Ovation Electric Ukulele

nickman2

Reaction score
I am currently thinking about buying a Applause UAE20 Acoustic electric Soprano Ukulele. I have no idea how it sounds or how it plays and i really would love you guys if you could tell me anything about this beautiful instrament. I love all of you guys and your advice so please help me.

I am currently thinking about buying a Applause UAE20 Acoustic electric Soprano Ukulele. I have no idea how it sounds or how it plays and i really would love you guys if you could tell me anything about this beautiful instrament. I love all of you guys and your advice so please help me.

I wouldn't recommend it.

It is a very 'tinny' sound that really leaves a lot to be desired. If I were you I would seriously consider a Flea, Mainland Soprano or Ohana Soprano instead.

It does have a good sound amplified though.

I wouldn't recommend it.

It is a very 'tinny' sound that really leaves a lot to be desired. If I were you I would seriously consider a Flea, Mainland Soprano or Ohana Soprano instead.

It does have a good sound amplified though.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ovation, but I totally agree with Matt here... You will see much better results from what he recommends...

That is a tenor. Those are far superior instruments to the Sopranos IMHO.
Nice one Aldrine, but Matt makes a good point. The soprano doesn't compare to the tenor for playability. Both are decent plugged in, though. Plus, there's that player factor. This guy could make my kid's $30 Leolani catch fire!

Still waiting to hear DiMeola on one of those bad boys...

Well I think it depends on whether you're looking for a ukulele to use predominantly plugged in :)
I had a play around with one in the store, and did not like how it sounded unplugged at all (though this might have had something to do with the crap strings that come with it from factory). But it seems to sound great plugged in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcChU5S7LzM

If you're looking for an electric ukulele, check out Bugsgear Eleuke and Risa too :D

Risa have the most solid and (IMO) best build quality out of the three. They have several models.
I owned one for 4 months, and it sounds really good through an amp. But in the end, I didn't like the Friction tuners that they come with, the not-so-pretty design (I had the Ukestick) and I wanted something with active electronics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuqQWon71do

I hear that Eleuke are also great stuff, and they are the only one out of the three to have active electronics. They run on a 9v battery with built-in preamp, and have a headphone jack too for quiet listening. I hear the newer models also have an mp3 input so you can play along. I'm waiting for my Concert Eleuke to arrive - its currently in shipping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u1gbUQoZwg

Last edited:
Personally, I've had my hands on both the Soprano and Tenor Ovation Ukes and they both play fine to me (strings are a factor of course), and they do give a different sound than most Ukes...but they're not horrible. I think they're more suited for plugged-in play though. And they seem durable, I know a couple people with either the Soprano or Tenor and they love it - hate it or love it though, it all comes down to if YOU like it and if YOU enjoy it. I mean, it's hard to find an Uke that EVERYBODY will love and enjoy - there's always going to be at least one person with something negative to say...

I say you give it a shot...or at least find somebody who owns one and play around with it and if you like it, then get it.

Personally, I've had my hands on both the Soprano and Tenor Ovation Ukes and they both play fine to me (strings are a factor of course), and they do give a different sound than most Ukes...but they're not horrible. I think they're more suited for plugged-in play though. And they seem durable, I know a couple people with either the Soprano or Tenor and they love it - hate it or love it though, it all comes down to if YOU like it and if YOU enjoy it. I mean, it's hard to find an Uke that EVERYBODY will love and enjoy - there's always going to be at least one person with something negative to say...

I say you give it a shot...or at least find somebody who owns one and play around with it and if you like it, then get it.

What strings do you have on yours? I have a tenor coming in tomorrow and I think it's coming with ghs strings. I like the Worths clears with a wound low-g on my Kala and Lanikai, but not sure of the sound on the Ovation. Aquillas? :confused:

Top Bottom