually gets a few scratches and dents (or worse!) within the first week I have it, so it's a lot less devastating to buy something that's a little shop-worn.

It's a shame that Guitar Center is cracking down on this and making it harder for folks to negotiate with (already high) prices. The few good shopping experiences I had there all involved picking up something used they got on a trade-in for dealer cost.

Top Bottom