HELP! any cpu/electronic people?

Ame

Reaction score
So, my external hard drive lightweight broke. Not the actual HD, but the plug to it. (I have a 250gb Seagate EXT HD and it sucks ass. I hate it. Whoever designed it should die, now.) What is the best solution for my problem? I was able to remove the HD from the case, but now I need to put that into something.. or is there another way to get my data off ASAP?

My uke contest video is on there (along with everything that was on my laptop which I backed up recently and deleted off my laptop because I thought it was safe on the HD..), if I dont get it off by the end of the month I'm screwed.

Can anyone help? please?

How exactly did the plug break? I'm assuming (since you called it lightweight) that this is an external drive with only a USB cable (no separate power cable)...and I'm also assuming that the end of the cable that attaches to the drive case is permanently attached (and not just something that you can simply replace)

Can you post a picture of the disk that you took out of the enclosure? Specifically, the back end where the internal cables attached the drive to the chassis. That'll be a big help in determining your options.

There's a pretty good chance that you could get away with purchasing an "External Harddisk Enclosure" and slapping it in there...but the type of disk will determine what kind of enclosure you'll need to get (and how much it'll cost)...and this is all assuming that it's not some kind of proprietary Seagate-thing (which it shouldn't be...most manufacturers are good about using standardized parts now days)

Reactions: Ame
LOL. Well, since you're technical enough to crack open your external drive, you just need to purchase another hard drive enclosure. I would take the HD to your local computer retailer so you can get the correct enclosure (depending on interface of the HD). You can also alternatively plug it into an existing computer (again, depending on the interface of the HD).

I like going to Microcenter in Santa Clara. They have the best stuff. Otherwise, your best bet is Fry's (I really hate this place). ;)

Reactions: Ame
Top Bottom