My Three Romanian Horas Arrived Today (pix)

Skrik

Reaction score
They arrived well packed, undamaged, and they slipped through customs untariffed (I suppose that happens from time to time).

15834_100825656608434_100000430009831_19935_2369236_n.jpg

These instruments appear to be nicely made. Solid 1/8" spruce tops; sides, back, and necks that are covered with that brown gloop that Yamaha uses on its cheaper guitars (it looks OK at a short distance); neat fretwork with perfect intonation; rather coarse nuts and saddles; and the tuners are an unknown quantity as yet due to the poor strings.

They all need restringing, and perhaps they need more than that -- the new strings will reveal that -- but at the price I paid, I am as pleased as Punch.

Here's my whole collection:
15834_100825659941767_100000430009831_19936_4884915_n.jpg

I still need a sopranino, concert scale, and banjolele (and bass, I suppose, since they're available).

Congratulations. Interesting ukes. :)

I used to have a Hora-made bouzouki. Construction was very sound and it had a good, thin, well-braced top. Quite loud. I only sold it because I didn't like the lack of back-angle on the neck. The bridge had to be really low.

Romania is starting to turn out some good instruments. My fiddle is a Romanian Gliga. A real bargain.

The Hora baritone and tenor look to have a really guitar-like body shape.

Be interesting to see how they shape up after you've tried new strings etc.

Congratulations. Interesting ukes. :)
Thanks. My day has been a good one.

Be interesting to see how they shape up after you've tried new strings etc.
I'm looking forward to the journey of discovery, myself. I'm going to throw Aquilas on the smaller two, and look around before deciding on the baritone. I suspect that new strings will reveal that the tuners need replacing, but I'll take it slowly and steadily.

Nice to see Hora ukuleles. I have a tenor like yours and it plays really beautifully.
I did put geared tuners on and I changed the nut for a better quality.
Worth strings on mine.
Cheers from Wales.

Beautiful collection! Congrats with the new additions. Lucky you, payed yesterday extra customs tariff for my new Kala Flamed Mahogany.

I'm waiting for the Tenor Kala flamed Mohogony I won from spooner... have a review/opinion on how yours looks, sounda, plays?

JT

Nothing better than a cheap Hora.

Ordered a standard bari from them for 44 euro plus 18 euro shipping to the Netherlands. It's a steal. European made solid spruce top for a ridiculous price. It came with geared tuners, not pegs like in the picture. The strings are horrible, changed them the first day, ended up with Living Waters. I had to lower the saddle a bit, the nut was fine. They also make solid Mahogany and other models, cheap as well.
http://www.hora.ro/other_ethno_instruments.html
(Scroll down)

Top Bottom