Okay, I think I'm officially hooked.

scottie

Reaction score
I've had my Lanikai CK-T for 9 days now. I bought it to dip my toe in the proverbial ukulele water and I'm really liking what's happening. I'm playin' the bejeebus out of it and I have to say I'm hooked on the ukulele.

First, it actually sounds pretty darned good. The range of the instrument is, while narrower than the guitar, good enough to play around on. Sure, in one sense, the range available on a piano or guitar makes stuff available that isn't (at least prima facie) suitable for the ukulele, but I now have to think of ways to make a piece "complete" in all ways within less than 2 1/2 octaves, and in the context of our musical culture which is hooked on bass, bass heavy mixes, bass heavy music. . . . Amazingly, on my relatively cheap CK-T the high B is actually usable. The trick is not to look at is as something missing but the opportunity to explore something else.

Secondly, the size of it is all that and more. I will devote some serious time to building a repertoire because I can't wait to busk with it, it'll be so much more fun because I won't have to lug around my guitar. It's cute and fun in addition to being a "real" instrument.

I still practice my guitar every morning before work for a couple of hours but when I come home from work I now get an hour or two of uke practice. It's actually informing my fingerstyle technique on the guitar in addition to my practicing more.

It's nice that the ukulele has "caught on" and so many people are taking it up. . . there's so much available on YouTube and other internet places.

I'm not going to modify it in any way other than to put a strap button at the bottom. I like to wear my guitars high and even sitting and supporting it on my leg. I still have to "hold" the uke with my arms which messes a bit with my hand placement.

As far as a next uke is concerned, I've seriously thinking about the Collings UT-1, really nice solid mahogany uke made by a premier shop. I've played a couple and they're darker sounding and not quite as loud but they're spot on in every way and I like the dark sound. The UC-1 is $950 and the UT-1 is $1,050. I'll play with both more in order to decide before I actually get one, but right now I like the tenor size better. . . that could change in the future. This isn't UAS, I'm looking for that perfect instrument with which to. . . although some might say I'm just in denial.

:music:

Resistance is futile.:D

Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Photo 48.jpg
    Photo 48.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Photo 36.jpg
    Photo 36.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo 21.jpg
    Photo 21.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Photo 31.jpg
    Photo 31.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 18
Dude! I think you're my long lost brother!

MandoPaul.jpg

(OK, so that's a mandolin, but you get the idea.)

I was just thinking the same thing (that I must be hooked). About 5 weeks ago I bought my first cheapy uke. I am now awaiting the imminent arrival of my Kala acacia tenor from MGM.

...and now I find myself lusting after yet another, and either cursing my hasty decision, or realising I might just have to buy more than one.

I was looking at MGM's ebay shop 2 days after my acacia purchase and saw a really sweet-looking Left-handed mango tenor that is just so pretty. I want it.

hooked, lined and sinkered.

davidp

David, don't second guess your first uke. You have to play it to be able to decide what you do or don't like.

Paul, those whistles look and sound impressive.

I am a long time guitar player as well and recently picked up a Collings UT 1. I played with it for a couple of days and then switched to a low G string and off I went. It is a wonderful instrument that, as Scottie said, is spot on in every way. I am spending a lot more time with it than any of my guitars and have found with the low G, it covers the full range.

I have been bitten by the flea.

Mitch

I picked up the ukulele on November 12, 2008. Almost exactly one year ago. I've been playing another awesome 4-stringer since 1991 and never would have thought that another instrument would give me as much as the bass. Well, I was wrong. Ever since I played my very first chord on the uke, I am hooked. Also, watching other ukulele players strum, pick, rock, and plug gives me a lot of joy and I just want to pick up one of my beauties and uke along!

Starting to play the ukulele was one of the best decisions I've ever made. And joining this great community was another great decision :eek:ld: :music:

Scottie, it came with Aquila strings and the dealer sent me a wound low G. I believe it's .024 gauge.

Mitch

Scottie, it came with Aquila strings and the dealer sent me a wound low G. I believe it's .028 gauge.

Mitch

Top Bottom