PDA

View Full Version : few thoughts so far on custom uke... whats these things called??

keithy351
10-31-2009, 08:00 AM
g'day, well after posting with thoughts of next uke, and the mention by a member of going for a custom, got me thinkin, so past week ive kinda been drawing down on paper what i want out of a uke, now before i go sending off what my ideas are, just wanted to know, ive seen a black binding around the ukuleles, is there a special name for it or is it just black binding... heres my ideas so far

-cut away tenor body
-black binding
-a high grade koa either 3-5A
-koa fingure board
-possibly a black ring of some sort around the sound hole
-darkish kind of finish
-head stock????
-inlay designs???

theres are the two im not sure, head stock im thinking either just a plain jane, other is stratocaster style headstock (not a huge fan of cutaway thingy headstocks).... and inlay, i would like something but dont know what to put in.... so any ideas would be great, im sending my ideas with even a rough drawing to a few different luithers who's work i liked alot and see what prices they come back with, also what they can and cant do... anticipateing a wait of around 8-12 months

(deach if your reading this you where right, post 2 of 1000 ;) )

haolejohn
10-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Dude your in college. Save that money for something else:) J/K I thought about getting a custom until I started pricing. Plus I can't justify it with my playing ability.

Ukulele Jim
10-31-2009, 08:16 AM
It's called a binding.

haolejohn
10-31-2009, 08:34 AM
It's called a binding.

Yep and more than likely ebnony.

bbycrts
10-31-2009, 09:26 AM
g'day, well after posting with thoughts of next uke, and the mention by a member of going for a custom, got me thinkin, so past week ive kinda been drawing down on paper what i want out of a uke, now before i go sending off what my ideas are, just wanted to know, ive seen a black binding around the ukuleles, is there a special name for it or is it just black binding... heres my ideas so far

-cut away tenor body
-black binding
-a high grade koa either 3-5A
-koa fingure board
-darkish kind of finish
-head stock????
-inlay designs???

theres are the two im not sure, head stock im thinking either just a plain jane, other is stratocaster style headstock (not a huge fan of cutaway thingy headstocks).... and inlay, i would like something but dont know what to put in.... so any ideas would be great, im sending my ideas with even a rough drawing to a few different luithers who's work i liked alot and see what prices they come back with, also what they can and cant do... anticipateing a wait of around 8-12 months

(deach if your reading this you where right, post 2 of 1000 ;) )

Find your builder and discuss this stuff with him. I think that's where you're most likely to get what you want...everybody has their own ideas about what they'd like to see - when you find the luthier who clicks with you, I think you'll find their creativity and skill will give you what you want!

itsme
10-31-2009, 11:23 AM
You mean a rosette?

keithy351
10-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Dude your in college. Save that money for something else:)

haha you know they where my first thoughts, but the thing is i dont drink, i dont smoke, dont take drugs so thats where my money would end up going if i did.... its a win win situation ;)..... and by saving $50 a week for what i like to call my "toy fund" meaning i can buy anything i want with it, i got the options of buying a new uke

thanks guys, now i know correct terminology, ive sent a few emails out, will be interested to see who takes me seriously, who replys and who will click.... cheers all

haolejohn
11-01-2009, 11:42 AM
haha you know they where my first thoughts, but the thing is i dont drink, i dont smoke, dont take drugs so thats where my money would end up going if i did.... its a win win situation ;)..... and by saving $50 a week for what i like to call my "toy fund" meaning i can buy anything i want with it, i got the options of buying a new uke

thanks guys, now i know correct terminology, ive sent a few emails out, will be interested to see who takes me seriously, who replys and who will click.... cheers all

I'm glad I went to college after spending 4 years in the Marines and 3 years in Hawaii. I was much more mature and I knew what I wanted to do with my life. I was still broke but that is b/c I chose to live in my own apartment. Good Luck. I want to suggest a builder to you. wai'olu ukuleles. they are made over near Ewa beach and I think the guy used to work for G-String. I want an ukulele with a hawaiian island chain sound hole and their price was very resonable to me.