few thoughts so far on custom uke... whats these things called??

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day, well after posting with thoughts of next uke, and the mention by a member of going for a custom, got me thinkin, so past week ive kinda been drawing down on paper what i want out of a uke, now before i go sending off what my ideas are, just wanted to know, ive seen a black binding around the ukuleles, is there a special name for it or is it just black binding... heres my ideas so far

-cut away tenor body
-black binding
-a high grade koa either 3-5A
-koa fingure board
-possibly a black ring of some sort around the sound hole
-darkish kind of finish
-head stock????
-inlay designs???

theres are the two im not sure, head stock im thinking either just a plain jane, other is stratocaster style headstock (not a huge fan of cutaway thingy headstocks).... and inlay, i would like something but dont know what to put in.... so any ideas would be great, im sending my ideas with even a rough drawing to a few different luithers who's work i liked alot and see what prices they come back with, also what they can and cant do... anticipateing a wait of around 8-12 months

(deach if your reading this you where right, post 2 of 1000 ;) )

Dude your in college. Save that money for something else:) J/K I thought about getting a custom until I started pricing. Plus I can't justify it with my playing ability.

g'day, well after posting with thoughts of next uke, and the mention by a member of going for a custom, got me thinkin, so past week ive kinda been drawing down on paper what i want out of a uke, now before i go sending off what my ideas are, just wanted to know, ive seen a black binding around the ukuleles, is there a special name for it or is it just black binding... heres my ideas so far

-cut away tenor body
-black binding
-a high grade koa either 3-5A
-koa fingure board
-possibly a black ring of some sort around the sound hole
-darkish kind of finish
-head stock????
-inlay designs???

theres are the two im not sure, head stock im thinking either just a plain jane, other is stratocaster style headstock (not a huge fan of cutaway thingy headstocks).... and inlay, i would like something but dont know what to put in.... so any ideas would be great, im sending my ideas with even a rough drawing to a few different luithers who's work i liked alot and see what prices they come back with, also what they can and cant do... anticipateing a wait of around 8-12 months

(deach if your reading this you where right, post 2 of 1000 ;) )

Find your builder and discuss this stuff with him. I think that's where you're most likely to get what you want...everybody has their own ideas about what they'd like to see - when you find the luthier who clicks with you, I think you'll find their creativity and skill will give you what you want!

Dude your in college. Save that money for something else:)

haha you know they where my first thoughts, but the thing is i dont drink, i dont smoke, dont take drugs so thats where my money would end up going if i did.... its a win win situation ;)..... and by saving $50 a week for what i like to call my "toy fund" meaning i can buy anything i want with it, i got the options of buying a new uke

thanks guys, now i know correct terminology, ive sent a few emails out, will be interested to see who takes me seriously, who replys and who will click.... cheers all

haha you know they where my first thoughts, but the thing is i dont drink, i dont smoke, dont take drugs so thats where my money would end up going if i did.... its a win win situation ;)..... and by saving $50 a week for what i like to call my "toy fund" meaning i can buy anything i want with it, i got the options of buying a new uke

thanks guys, now i know correct terminology, ive sent a few emails out, will be interested to see who takes me seriously, who replys and who will click.... cheers all

I'm glad I went to college after spending 4 years in the Marines and 3 years in Hawaii. I was much more mature and I knew what I wanted to do with my life. I was still broke but that is b/c I chose to live in my own apartment. Good Luck. I want to suggest a builder to you. wai'olu ukuleles. they are made over near Ewa beach and I think the guy used to work for G-String. I want an ukulele with a hawaiian island chain sound hole and their price was very resonable to me.

Top Bottom