PDA

View Full Version : tenor c strings

obxtom
11-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Are all tenor c strings wound? If so, why? If not, why? Is it optional on all or required on some? Having never played guitar, I don't care for the wound string and was wondering if I will have to get used to it when my new tenor uke arrives.

buddhuu
11-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Nope, by no means are they all wound.

My Worth tenor strings have no wound strings. The Aquila tenor strings I used to play had no wound strings.

No need to worry. :)

itsme
11-01-2009, 01:01 PM
No, they're not. I've used both Aquilas and Worth tenor strings with non-wound Cs.

My advice would be to go ahead and order some new strings to have on hand. You'll want spares anyway in case one breaks. Don't know what you're getting, but sometimes factory instruments come with cheap/crappy strings on them. :eek:

obxtom
11-02-2009, 11:02 AM
thanks to both of you for responding. I feel better already. My son has a Kala tenor with a wound c string and I think the ko'olau tenor I ordered may come with the wound c also. Good to know I can just change it, but if ko'olau puts it on there aren't they saying that's how it plays best? I hear your minds working, good call, I'll ask ko'olau!

freedive135
11-02-2009, 11:53 AM
It seems that most of the reason for the wound C is a size thing, an unwound C from the D'Addario Pro Arte Tenor set is quite thick.
With a wound string they can be thinner for the tension needed to get in tune.
This is also why Low G strings are wound.
With my Low G Uke I have it wound G & C, give it a nicer tone.

I have played a Ko' Tenor very nice but I don't care for the Gold strings that come on them at all, the shop I use had one strung Aquilla for a guy and it was sweet!!! (they let me play it before he picked it up)

Boozelele
11-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I would assume the Koolau will come with Koolau gold strings on it. The C will NOT be wound, but the G will be (if it's low G). I have a Pono tenor that came that way. I put a Worth Low G unwound string on it, left the other Koolau golds on and love it. Im not a fan of the wound strings either.

obxtom
11-03-2009, 12:46 AM
thanks all for the good feedback. I did email ko'olau and john kitakis responded that they set them up with the wound 3rd string, unless you ask for unwound. When I asked what the advantage was with the wound he said no advantage, just a different resonance, not better just different. Bottom line, I'll assume the folks making the uke want it to sound as good as it can, so I'll try the wound 3rd (but keep a set of aquila unwound on hand). thanks again from a novice (2 1/2 months in).