PDA

View Full Version : Psychedelic Uke is done (for now)

Pukulele Pete
10-30-2009, 08:55 AM
I have finished the restoration on my Martin style 1 and I want to show it off.
I bought it on Ebay for 66 bucks. It had eight cracks,a hole, and missing its nut. It also had designs painted all over it. I used polishing compound to get rid of the psychedelic paint designs. I fixed all the cracks, I used those super dooper magnets for clamps. I made a new nut out of buffalo horn.The neck was nice so I didnt touch it except for polish. I sprayed the body with lacquer
and just now finished polishing and put on strings. Sounds nice! I really enjoyed doing all the repairs. Here's before and after pics about a month from now I'll do a little more polishing.

jinny
10-30-2009, 09:14 AM
more pics please. :D

sounds like a lot of work...

how did you fix that hole in the back?

lukuleles
10-30-2009, 09:26 AM
wow! i almost bought that uke. it looks great!

Pukulele Pete
10-30-2009, 09:28 AM
to fix the hole in the back I put the uke on my printer and made a copy of the hole. Then I cut it out and used it as a template and cut a piece of mahogany to fit.

jinny
10-30-2009, 09:33 AM
to fix the hole in the back I put the uke on my printer and made a copy of the hole. Then I cut it out and used it as a template and cut a piece of mahogany to fit.
woah... nice.

I guess that's where the magnets could come in handy.

Pukulele Pete
10-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Besides using the magnets for the hole, I used them to stabilize the crack while the glue dried. One magnet on the inside and a couple on the outside.
It took a while to get the hang of how to use them. They are so strong it is hard to believe. here's a picture of the magnets at work holding a crack.

vahn
10-30-2009, 10:28 AM
awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how does it sound?

Susie A
10-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Sounds nice!

Wow! Great job. Let us hear her! (Please)

uke552
11-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Great job! I would love to hear it. I had been watching that auction too, glad it was bought by someone who did it justice!

dave g
11-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Looks great - good job! :)

(Although I must admit the old painted stuff (what little you showed us) looked kinda cool too. A "period piece", if you will :))

eleuke
11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Excellent restoration work! The second best good thing on this earth next to playing. Be proud. You deserve it.

Pukulele Pete
11-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey....Dave G I know what you mean about the designs. I keep thinking I should have kept them and put a coat of lacquer over it.