Breaking in a new uke

ukumele

Reaction score
I just got my first solid wood uke and I want to treat it right. I have heard people talking about a uke opening up or breaking in.... I know I want this to happen I just dont know how to do it. :)confused:I am not sure if this is the right place to post this kind of question....:confused:)

That's pretty much the consensus. But if you don't have the time to do that, I've heard that putting your instrument in front of an amp or a sub can help to simulate playing and help to break it in too. But it isn't nearly as good as breaking in by actually playing it, because by playing it, you also break in the neck and fingerboard by playing it.

How I understand it is that as you play consistently, the wood loosens up and vibrates easier (and sounds better). I have also heard too that if an instrument sits for years and years it will close up and have to be worn in again (for a shorter time than before). There are several threads along this line already - try a search.

all good advice - same with acoustic guitars - play the hell out of them - gets the soundboard springing and singing, and really opens up and smooths out the sound.

All of that said, I think (without being snobby) that this really only works wonders on solid top instruments, not laminates, but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Cheers

Don't know if this works, but I"ve heard of people placing a guitar or other string instrument in front of their stereo loudspeakers and playing loud music while they're not actually playing the instrument eg while they're away at work.
Supposedly the vibrations from the speakers vibrate the wood and help open up the instrument. OTOH-- playing it has gotta be a lot more fun.

Like Deach said, play the heck out of it! I like to strum movable chords up the fretboard. Try a few different chords which get the top vibrating. Also, practice strumming patterns. You can also do picking exercises that use every single note on your fretboard, this should get the top moving.

Put it over your knee and spank the &#%'($ out of that baby.

Either that, or what deach says and bleeding fingertips. But try spanking before anything less fun to do. It's the vibrations that are important. :nana:

Top Bottom