Tuners for slot headstocks

Dave Higham

Reaction score
Between Bordeaux & the Atlantic. S.W.France
There was a some discussion about tuners a little while ago and the only suitable ones seem to be the Grovers that Stewmac sells for $37.37 + shipping and customs if you're in Europe.

These might be a load of crap, but they are certainly cheap. Thomann have a fixed shipping rate of 10 Euros or £10 for Europe and a minimum order of 25 Euros. There's a vast amount of stuff on their site.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/dixon_mechanik.htm

Oh yes, they are complete rubbish! If I could get them, I'd use schallers but the only company importing the side tuners has fallen out with them and will not be bringing them into the country. Pity because I have loads of straight posts for them...

Pete, you've got a PM and an email from me regarding this very subject...

They'll do for me - just got a couple sets 2 weeks ago to compare withthe Schallers I've be a usin...

My Kala acacia came with these fitted, and I have a purely cosmetic question if anyone can advise.

Mine are the chrome version, and stuck at the top of this beautiful dark wooden thing they look a little like chrome wheels on a carriage.

I want to replace the knobs to try and lessen the impact, and I see that there are replacement knobs available from Grover - http://www.grotro.com/replacement_buttons_for_machine_.htm

Does anyone know about sizes of '1020E Full size ebony' compared to '2050E Mini size ebony' and whether they can be fitted to these particular tuners? Or where I can find out?

davidp

Can you replace just the knobs? I don't want to be rough with the tuners, but it seems like the only way to remove the knobs is with some amount of force. There isn't just a little screw to unscrew :(

Gilberts are the ones I use. They are excellent with no worries about backlash or loose fittings. They are a little pricey, but worth it if you have a custom or high quality production uke. See link below:

http://www.specialtytuners.com/

Can you replace just the knobs? I don't want to be rough with the tuners, but it seems like the only way to remove the knobs is with some amount of force. There isn't just a little screw to unscrew :(

:) well, I am presuming it can be done (otherwise they would not offer replacements), but I am not sure what size to buy, and once I figured that, my next questions were going to be - How is it done? Is it hard to do?

davidp

It's easy, it's just a screw. The knobs slip right off. Sorry, I can't remember what size they were though.....:(

The Grovers that come with the Kala Acacia Tenor don't have a screw, or at least not at the top of the knob where I would expect it to be. I tried applying a bit of force, but they did not seem to budge. Am I doing something wrong?

The Grovers that come with the Kala Acacia Tenor don't have a screw, or at least not at the top of the knob where I would expect it to be. I tried applying a bit of force, but they did not seem to budge. Am I doing something wrong?

They might just be a very tight push fit. I have an email query with Grover now, so if I find out anything about whether they are suitable for the slotted peghead tuners and how to replace them, I will post and let you know.

davidp

Last edited:
Grovers don't have a screw, they are pressed on. Much more than a tight push-fit.
Here's quite a good video from Chris Paulick showing how to change them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZLeR9VqYY0

Thanks Dave, sorry to bring this topic back from the dead, but I have been offline for the last week (dead wireless tower), and just wanted to thank you for the link.

I like the second method of using the vice to remove and press the new button, works a treat.

...but I don't think I will remove the tuners from my uke to try it though ...it's too new and I have no workshop, vice, drill press, workshop skills, etc.

davidp

Now I'm resurrecting it again!
What do the experts think of Wilkinson tuners? I haven't found any specifically for slotted headstocks but they could be modified without too much trouble. They look like Gotoh or Grover copies but they are a lot cheaper. And you can even get them in black.
Oh, and one more thing, they are the ones that have the buttons held on by a screw, so they'd be easier to change if you wanted to.

Top Bottom