PDA

View Full Version : Buying a uke

mannyukeboy
10-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi there, I have two ukuleles (Makai soprano, and a Mitchell concert) but i was thinking with christmas rolling around i might ask my parents for another ukulele with me being addicted to it and such. I just wanted to ask what is the price range for a pretty decent ukulele say out of a 10 rating around a 7, because i payed 200 for my concert but idk if i want something that fancy but what brand would you suggest perhaps and a price? (Note: I only would like to have soprano or concert size)

~Thanks :)

hoosierhiver
10-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Upgrade yourself to a solid wood uke. You can get a good solid wood ukulele like you are talking about for between $200 and $300.

Check out some of the reviews in the Ukulele Review section.

Nuprin
10-30-2009, 01:25 PM
As a happy owner of a Mainland soprano, I highly recommend going with a Mainland Uke!

Doc_J
10-30-2009, 03:59 PM
I have a Fluke and a Pono mango sopano. Neither was giving me the sound I wanted. I also wanted a really good quality solid wood instrument. (My Pono has issues.) Then last week I got a great deal on a solid koa super concert Kanile'a from MGM... WoW! Unbelieveable instrument. The tenor scale with concert body really did it for me. Kanile'a really has a fantasic feel (thin neck). I can't express how good the quality of the sound is (deep and rich , complex). And the appearance was flawless, a work of art. Plus, it was made the USA.

Go for the best quality solid wood uke can get. I certainly recommend a Kanile'a.

What ever brand you decide upon, you might want to look at a tenor since you already have a concert and a soprano. Lot's of things to consider.

ritzer012
10-30-2009, 04:19 PM
personally i'm gunning for a mainland mahogany concert with a pickup for christmas :D

leftovermagic84
10-30-2009, 04:34 PM
hoosierhiver is being modest. He's the owner of Mainland Ukuleles, and makes absolutely stellar solid wood ukuleles for the price point. I'm a proud owner of the slotted headstock mahogany and I strongly recommend them.

P.S. the mahogany uke sings with worth brown strings

ainokeato
10-30-2009, 05:11 PM
hoosierhiver is being modest. He's the owner of Mainland Ukuleles, and makes absolutely stellar solid wood ukuleles for the price point. I'm a proud owner of the slotted headstock mahogany and I strongly recommend them.

You're kidding! I just ordered a Mahogany tenor from Mainland. Can't wait for it btw hoosier :) birthday present ftw.

I would suggest mainland all the way out of all of the brands (within my price range) I have yet to hear anything honestly bad about their ukes.